PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Riding WA Hip Replacement

97CSI
07-14-2010, 05:51 PM
Been off the bike for while due to a bad hip. Started having the problem right after the Bike VA last year. Been getting progressively worse. Probably going to need a metal joint before too long. Wondering if any of you has had a new hip and how it is working out for your riding? Thanks.

SPOKE
07-14-2010, 09:56 PM
Got a new left on 12/8/09. Working very well. Just do your research and speak with at least a couple different doctors.
SPOKE

pdmtong
07-14-2010, 10:03 PM
my riding partner had a full replacement (ball, socket) last september. he started riding again two months later and now is still faster than me. pisses me off

stackie
07-14-2010, 10:27 PM
pdmtong

watch that speed typing. if that s would have worked its way back a bit more, you're buddy be in for a whole different type of replacement.

:beer:

jon

pdmtong
07-14-2010, 11:53 PM
pdmtong

watch that speed typing. if that s would have worked its way back a bit more, you're buddy be in for a whole different type of replacement.

:beer:

jon

saw that. fixed. hilarious. un-intentional. thanks

Bruce K
07-15-2010, 02:45 AM
Same here. Two guys in our group are riding with replacements and they haven't slowed a bit.

BK

Kingfisher
07-15-2010, 08:02 AM
had mine done 12/06 and i fee as strong as ever, your cycling muscles will remember and it won't be long before you are back on the bike....he key is finding a good surgeon, letting him/her know you are a cyclist and going for the largest "ball" he can put in there. pm me if you'd like to talk more.

cheers

bob

sjbraun
07-15-2010, 08:06 AM
My buddy Bruce has been consistently kicking my tail ever since he had a hip replacement. His pedal stroke really improved after the hip replacement.

harlond
07-15-2010, 08:13 AM
Going on 3 years with my resurfacing and never think about it on the bike (or off, really).

97CSI
11-06-2010, 09:14 AM
Any more 'hipsters' with experience. Scheduled for my new Stryker ceramic-on-ceramic joint on the 22nd and am looking for a reason to 'chicken out'.

firerescuefin
11-06-2010, 09:50 AM
CSI...good luck! I have a hip scope scheduled for Nov 15th to fix a labral tear as well as remove a bony lesion from the femoral head that caused the impingement that caused the labral tear. Celebrex has allowed me to put in the miles this summer. I am really looking forward to getting this taken care and getting back into real riding shape. Keep us abreast of your progress.

Geoff

granitebastard
11-06-2010, 10:38 AM
I have a good friend out in Highlands Ranch, CO by the name of Robert. He has had both hips replaced and swears by a Dr. out in Boulder that has worked out a new technique. Robert is a triathlete and an avid Mountain biker. He puts on the Nissan X-terra tris out in that area. He told me these guys are awesome and he would recommend them to anyone. I hope this helps. You can contact me through the forum and I can give you his number. Take care.

97CSI
11-06-2010, 10:53 AM
Thanks. Did speak with a couple of doc's with good reps locally and am going with Dr. Hozack at Jefferson in Phila. Have spoken to a couple of folks who have used him and are pleased. Guess I'm stuck now. My new bike is supposed to be finished by 1Feb11, so need to have the hip to go with it (maybe I should change the build to Ti to match my new hip?). Not looking forward to rehab, but do I ever need it. Am in sorriest shape of my life after being off the bike since Jun09. Hopefully, I'll be smart enough never let that happen again.

bikewriter67
11-06-2010, 06:18 PM
I had a total hip replacement eight years ago. The surgeon who operated on me told me I could go back to bike riding about three months after the operation. I asked him how much I could ride and he said as much as I wanted but that I should stay away from high-impact exercise. At the time he had no idea what that meant, but when I saw him a year after the hip replacement for an evaluation in which my artificial hip joint showed no sign of wear, and I told him I was riding more than 200 miles a week, he was astounded. In 2008 I rode more than 10,000 miles. Last year my total was a bit lower at 9600 miles but that's because I spent six weeks hiking in Colorado and the Canadian Rockies. Now, after eight years, my artificial hip joint still is showing no wear, I have absolutely no pain in my hip, and the surgeon who operated on me is recommending bike riding to his patients. I should also say that I'm 68 years old. The only other thing I'd recommend is that anyone with a hip replacement (actually everyone, in fact) maintain a very lean physique since the more weight you're carrying, the more pressure you exert on your hip joint. Bottom line: bike all you want, swim all you want, walk all you want, but stay away from high-impact activities like running, tennis or basketball.

