PDA

View Full Version : Helmet straps - cleaning/washing tips?

guylimey
07-15-2010, 11:02 AM
Helmet straps - cleaning/washing tips? I have a couple of Giro helmets and the straps need a clean. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Steve in SLO
07-15-2010, 11:06 AM
If they're really bad, try a bit of dishwashing soap in water and use an old toothbrush to scrub. That usually gets rid of stains/sweat, etc.

ahumblecycler
07-15-2010, 11:07 AM
I take my helmet in the shower, and I use shampoo on my straps. I shampoo them at least once a week, but I wear the helmet into the shower on a regular basis.

RADaines
07-15-2010, 11:12 AM
If they're really bad, try a bit of dishwashing soap in water and use an old toothbrush to scrub. That usually gets rid of stains/sweat, etc.

Woolite works well and is easy to rinse out.

Steve in SLO
07-15-2010, 11:15 AM
I take my helmet in the shower, and I use shampoo on my straps. I shampoo them at least once a week, but I wear the helmet into the shower on a regular basis.
But then how do you wash your hair?!?

Birddog
07-15-2010, 11:40 AM
Take the pads out and strap the helmet in the dishwasher. Just make sure you leave the "heated dry" cycle OFF.

veloduffer
07-15-2010, 11:50 AM

ROFL!

To the original OP: I rinse them with plain water after a sweaty ride and occasionally wash with dish detergent.

ahumblecycler
07-15-2010, 11:58 AM
What :confused:

It gives my straps that fresh scent :p

Plus I get to clean the entire helmet :cool:

Hair, I have hair? :D

All in good fun ... my cat does give me strange looks :banana:

William
07-15-2010, 12:21 PM
Lot's of good info in the links at the bottom of the page.

That being said, keep a spray bottle of a 50/50 solution of isopropyl alcohol and water. Spritz your straps and helmet pads after every ride. The water slows down the evaporation and allows it to penetrate, the alcohol does it's job. I've been doing it for years and it doesn't hurt the gear.

William

veloduffer
07-15-2010, 12:34 PM
Rolling On Floor Laughing (ROFL)

The vision in my mind of wearing a helmet in the shower cracked me up. I'll have to do that - I think I'll have my wife and kid in stitches. :D

Charles M
07-15-2010, 12:56 PM
http://www.trialzone.com.au/img/productImages/Motorex%20helmet%20Care.JPG

Awesome stuff...

I've used it on moto lids because it cleans, de-germs and doesnt harm foam at all...

pdmtong
07-15-2010, 02:10 PM
I just rinse out with fresh water after any particularly sweaty ride. hang dry - good to go

jlwdm
07-15-2010, 03:54 PM
Here is a list I copied from a prior thread. Probably one at the bottom of the page:

i have to soak them in soapy water in the sink,
rinse them
and let them air dry
once a month.
sometimes once a week.

Spritz (from a spray bottle) the pads and straps with a 50/50 mixture of rubbing alcohol and water after every ride.

H2O and soap...it works....Take it to the shower with you...

WOW i must be the laziest man alive i put mine on the top shelf in the dishwasher with a dime size amount of detergent a voila it is clean...

Wash the pads in a bowl with lukewarm water and Woolite. Rinse thoroughly and air dry. The helmet straps can be pretty well cleaned while holding in running water and using a soft fingernail brush.

Once every couple weeks lather up dish liquid in my hands and kinda wash my hands with the straps between em and rinse...

Cold water in a bucket with laundry detergent, then dip helmet in and out of bucket to create agitation followed by change to fresh cold water in bucket and same procedure for rinse. A soft brush can be used on fabric straps to loosen sweat and dirt.
After, take a towel and bunch it up in the shape of a ball and place it in helmet with straps around the balled up towel. Remove after some time and air dry helmet (hang up on line).

Jeff

Squint
07-15-2010, 04:54 PM
Once a week, I spray the pads and straps with the removable showerhead. Then I let it dry for 24 hours or, if I'm in a hurry, I aim a small fan at the inside of the helmet and it's dry in ~4 hours.

All the salt and stuff is water soluble so there's no need for soap or anything else other than water.

Peter P.
07-15-2010, 08:45 PM
My method is similar to William's, except I use Witch Hazel.

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT, put your helmet in the washing machine.

Don't ask how I know.

rounder
07-15-2010, 10:34 PM
Whatever you do, do not place your helmet in the dryer after. Loving wife did that one time and there were all these little tiny cracks.

irideti
07-16-2010, 06:50 PM
Mix water w/ baking soda. Soak straps for few hours. Rinse off. The straps will be 90% new.

dsimon
07-16-2010, 07:07 PM
+1 on the dishwasher But i leave my pads in clean as a whistle

RFC
07-17-2010, 12:59 AM
Throw helmet in the pool, let it soak, dry in sun.

54ny77
07-17-2010, 02:20 AM
actually you only need to soak 'em for about 5-10 minutes. i've been doing this forever. works like a charm, and costs just about zilch.

you can also just sprinkle some baking soda on wet helmet straps & pads (after running 'em under water) and let that sit for 5 min. then rinse. voila!

Mix water w/ baking soda. Soak straps for few hours. Rinse off. The straps will be 90% new.

purplecu22
07-17-2010, 06:17 AM
Start out simple, just rinse under water and let air dry. You will be amazed how much of a difference this makes, when you put it on the next time.

:banana:

achurch
07-17-2010, 07:36 PM
My wife thought it was funny enough for photo, thanks for the advice :banana:

ahumblecycler
07-17-2010, 08:21 PM
Love the sunglasses! :cool:

Birddog
07-17-2010, 09:13 PM
That's clever. Install an outside shower right next to your service entrance and meter base.