PDA

View Full Version : Sergeant Schultz Defense

dumbod
07-15-2010, 06:10 AM
aka "I know nothiiiiing"

LA now claims that he was nothing but an employee of Tailwind Sports and knew nothing about how the team was run; that he never even met any of the management.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/15/sports/cycling/15armstrong.html?ref=sports

Wonder what he's running away from?

ahumblecycler
07-15-2010, 08:03 AM
Innocent until proven guilty ...

Cantdog
07-15-2010, 08:31 AM
Innocent until proven guilty ...

That only works in court...under public scrutiny it's guilty until proven innocent.

Bruce K
07-15-2010, 09:47 AM
Sorry, but this just really torques me off.

Rant (sort of) on.

This seems to me to be a total case of political grandstanding and wasting tax dollars for headlines.

The US Postal Service got tons of PR and good will WORLDWIDE for the sponsorship. How were they damaged or defrauded?

Going off allegations from Flloyd Landis they're doing this? A "convicted" doper who was stripped of his TdF title (with another team - wasn't the same team as Tyler???) after fighting the findings and whose career has been non-existent ever since. One last headline grab I guess.

It just seems to me to be another case of let's tear down the successful ions because it makes someone feel good.

I really don't care at this point if Lance doped or not. If he did, and it seems at the time pretty much everyone did, then he was the best on a level playing field. If he didn't then he was extraordinary.

Either way, the only thing this whole circus will accomplish is to derail the work of the Lance Armstrong Foundation and all it's good work in cancer research, treatment, and survivorship.

Hardly seems worth the cost in both dollars and service to society.

Rant over.

BK

Rueda Tropical
07-15-2010, 12:46 PM
Either way, the only thing this whole circus will accomplish is to derail the work of the Lance Armstrong Foundation and all it's good work in cancer research, treatment, and survivorship.

Rant over.

BK

So to be fair should we restore all the dopers palmares and pay Vino, Valverde and co. for the time and earnings lost. After all if LA gets a pass why not everyone else? A level playing field.

TMB
07-15-2010, 01:51 PM
Sorry, but this just really torques me off.

Rant (sort of) on.

This seems to me to be a total case of political grandstanding and wasting tax dollars for headlines.

The US Postal Service got tons of PR and good will WORLDWIDE for the sponsorship. How were they damaged or defrauded?

Going off allegations from Flloyd Landis they're doing this? A "convicted" doper who was stripped of his TdF title (with another team - wasn't the same team as Tyler???) after fighting the findings and whose career has been non-existent ever since. One last headline grab I guess.

It just seems to me to be another case of let's tear down the successful ions because it makes someone feel good.

I really don't care at this point if Lance doped or not. If he did, and it seems at the time pretty much everyone did, then he was the best on a level playing field. If he didn't then he was extraordinary.

Rant over.

BK

Seriously?

That's your world view?

Lifelover
07-15-2010, 02:35 PM
So to be fair should we restore all the dopers palmares and pay Vino, Valverde and co. for the time and earnings lost. After all if LA gets a pass why not everyone else? A level playing field.

Everyone else that was not actively caught has gotten a pass.

Lifelover
07-15-2010, 02:39 PM

Either way, the only thing this whole circus will accomplish is to derail the work of the Lance Armstrong Foundation and all it's good work in cancer research, treatment, and survivorship...
BK

Don't sweat it. While the foundation is doing work world wide, it is still a USA based effort. For the most part, Americans don't give a rat's ass about cycling or doping. Baseball and our media has numbed us to it all.

Even if it's proven that LA (and everyone else in the peloton) doped, it will be a very small bump in the road for his foundation.

Bruce K
07-15-2010, 03:34 PM
World view? No.

View of this circus. Yes.

Lance has never been found in violation of doping regulations. Landis has.

I guess I just don't see the point of this "investigation". After years of attempts by numerous sources to prove that Lance doped, there is still nothing so to take the reversal/admission (and is it really an admission when you have denied it for so long) and accusations of someone who was caught and then denied it for years as a basis for spending large amounts of dollars seems ridiculous to me.

What purpose does this all serve now?

And by the way, what team was Floyd on when he was caught? Oh yeah, Phonak. How many USPS riders were caught doping while with the team? If memory serves me correctly, the answer is none. How many Phonak riders? Agian, if memory serves, at least 2 prominent ones and I believe a couple of others.

Is LA the nicest guy on the planet - it doesn't appear so. But I just don't see the point of this or any rational basis for it either.

But yes, I am very concerned about the effect it could have on an organization that is doing and has done massive amount of work in the field of cancer fighting.

And hey, it's my opinion and you can have yours. We don't have to agree.

BK

Elefantino
07-16-2010, 01:46 AM
If he cheated, he cheated. If he didn't, he didn't.

But the feds have never been swayed by the "he's done a lot of good" defense (see Louis, Joe). Frankly, neither has the public. It could be argued that Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa saved baseball and made a lot of people happy, but they cheated and are now pariahs. McGwire has as much chance of getting into the Hall of Fame as I do.

I think Livestrong takes a big hit if the allegations are true, because the public doesn't like being lied to.

Neither do grand juries. Particularly federal grand juries.

And if his latest defense is that he didn't own part of Tailwind, when he earlier testified UNDER OATH that he did, well, dannnnnnnng.