97CSI
11-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Congrats. That's good to read. Thanks for the info. I turn 63 next month and retired this past Wed. Life is good. My doctor and his associates (met with three of them) told me that over the past 3-4 years they've changed their attitude about recovery. They said to do anything I was comfortable doing. That I would likely find it uncomfortable to start out running immediately, but if I want to, the cement/bond they use today is as strong as the bone it is replacing in 24 hours and go for it. The do recommend that one not actually ride a bike for a few weeks, until the incision is fully healed. But has nothing to do with the strength of the new joint. Only the actual incision. Looking forward to getting back on the bike. My body and my psyche need it.

charlie68
11-07-2010, 06:18 AM
In April 2008, I had a total hip replacement as the result of a cycling accident. I was able to ride after about 8 or 10 weeks of recovery. Once I was back on my bike, it was like nothing had happened. I could ride just like before the accident and without any pain. My doctor did advise me to avoid any high impact activities so I don't run anymore. Enjoy your bike.

97CSI
11-17-2010, 11:19 AM
Just got a call from the doctor's office. They are attempting to get me included in a study being done by Zimmer/FDA on a new, larger diameter ceramic-on-ceramic hip joint. The apparent improvements are longer life, greater range of motion and less chance of a dislocation. Keeping my fingers crossed. Zimmer has been approved in the EU for a number of years, so feel that the risk is minimal.

Well...... just spoke with I opt'd out of the Zimmer study. The way it is set up is one has a 50/50 chance of receiving their c-on-c joint. If you don't, you must take their plastic hip, which I do not want. So will go with the tried-and-true Depuy c-on-c joint.

97CSI
11-23-2010, 06:08 PM
Went in at 5:30 a.m. Monday, was in the sedation room & hospital gown by 7 and back in recovery by 10:00. Thus far has been surprisingly painless, with the exception of PT. Strongest painkiller thus far has been full-strength Tylenol (some stronger stuff for back-up, if needed). Home this afternoon. PT starts for real tomorrow. Along with the real pain.

Louis
11-23-2010, 06:12 PM
Best of luck with the recovery. You have all winter to look forward to riding this spring.

Seott-e
11-23-2010, 09:03 PM
Isn't Flyod Landis riding with one too ?

flickwet
11-24-2010, 08:53 AM
Saw my surgeon last week, on some simple PT for right now, says I can ride and swim, even though it hurts I'm not hurting anything anyway. Next appt is in January to finalize things. Godspeed and please keep us posted

harlond
11-24-2010, 09:54 AM
Isn't Flyod Landis riding with one too ?Believe Landis rides with a hip resurfacing. Sounds like the OP got hip replacement.

97CSI
11-24-2010, 10:52 AM
THR... total hip replacement. Ceramic-on-ceramic. Only restrictions are don't fall down and do all PT. And, don't hold your breath during the pain of PT. If it gets no worse, it will be OK.

tlarwa
11-24-2010, 11:01 AM
THR... total hip replacement. Ceramic-on-ceramic. Only restrictions are don't fall down and do all PT. And, don't hold your breath during the pain of PT. If it gets no worse, it will be OK.

You'll be fine ... trust in your cycling fitness to get you through with flying colors. I had my THR 2 years ago, at 47 years old. I was told that I by far had the fastest recovery of anyone they had ever seen,and they attributed it to my fitness level. PT was a little painful, but nowhere near as bad as hill repeats :)

I did a 60-mile charity ride 6 weeks after my surgery, and felt better than I had the prior 2 years. I've never looked back, and am no doubt a stronger cyclist now than I've been for a number of (painful) years. The best thing I ever did ... no regrets whatsoever.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions/concerns ...

Tom

Ozz
11-24-2010, 02:10 PM
I rode Tour de Blast with a friend of my riding buddy. He had a hip replacement a couple years prior....he kicked both our butts up and down the mountains....he was riding a borrowed steel Merckx Corsa Extra that was at least two sizes too big. He had the saddle resting on the top tube.

