PDA

View Full Version : Ft. Collins, CO

flydhest
07-15-2010, 06:36 AM
Anybody here live and ride in Ft. Collins? I'm going to be out there starting Friday through Tuesday with the wife visiting mom-in-law. I shipped a bike out and am looking for some riding. My availability is not entirely clear yet, but if someone is interested in some riding, especially Sunday, and would care to show me around . . . I'll buy the first round at New Belgium :)

Seriously, though, if we have forum folk in Ft. Collins with any suggestions, I'd be happy to hear it.

tpendleton
07-15-2010, 10:54 AM
I have taken some beautiful rides in that area:

1. Ft. Collins towards Red Feather Lakes to Poudre Canyon Highway back to Ft. Collins (287 -> CR74 -> CR162 -> CR68 -> CR69 -> HWY14 ->287).
2. Estes Park/Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park--epic and not too far away
3. Poudre Canyon Road west (HWY14)

Enjoy!
Todd

bigreen505
07-15-2010, 11:36 AM
Drop a note to @chrisspagnuolo on Twitter or through his blog, zenontwowheels.com, someone from the university cycling team (http://www.ramscycling.com/contacts) or call a local shop like Lee's Cyclery.

It really depends what kind of riding you want to do, lots of options in the area. From town you can head west to the Horsetooth/Lory State Park areas, or head west on 287 up the canyon. Search Fort Collins on Map My Ride.

xjoex
07-15-2010, 07:51 PM
If you can sneak out the Estes and ride part of the Peak to Peak you will love it! Such a cool ride.

-joe

Peter P.
07-15-2010, 08:41 PM
When I visited a few years ago, I rode a loop in both directions to Horsetooth reservoir, which I think was 40 miles, just using local maps.

I rode to the top of Rist (sp?) canyon and back down on a Sunday morning.

I rode from Ft. Collins to Estes Park, via Devil's Gulch Road, which was about 45 miles. I swear you'll start singing "The Hills Are Alive With The Sound of Music" when you reach the top, the view is that breathtaking.

Riding around Ft. Collins is itself fun because it's dead flat and there's a bike lane network that'll get you anywhere in town safely.

The mountains out there are something else.

kenw
07-15-2010, 11:15 PM
& Hwy 34 to Estes will have lots of RV traffic. As posted, the view from the top of Devil's Gulch above Glen Haven is truly spectacular (so is the climb to get to the top)

Rist Canyon good, & a favorite with the local climbers. About 12 miles to the
summit from Bellvue with a stretch of 12+% near the top. Continue west down the 15% grade into Stove Prairie, turn left 7-8 miles to Masonville (caveat: cattle guards early on/unmarked & some 12%). Straight thru Masonville (not much there) on CR 38E to Ft Collins going past Horsetooth Mtn Park (water/toilets). A couple of good climbs/descents along the way. Intersects with Taft Hill Rd. About 40 miles total. No services.

A bit more mellow: any paved farm road north and east of town: loop to Waverly or Wellington or Windsor (we like our bedroom communities to start with W), decent roads for the most part (except for Hwy 14). No services in Waverly.

Note: this Sunday New Belgium is hosting a bike carnival; it will be a zoo.

Email if you want more info. Ken

scrooge
07-15-2010, 11:20 PM
Stop by REI and look at the "Road Cycling Colorado" book...you'll surely find something in there.

flydhest
07-16-2010, 08:02 AM
Thanks everyone, very helpful. As long as I remember all the stuff I need to get the bike together, looks like I'll have some good riding. FedEx is dropping the bike off today.

If, however, I don't make the right list of stuff to bring, is there a favored bike shop in town among Serotta-istas? Peloton is close to my mother-in-law's house, but I haven't been in to check it out.

Thanks in advance.

Oh, and the thought of 12 miles of climbing is simultaneously making me giddy with anticipation and nauseated with fear. The longest climb on my regular rides is about a mile. :eek:

nahtnoj
07-16-2010, 10:28 AM
Don't forget that TSA has a 7 inch length limit for carry-on tools...

flydhest
07-16-2010, 01:48 PM
Don't forget that TSA has a 7 inch length limit for carry-on tools...
Very helpful, but will be checking the bike gear. I had not realized this, though.

cloudguy
07-16-2010, 03:24 PM
If you can, check out Boulder too and try and ride Flagstaff. Its the premier climb within the premier CO town for road biking. There's nothing else quite like it on the front range.

scrooge
07-16-2010, 11:56 PM
If you can, check out Boulder too and try and ride Flagstaff. Its the premier climb within the premier CO town for road biking. There's nothing else quite like it on the front range.

Now that's just mean. ;)

I rode that last year and gained an entirely new appreciation for "Boulder-fit". I can't imagine riding up that multiple times a week.

Louis
07-17-2010, 12:12 AM
There was a story on the BBC the other day about medical MJ in Boulder.

Apparently having a hangnail is enough to get a prescription...

cloudguy
07-17-2010, 01:14 AM
I rode it 4 times this week, with 90+ temps. On one of those days, 2 pros passed me on a steep section having a conversation, while I was gasping for air.