PDA

View Full Version : Speedplay - silver shims - prevent the rocking?

BdaGhisallo
07-15-2010, 08:37 AM
I am considering giving the Zeros another try to help with some foot positioning issues that I can overcome with my beloved spd-sl pedals. Since I tried them five years ago, SP have released those thin silver shims that they tout as carbon sole protectors. I have heard others say that using these shims between the base plate and the cleat will help alleviate the pedal body wear that leads to the dreaded cleat rocking.

Do they work for that? The Zeros can't be beat for adjustability but I don't want to suffer with that cleat rocking if it can be at all avoided.

Anyone with experience?

Thanks,
Geoff

RADaines
07-15-2010, 09:52 AM
I am using one of the metal carbon sole protectors between the base plate and the "cleat." SP recommends using this if you are using cleat wedges, which I am on one foot (I assume it prevents wear on the wedge). The metal plate is only 0.2 mm thick and I really don't notice that it is there at all. I sense no physical difference between the two feet/pedals. There was an occasional squeaking caused by the plate and pedal rubbing, however this went away after a couple of weeks. Also, I am not familiar with the rocking that you refer to, I have never experienced it during the 4+ years that I have been using SP Zeros. Sorry if this was not much help.

dcuper1
07-15-2010, 11:03 AM
Here is a description of the rocking issue:
http://www.epdoc.com/mvv/speedplay/index.html

I had this same problem myself and got rid of speed play. I will look into these metal plates. If that can overcome the rocking issue I would look into investing on the speed play again.

RADaines
07-15-2010, 11:48 AM
If the rocking is caused by wear on the pedal or the cleat "springs," I don't really see how the metal plate would solve the problem. BTW, I currently have over 10,000 miles on my pedals and I replace the cleats after 5000 miles or so. Thanks for that link.

John H.
07-15-2010, 11:50 AM
This is very interesting- especially the article linked to.
I am having the exact same experience with Speedplay pedals.
I have been a long time Shimano SPD SL user- no foot issues at all.
I switched to Speedplay zeros this year to improve my position.
I went to Zero pedals with the +1/4 axle to put my feet wider.
Position-wise, this was totally the way to go- and initially I loved the pedals. Easy to get in and out, felt great, etc.
After about 3 months I started getting this nagging pain on the ball of my left foot. Gets so sore sometimes that going over bumps in road hurt. Can't wait to get off my bike. When the pain is bad I have a hard time clipping into the pedal on that side.
Have tried various cleat positions and wedging scenarios, even had my orthotics re-worked. I still get the pain. I have also tried going back to a narrow position- the wide part is good for me.
So, must be the pedals.
Right now I am having some longer axles made for Look Keo2max pedals- as soon as I get them I will be getting off the Speedplays.

davidlee
07-15-2010, 11:58 AM
When the pedal body gets worn there is no stoppping the rocking without replacing the body or the pedal itself. Dirt and grit in cleat vastly speeds this process up as well as the side you unclip from at lights.
Went back to Shimano and never looked back although I do miss the double sided entry for sure.
d

Keith A
07-15-2010, 12:43 PM
Similar story for me. I initially bought a set of SpeedPlay Zero's and SPD-SL's to figure out which pedal system to use on my bikes. After riding both for a while, I went for the Zeros and bought several sets to put on the bikes I ride regularly. I was happy for quite some time, until the pedal rocking starting becoming an issue. I've been through several sets of cleats and I finally decided to switch over to SPD-SL's. So I again purchased several sets of these pedals and removed all my Zero's :(

The SPD-SL's are perfectly fine pedals and I do like the fact that I can walk on these easier than the Zero's (without the cleat covers). However, I still like the Zero's better...when they aren't rocking :crap:

John H.
07-15-2010, 01:02 PM
I don't think that I even notice the rock- but obviously my left foot does as it hurts on every ride!

Tim
07-15-2010, 01:05 PM
The rocking is caused by worn pedals- I had exactly the same rocking situation this spring. Changed cleats- it helped a bit- but the real problem was solved with new pedals. I managed to get about 12-13,000 kms. on the pedals even with changing the cleats every 5,000 kms. or so.
I don't really think that the rocking will be avoided with the silver shims- since the shim is designed to protect the shoe, not as an interface between the pedal and the cleat.

Charles M
07-15-2010, 01:12 PM
The shims work as shims.

They do not prevent wear and they dont aleviate rocking.

Some folks find the very free float and the side to sode stability uncomfortable from day one. Others not it more with wear.

Personally I have to trouble with it (I could use speedplay tomorrow and wouldnt mind), but I prefer the notably better stability of LOOK / Shimano pedal platforms a lot more.

BdaGhisallo
07-15-2010, 01:32 PM
Cheers guys. Sounds like the rocking issues still obtain with SPs. Will have to work a little more with my spd-sl positioning.

McQueen
07-15-2010, 01:51 PM
It's nice to hear this argument, as I've recently switched to Shimano from Speedplay X series, and I've had some buyers remorse, specifically over entry issues. I've been riding clipless pedals for about 17 years, and I feel like a noob, when we're 5-10 pedalstrokes up the road and my left cleat is still not engaged. (you think it could be a tension setting or something?)

When I go back to my crit bike, (which I left the speedplays on and use my beat-up sidi's), I pop right in.

At least with some of the carbon shoe, wear and tear issues, I can feel better about the Shimanos.

RADaines
07-16-2010, 07:19 AM
I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I find this thread interesting. On my ride last night I tried very hard to detect this rocking but couldn't. I have just under 12K miles on my Zero pedals. The cleats are mounted along the center line of the shoe and I regularly lube the metal contact points on the pedal and cleat with Prolink. Other than some staining on the resin part of the pedals, the pedals show little (right) to no (left) wear. There are a couple of scratches on the beveled area of the right pedal. Maybe I just haven't put enough miles on them yet for the problem to show itself.

Dave
07-16-2010, 07:29 AM
I've only used the X-2 model, but never had any problems with them. If the pedal body gets worn on one side and/or you notice that the pedal body is digging a rut into the 3-hole adapter, it indicates that you need wedges to correct a foot alignment problem.

I make my own wear plates from plastic milk jug material. I use them on carbon soled shoes that have no 3-hole adapter. One set will usually last for 5,000 miles.

davidlee
07-16-2010, 11:18 AM
I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I find this thread interesting. On my ride last night I tried very hard to detect this rocking but couldn't. I have just under 12K miles on my Zero pedals. The cleats are mounted along the center line of the shoe and I regularly lube the metal contact points on the pedal and cleat with Prolink. Other than some staining on the resin part of the pedals, the pedals show little (right) to no (left) wear. There are a couple of scratches on the beveled area of the right pedal. Maybe I just haven't put enough miles on them yet for the problem to show itself.

One way to see how much wear there is: You can engage the shoe on to the pedal whilst bike is in workstand( without your foot in it of course!!) and flip the shoe over ( so you can see the bottom) and see if you can rock it back and forth by hand.
When I did that it was a surprisingly large amount. When riding behind guys in the local rides I now notice how many of the pedals have this issue as I watch their pedal stroke and see the rocking. Most of 'em don't even notice I think.
d

dcuper1
07-16-2010, 11:51 AM
True that. It took the rocking to be extreme for me to notice.

Keith A
07-16-2010, 12:50 PM
Here's the visual from the website previously mentioned that illustrates the rocking issue...

http://www.epdoc.com/mvv/speedplay/images/rocksmall.gif