I would say he had a "full recovery" and rides just fine. ;)

quattro
11-24-2010, 07:54 PM
Well,not really. I've been told by my Dr. that i might be able to last another year before a THR, I've also met with a Dr. that does hip resurfacing. Initially I thought this was the way to go, but my last appointment with the Dr. that does THP leads me to believe that this is the way to go for me. I'm thinking either next Spring or Fall, if I can last that long. Right now I do have daily discomfort in my right groin and my range of motion on that side is limited. I can ride but my right leg pulls way to the right as I approach 12 o'clock. How did those who have had THR's decide when it was time to jump in? I'm at the stage of indecision. I'm 52 years old and I know I have to have it done, but when, how long do I put it off. Any feedback on making the decision would be appreciated.

Thanks,
quattro

tlarwa
11-24-2010, 09:45 PM
Well,not really. I've been told by my Dr. that i might be able to last another year before a THR, I've also met with a Dr. that does hip resurfacing. Initially I thought this was the way to go, but my last appointment with the Dr. that does THP leads me to believe that this is the way to go for me. I'm thinking either next Spring or Fall, if I can last that long. Right now I do have daily discomfort in my right groin and my range of motion on that side is limited. I can ride but my right leg pulls way to the right as I approach 12 o'clock. How did those who have had THR's decide when it was time to jump in? I'm at the stage of indecision. I'm 52 years old and I know I have to have it done, but when, how long do I put it off. Any feedback on making the decision would be appreciated.

Thanks,
quattro

I'll never forget my surgeon's answer when I asked when I'll know it's time. It was "believe me, you'll know" ... and I did. It got to the point that I couldn't swing my leg over the top tube, and getting out of a chair to walk across the room brought tears to my eyes. This was at 47. It turned out there was ZERO cartilage left in my hip joint, so it was bone on bone. I tried an intermediate surgery (a "clean-up") before the THR, and it was a complete waste of a couple years. The recovery was longer than the THR, and I ended up getting the THR anyway. I regret not doing it sooner. It was a 100% improvement in my quality of life. I wouldn't wait any longer than necessary. Life is too short..

Tom

97CSI
11-25-2010, 07:38 AM
My decision to go with a THR was based on the information that most resurfacings require a THR in a few years in any event. That, and the fact that I was not a good candidate. Why go through such a painful procedure twice?

Was surprising how young so many folks were when I was in PT at the hospital. At 63 (next month) I was the oldest. There were two @49, one @ 55 and two @ 60. Things have definitely changed in the world of joint replacement.

Kingfisher
11-25-2010, 07:56 AM

Thanks,
quattro

My Doc said the same thing...you will know when it's time.....had mine done 4 years ago when I was 51. It sounds like it's time for you to make the decision to go ahead and do it. I'm riding strongly now and the old pain is a distant memory. Since i was a cyclist....Dr advised putting in the largest ball and socket that would fit, because i was going to be cycling again after surgery and the larger ball would be best. Had minimally invasive surgery to do the THR...Dr said that he had to go through alot of muscle to get to this done, which slowed my recovery a bit...but all in all, best decision of my life.

Feel free to contact me with any questions. Good luck

97CSI
12-06-2010, 10:43 AM
2-weeks post-op today, so thought I would give an update.
Into the hospital at 5:30 a.m. and being cut and sawn by 7:30 a.m.
Back into the room from post-op recovery by 2:00 p.m. and on walker with the PTs by 3:00 p.m. Walked ~100 ft down the hall and back. I said I could go further, but they said that was enough. They pleased with my performance. Especially the part where I did not throw-up until we got back to my room. :)
As I opted for the largest ceramic-on-ceramis (42mm?) from DuPuy, I have an 11.5" incision and 40 staples. Seems to be healing well with zero drainage from day one.
Discharged and sent home the following afternoon. Freaked my wife out that I wasn't staying at the hospital for another day or two and then not going into in-patient rehab. If I had whined, there would have been no problem doing either, but I did not want to. Please don't tell...........
Also, other than support (walker or crutches), I have no restrictions on hip movement. Can do anything I want/can tolerate the pain of doing. Only precaution is that I don't fall.
Visiting nurse twice a week and in-home PT 3-times per week.
Pain has been considerably less than I had expected. A real plus. Took a couple of Tramadol each day for the first 3-4 days and only aspirin and Tylenol since. The last few days have been pretty much pain-free. Until about 90 minutes ago when the PT kicked my butt and started working me with some weights. My glut is 'feeling the pain' at the moment (good workout). However, it is minimal and certainly no worse than the pain pre-op. The last 2-3 days have essentially been pain-free between workouts.
Am hoping all this portends a positive long-term result. Probably on the stationary bike after Xmas.

flickwet
12-06-2010, 12:29 PM
So glad your coming along well, keep these posts coming

97CSI
12-20-2010, 11:04 AM
OK......... 4 weeks post-op today. Essentially pain-free and more flexible than before the surgery. Whole thing has been more pain-free than I had expected and strength and flexibility improve daily. Graduated to a cane about a week ago and makes life much easier. The raised toilet-seat is gone, which got old real fast. My surgeon stated from day-1 that my only restrictions were 'don't fall down' and don't do anything that is seriously painful and I've followed that. PT three days a week and exercises the other days. Walked outside for just over an hour yesterday with the cane and feel fine. Most surprising was the fact that I was not cold. Optimistic that I'll be spinning on the trainer in January. While it is not completely recovered yet, seems they have this down to a science. Will give an update when reach another month or milestone of some sort.

Louis
12-20-2010, 12:07 PM
Optimistic that I'll be spinning on the trainer in January.

And ready for spring rides by April. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Congratulations for the ongoing recovery.

johnnymossville
12-20-2010, 12:09 PM
My Dad has a hip replacement. Hasn't slowed down his riding at all. He did quit running though.

97CSI
12-20-2010, 12:14 PM
He did quit running though.Indeed................... is considered 'high impact', even with the best running shoes. Running is for emergencies, only, after a hip replacement. Especially if you have either a ceramic-on-ceramic (like mine) or a metal-on-metal, which have essentially no give and can possibly split out the bone. If have a prostheis with the plastic insert, then there is the risk of breaking the plastic. All are bad things. :rolleyes:

jimhigh
12-20-2010, 12:25 PM
I had total hip replacement with Stryker ceramic on ceramic in May of 2008.
In 6 days I was driving car...back on my bike in 10 days and have never looked back. I have been pain free totally since the surgery...truly a life changing surgery. I rode the MS 150 (Houston to Austin) 11 months after surgery and have completed more than 20 century rides in the last two years. Turn 62 next week and love riding more than ever. Own four Serotta's which are a pleasure to be on any time.

Jim

johnnymossville
12-20-2010, 12:28 PM
Reading all these success stories warms my heart. Seriously. It's great we have such capabilities to keep people going strong.

97CSI
12-20-2010, 12:42 PM
jimhigh - Good for you and great to read (I have the 42mm Stryker c-on-c). But, you make me feel slow :) (and my PT tells me I'm moving faster than anyone she has worked with to-date). I better get busy. See the doc for the first time post-op on Thursday, so thought I would wait for that before climbing onto the trainer. Looking to doing a century in September.

flickwet
12-20-2010, 02:29 PM
Still trying everything I can to somehow miraculously repair this troubled joint. Can't ride without real pain that gets worse so I took up swimming hoping that things will just get better, along with chondroitan, msm and all that...well it gets better for a couple of hours but then BAM! it gets excruciating. So setting up an expedited second visit with the surgeon just not looking forward to it. According to my MRI the joint space is "obliterated" hint, hint, nudge, nudge, say no more I guess.

97CSI
12-20-2010, 02:43 PM
I wasted an entire year with that BS. A year I'll never get back. To say that I'm pissed at myself is to put it mildly.

deanster
12-21-2010, 12:22 AM
I wasted an entire year with that BS. A year I'll never get back. To say that I'm pissed at myself is to put it mildly.

Glad you are doing so well. Colorado in the Fall...eh?

97CSI
12-21-2010, 06:42 AM
That's the plan........ :banana:

97CSI
01-19-2011, 11:47 AM
Been 8 weeks and two days and I could not be more pleased with my pain-free existence. Even if I couldn't ride again, being pain-free has made it worth having the hip replaced. Did my 7th full PT session today. Am approved for 9 sessions and am asking for 12. While they said I was good to go on my own if I wanted to, I never turn down a leg stretch/massage by a pretty girl. ;)
As part of PT, have been doing 15 minutes of work on their SciFit exercycles. They can be programmed to simulate going up and down hills, sprints, etc. I simply set the effort level at 7.5 and spin at 80rpm and a METS level of 14 (now - started at 8-9). A METS level of one is pretty much where you are when you are awake but lying flat with no movement. As a marker, am burning ~225-235 calories in 15 mintues of riding. They did tell me that the record for METS is 55, set by some sort of NJ state champion (didn't know there was one) about 7-8 years ago during a sprint. Anyone familiar with Richard or Rick Owens as a bicycle racer?
Exercycle has a heart monitor and am up to 170bpm for the last few mintues. Which is about normal for me. My resting heart-rate before surgery was 62 and will likely be back below 50 by the end of a summer of riding (hopefully, that means it won't croak on me before I wear out my new hip :)). To say I am pleased with my new hip, to-date, would be a strong understatement. The wonders of modern medicine are many-fold. Starting the spin-class on the 30th. All is good.

AngryScientist
01-19-2011, 02:21 PM
great going buddy. my FIL who had total hip replacement surgery on both hips told me that the worst part was the fear of the surgery. keep up the good work! :beer:

Ralph
01-19-2011, 02:30 PM
Earlier in this thread, a friend of mine, Bikewriter67, responded with some comments. Worth rereading.

He's 68 now, and rides about 10,000 miles per year. Not sure how much hiking he is still doing, but his new hip is not slowing him down. And he's doing all this with his Doc's blessing.

Keep it up!!

shorelocal
01-19-2011, 02:37 PM

Just found this thread. I am in the same boat ... I have AVN as a result of a femoral neck fracture and have been dealing with the pain for 12+ mos. I was hoping to get hip-resurfacing, but the AVN has left the femoral head with weak bone stock, so that's no longer an option. Met with two surgeons this month (after a 3 mos waiting period to get an appointment) and they are both suggesting a THR, which was not good news at first. Wait time for either surgeon is between 3 and 5 mos, which puts me smack dab in the middle of the summer, worst case.

Missing out on 'cross this past season really sucked and I was hoping to be ready for 'cross 2011, but that now seems unrealistic. Question for you guys who have THRs ... is the running in a 'cross race out of the question or is it more marathon-level running that your surgeons recommend against? BTW ... I'm leaning towards a ceramic-on-ceramic prosthesis and I'm 37 y.o.

flickwet
01-20-2011, 08:21 AM
Still trying everything I can to somehow miraculously repair this troubled joint. Can't ride without real pain that gets worse so I took up swimming hoping that things will just get better, along with chondroitan, msm and all that...well it gets better for a couple of hours but then BAM! it gets excruciating. So setting up an expedited second visit with the surgeon just not looking forward to it. According to my MRI the joint space is "obliterated" hint, hint, nudge, nudge, say no more I guess.
Can't get it done till fdall of 2011, Weston's on a top team now (Turner/Prochain) and I have to be able to drive him to races, Battenkill etc., after the season I'll get it done, I am swimming sub hour miles now and did ride OK on New Years, 2 days out of 5 will have serious pain but it comes and goes somewhat randomly

97CSI
01-20-2011, 08:39 AM
Can't get it done till fdall of 2011, Weston's on a top team now (Turner/Prochain) and I have to be able to drive him to races, Battenkill etc., after the season I'll get it done, I am swimming sub hour miles now and did ride OK on New Years, 2 days out of 5 will have serious pain but it comes and goes somewhat randomlyThat's too bad. If anything like mine, you'll be driving him to races 2-3 weeks after surgery. As posted earlier, wish I had done it a year ago and not wasted this past season. Am sure your son would understand and support your wish to be pain-free and back on the bike. Must be others on the team than can help out for that short period of time.

97CSI
01-20-2011, 09:00 AM
Just found this thread. I am in the same boat ... I have AVN as a result of a femoral neck fracture and have been dealing with the pain for 12+ mos. I was hoping to get hip-resurfacing, but the AVN has left the femoral head with weak bone stock, so that's no longer an option. Met with two surgeons this month (after a 3 mos waiting period to get an appointment) and they are both suggesting a THR, which was not good news at first. Wait time for either surgeon is between 3 and 5 mos, which puts me smack dab in the middle of the summer, worst case.

Missing out on 'cross this past season really sucked and I was hoping to be ready for 'cross 2011, but that now seems unrealistic. Question for you guys who have THRs ... is the running in a 'cross race out of the question or is it more marathon-level running that your surgeons recommend against? BTW ... I'm leaning towards a ceramic-on-ceramic prosthesis and I'm 37 y.o.Yes, I was surprised at the time it took to schedule my surgery. From initial contact the first week of Aug untill last week of Nov. And, I was one of 6 or 7 hips my surgeon did that day.

My surgeon stated no 'hip-precautions' other than falling and running of any sort for 6 weeks. Only 'emergency' running of very short distances until 12-weeks, when the bone is fully knit into the new hip parts. No long-distance running after that is suggested. Possibility of spliting out the femur where the prosthesis is inserted. No restrictions on bicycle riding after 12 weeks. Obviously, these precautions are from my surgeon for me and you will want to check with your surgeon for your particular case. Especially as you are 26 years younger than me. I was once a runner and am wondering if the long-term hammering of my hip joint during running wasn't the reason that my hip wore out. Only person who has ever run in my family and only hip replacement.

Also got the large-ball ceramic-on-ceramic. So far, so good.

quattro
07-11-2011, 03:49 PM
Wondering how those with recent hip replacements are doing this summer. My hip problem has progressed to the point where I'm thinking it will be time to have a THR early next year. Cycling regularly but with lower back pain and my average MPH has decreased by almost 2 MPH on a 25+ mile ride. When walking as little as 1/4 mile I can have severe groin and knee pain, slows me down to limp on my way home. Turning side to side in bed at night wakes me up with discomfort as well. Can't decide if the discomfort and lack of mobility is worse than what lies on the other side of total hip replacement. Appreciate hearing from those that have gone through the ordeal.
Anyone in Massachusetts? What Drs. have performed your THR?

Thanks,

quattro

97CSI
07-11-2011, 03:59 PM
I'm only getting back on the bike this week. That is not because of the THR, but because I've gotten into a 'gym routine' that I've been really enjoying. Mostly because I've been able to convince my somewhat sedentary wife to go to the gym with me and has done her (and me) a world of good. My new hip has zero problems. Am doing an hour of cardio on a stationary bike (~550 calories) on one day and an hour of cardio on the elliptical/arm machine (~500 calories) the other day with about 45 minutes of strength training each day, in addition to the cardio workout. I'll say it again...................... I wasted six months futzing around making a decision to have the THR. Six months of unnecessary pain and limited mobility. Do some research. If you plan to remain active you may want either a metal-on-metal or ceramic (what I got) joint. They have a projected life of 30+ years compared to the 15+ for standard plastic and 20+ for newer plastic.

97CSI
07-14-2011, 02:22 PM
Just did my first ride on the bike this morning. Was very pleased with my 45 minutes on the bike. Was mostly just a 'spin' around the neighborhood to get the bike adjusted and see what did and did not work with my. Was great. No pain or anything untoward. Had to bring the seat up about 6-7mm, which was a surprise, and the bike seems smaller than I recall. My work in the gym has been highly beneficial in that I am far more limber (I've been stretching). Also have to adjust the angle of the cleats a bit, which isn't really a big surprise. So all is good and I'll start working my way back to some real riding. Am sure that I won't be doing any century rides this year, but the future looks good.

shorelocal
07-14-2011, 04:28 PM
My update ...

I finally have a scheduled date for my THR operation ... going with Ceramic on Ceramic as I couldn't find any local surgeons who would do the metal on metal THR (one guy locally but his wait list for just a consultation was 9 mos). I've been dealing with a deteriorating femoral head/neck for almost 2 yrs now and it's gotta noticeably worse over that timespan. One leg is noticeably shorter, I limp always, and my range of motion has gone to the dumps. Really looking forward to having this behind me and being able to move freely again. My goal is 'cross 2012.

97CSI
07-14-2011, 09:34 PM
Good for you. Hip & knee doc's are in great demand. Took 14 weeks to go from decision to the operating room. Work hard on your PT and in the gym and you'll be fine for cross the fall of '12.

mnoble485
07-15-2011, 06:48 AM
I had Total Knee Replacement on both knees 10 months ago. I got so tired of the constant ache that I decided to bite the bullet and have them bothe done at the same time. Hurt like H@ll but it is now well worth it.

I am back riding pretty much like I was (two speeds..,slow and slower) and feel good.

Mike

ohuirthile
07-15-2011, 07:20 PM
When did you break your hip? What happened?

I had a femoral neck fracture about 3 years ago and ride with 3 large "screws". Freak low speed bike wreck. I just started experiencing some consistent pain again and I am worried about AVN.

Missing out on 'cross this past season really sucked and I was hoping to be ready for 'cross 2011, but that now seems unrealistic. Question for you guys who have THRs ... is the running in a 'cross race out of the question or is it more marathon-level running that your surgeons recommend against? BTW ... I'm leaning towards a ceramic-on-ceramic prosthesis and I'm 37 y.o.

shorelocal
07-16-2011, 11:23 PM
When did you break your hip? What happened?

I had a femoral neck fracture about 3 years ago and ride with 3 large "screws". Freak low speed bike wreck. I just started experiencing some consistent pain again and I am worried about AVN.

Fractured my femoral neck in half in the Fall of '08 as a result of a mtn bike crash. Basically slid out going down a granite rock face and landed smack dab on my hip. Instant snappage ensued. The surgeon screwed it back together with 3 long screws, but the blood supply was already compromised, so AVN was inevitable. It took 12 mos for the AVN to surface in the form of pain and decreased mobility/flexibility.

97CSI
07-17-2011, 05:04 AM
Why did you choose the 'temporary' repair rather than a THR and avoid a second operation?

Edit: Rode 25 this a.m. Pleasant surprise how well it went. Zero issues with the hip. Saddle is up one full inch, which was certainly unexpected. Would have gone another 15 miles, but my butt had had enough and did not want to make it too uncomfortable. Just need some additional saddle-time to get my butt 'broken-in'.

shorelocal
07-17-2011, 09:28 PM
Why did you choose the 'temporary' repair rather than a THR and avoid a second operation?

The surgeon in emergency hoped we had put the bones back together in time to save the head, but it wasn't to be.

ohuirthile
07-17-2011, 09:40 PM
i presented to the ER and the doc did a manipulation and told me it was just a bruise, that i needed to walk it out. i went for about a week before it completely broke in two.

on my return trip to the ER the surgeon said that at 35 a THR was a bad idea, especially if I was active. In fact he said I would probably need more than 1 THR due to wear over the years. he said it is always best to keep the bone if possible.

I have 3 screws and have been experiencing pain over the last few weeks, i'm worried it may be AVN...

firerescuefin
07-17-2011, 09:50 PM
i presented to the ER and the doc did a manipulation and told me it was just a bruise, that i needed to walk it out. i went for about a week before it completely broke in two.

on my return trip to the ER the surgeon said that at 35 a THR was a bad idea, especially if I was active. In fact he said I would probably need more than 1 THR due to wear over the years. he said it is always best to keep the bone if possible.

I have 3 screws and have been experiencing pain over the last few weeks, i'm worried it may be AVN...

MANY Orthos would disagree and multiple THRs over a lifetime is certainly better than living in pain and dysfunction (and layered dysfuction because of the problems your hip causes). Get a second opinion from a sports based ortho that understands the level of activity you expect to maintain.

97CSI
07-18-2011, 06:27 AM
Yes....... am actually surprised that an emergency room doc would come up with that without getting a good x-ray and consulting a qualified orthopedist. Was this in TX?

shorelocal
07-18-2011, 11:48 AM
Yes....... am actually surprised that an emergency room doc would come up with that without getting a good x-ray and consulting a qualified orthopedist. Was this in TX?

Agreed. I would be super pi**ed if my femoral neck was still intact when first visiting the ER only to be told to go home and have it eventually snap. Even if they had put you on crutches at least with no weight bearing, it could have healed itself. Good luck with your hip ohuirthile, hope it works out for you.

ohuirthile
07-20-2011, 09:52 PM
Tulsa OK

In hindsight I found out that the person who saw me was a PA not a dr. Her response is that if it was broken I would have screamed when she moved it and I wouldn't have walked in on my own power.

I was than and still am pissed. I tried to file a suit only to be told it was a no go when my surgeon wouldn't say that I am at increased risk for AVN - he has to keep privileges at the hospital you know!!

97CSI
07-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Second 25+ mile ride today. Zero issues with hip. Little bit of the 'sore butt' that only time on the saddle will fix. Spinning at ~90rpm just as before the THR. Continue to be amazed that my saddle is now 28mm higher than prior to surgery in order to make the bike fit. The biggest bonus, other than zero pain, is that my riding position is no longer so up-right. Did not realize how decrepit I had become with the bad hip. The stretching exercises I was given during PT and that I've kept up with in the gym make riding on the hoods and drops soooooo much easier. Wonderful. Now to remove another 20-25 pounds from my body and I'm good.

1happygirl
11-05-2011, 01:02 AM
Reading all these success stories warms my heart. Seriously. It's great we have such capabilities to keep people going strong.

Awesome. I was hoping you guys could fill me in..

Did most of you guys have posterior or anterior approach? Have a buddy who is needing one and the peep is young so trying to read the studies and help them make the best decision. Still debating metal vs ceramic

THANKS GUYS!!!

97CSI
11-05-2011, 01:31 AM
Mine was anterior (side). Posterior was not discussed as an option. Still going fine.

SPOKE
11-05-2011, 08:39 AM
In December 09' I had a THR. In the process I got back nearly an inch of legh length back (1.5" total difference). Mostly all good except with the big end of the femur deeper into the thigh area I still have some "rubbing" discomfort but way better than before surgery!
I chose a metal hip since it can handle an impact better than the ceramic. As you know ceramic has a longer use life but if it fractures due to impact it is nearly impossible to remove the tiny fragments during a revision.
Most likely either product will need to be replaced sometime during my remaining years so I felt I'd go with the metal since I'm still very active and most likely will crash either on the bike or some other activity that could cause ceramic to fracture.

97CSI
11-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Here is reasonable description of the various hips available.
http://bonesmart.org/hip/hip-replacement-implant-materials/?gclid=CJrokuPin6wCFUGo4AodiTBy2A

1happygirl
11-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Thank you guys so much. The link is especially helpful.
The pain is so bad my peeps can barely walk, so they have FINALLY agreed.

keeping my fingers crossed.

kohagen
11-05-2011, 01:51 PM
I had both hips replaced, one about 12 years ago, the other about 10. Anterior approach. I was walking outside in four days, up to about 10 miles a day within a month. No other PT. No running or skiing big moguls, or anything else that would be high impact. Biking, skiing, golf while carrying the bag, all good. No issues with the replacements. Went back to the surgeon a couple of years ago for an inspection, and he said that everything looked good, and he'd see me again in five years.

1happygirl
11-05-2011, 11:37 PM
I'll tell my friend everyone here doing well, although they're nt in as good shape pre-surgery as you guys. The severe pain in hip (joint totally autoimmune eaten away) has severely curtailed exercising.

LOOKS LIKE ANTERIOR APPROACH IS WINNING. thx

quattro
11-27-2011, 11:12 AM
I'm still doing research on different types of THR surgery and recently came across what is referred to as SuperPath Minimally Invasive Hip Surgery her is a link, http://www.replacemyhip.com/
I'm still hoping to put off surgery for one more year if possible, time will tell if my discomfort walking and sleeping allow me to wait this long.

Has anyone had Minimally Invasive THR surgery? Interested in hearing about your experiences.
Thanks,
quattro

Sheldon4209
11-27-2011, 11:33 AM
My wife who rides with me on a tandem (5000 mi./yr.) had a hip replaced May 31 of this year. She is much more comfortable riding on the tandem and does not move around as much. She started riding a spin bike after 2 weeks for 5 min. and increased a min. each day for 20 days. She then increased 2 minutes a day plus pressure.

At 8 weeks she started riding the tandem with 3 miles. She slowly increased until she rode 50 miles last week and 1150 miles since surgery. Both of us are looking forward to next year as she will be more comfortable on the biek. Her surgeon says bicycling is the preferred form of exercise (he also rides a bike.)

SPOKE
11-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Has anyone had Minimally Invasive THR surgery? Interested in hearing about your experiences.
Thanks,
quattro

I asked my surgeon about this an his response was very simple. "I'll make the incision only as big as it needs to be to do the work and clean up the mess we create in the process"

My incision is about 6" shorter than my brothers that was done in 2004.

97CSI
11-27-2011, 03:44 PM
As I've stated earlier, the worst mistake I made in my THR was the wasted 12-18 months of non-decision on my part.

Sheldon4209
11-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Before my wife's hip replacement surgery she read that the two factors that improve the success of hip surgery are a doctor that does a lot of hip replacement surgery and a hospital that does a lot of hip surgery. She went to an orthopedic hospital and her doctor only does hip and knee replacement surgery.

quattro
11-27-2011, 04:25 PM
Before my wife's hip replacement surgery she read that the two factors that improve the success of hip surgery are a doctor that does a lot of hip replacement surgery and a hospital that does a lot of hip surgery. She went to an orthopedic hospital and her doctor only does hip and knee replacement surgery.

Sheldon, I couldn't agree more. I have now seen three Drs., they all specialize in hip and knee surgery and have performed hundreds of THR operations. I'm now scheduled to see a 4th Dr. at the New England Baptist Hospital in Boston. This hospital has a very respected othopedic practice and performs hundreds of knee and THR operations. Dr. Stephen Murphy is one of the pioneers of the minimally invasive approach. My appointment is not until March 2012, guess he is pretty busy!