PDA

View Full Version : Brake Nut for Serotta F3 Fork...

spamjoshua
07-13-2010, 12:51 PM
Hello folks.

I have an F3 equipped Serotta that I will be building shortly, and it seems (maybe I assume) I need a brake nut made for the fork.

The nuts that came with my brakes (three sizes, all standard) do not seem to fit my fork.

Clues please.

:)

Thank you,
Joshua

Pete Serotta
07-13-2010, 02:27 PM
contact Serotta for proper nuts WHere did you get the fork.

PETE

spamjoshua
07-13-2010, 03:08 PM
I will go to Serotta.

The frameset was purchased from a forum member.

Joshua

PaulE
07-13-2010, 03:37 PM
Fyi, if the frame is a Meivici, HSG or has a Serotta carbon seat stay, you're going to need a second one, as long as the front one, for the rear brake too!

07-13-2010, 04:38 PM
Those forks are dipped in a rather thick layer of clearcoat. What you may be encountering is just clearcoat filling much of the brake bolt hole. I always have to use a rattail file to open up the hole gently so it fits the brake bolt. It seems to be a bit more of a problem on F3's than on some other forks, but it isn't a sign of any problem -- just thick clearcoat.

There are a few different styles of recessed allen brake bolt, and each usually comes in two or three lengths. The styles are just that -- styles -- and any will work on your fork; it's just a question of which look you prefer.

spamjoshua
07-13-2010, 05:13 PM
It felt like a diameter issue, but if it is simply clear coat, I can attack it.

The frameset I purchased was used, and thus my thinking this was a proprietary bold diameter. Certainly it appears to be a wider head.

Cheers,
Joshua

sokyroadie
07-13-2010, 05:16 PM
It felt like a diameter issue, but if it is simply clear coat, I can attack it.

The frameset I purchased was used, and thus my thinking this was a proprietary bold diameter. Certainly it appears to be a wider head.

Cheers,
Joshua

It definitely has a wider head and will usually fit without having to "clean" out the hole - I use a drill bit by hand to "ream" the hole if required.

Jeff

SoCalSteve
07-13-2010, 05:46 PM
Just like the Ouzo Pro, it is a proprietary sized bolt.

If it were me, I wouldn't take a file to the fork. Id just call Serotta and get the right sized brake bolt...

But, that's just me. Your results may vary.

Good luck!

spamjoshua
07-13-2010, 05:55 PM
I have a few small parts I am waiting on, and in the meantime have sent mail to info@serotta.com with the hope of purchasing a bolt.

It sure would be nice to have them on the web site in a store page. :)

Joshua

jlwdm
07-13-2010, 06:06 PM
Here is last month's thread on this issue.

Brake Bolt or Nut (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=74820&highlight=brake+nut)

Easy to get locally.

Jeff

djg21
07-13-2010, 06:12 PM
You can buy one from http://www.loosescrews.com.

Hello folks.

I have an F3 equipped Serotta that I will be building shortly, and it seems (maybe I assume) I need a brake nut made for the fork.

The nuts that came with my brakes (three sizes, all standard) do not seem to fit my fork.

Clues please.

Thank you,
Joshua

oldpotatoe
07-14-2010, 07:55 AM
Hello folks.

Clues please.

Thank you,
Joshua

Go to a decent bike shop, it's what they do. I have a drawer full on various length brake nuts and if it's a diameter issue, most probably clear coat.

No reason to call Serotta.

07-14-2010, 10:18 AM
Ummm, can you just look in the hole? If you see drips of clearcoat, and you understand that clearcoat isn't structural (it isn't, if anyone had to ask), then using a small file to clean out the drips does not entail returning the fork to Serotta. And all brake anchor bolts I've ever seen are pretty much the same outside diameter, so you won't solve the problem by trying to find another bolt.

spamjoshua
07-14-2010, 03:36 PM
This is a used frameset/fork, and was definitely ridden prior to coming my way.

It has had a brake mounted. That, and the fact that there is no sign of imperfections or topological inconsistencies within the brake hole, lead me to believe there was something proprietary about the bolt. The diameter of the brake bolt head on my other F3, also from a used frameset, seconded that notion.

The brakes I have, SRAM Red, came with many bolt variations, but all are significantly off in their diameter as compared to that which the fork will allow.

At least one member in this thread has voiced the fact that they believe the bolt proprietary.

I am infamous for brute force approaches in wholly errant situations, and thus was opting to avoid another such incident at all costs.

Cheers,
Joshua

SoCalSteve
07-14-2010, 03:39 PM
This is a used frameset/fork, and was definitely ridden prior to coming my way.

It has had a brake mounted. That, and the fact that there is no sign of imperfections or topological inconsistencies within the brake hole, lead me to believe there was something proprietary about the bolt. The diameter of the brake bolt head on my other F3, also from a used frameset, seconded that notion.

The brakes I have, SRAM Red, came with many bolt variations, but all are significantly off in their diameter as compared to that which the fork will allow.

At least one member in this thread has voiced the fact that they believe the bolt proprietary.

I am infamous for brute force approaches in wholly errant situations, and thus was opting to avoid another such incident at all costs.

Cheers,
Joshua

Dont care what anyone says, the bolt is proprietary to the fork, same as the Ouzo Pro...

BTW, I own 2 x F3 forks and one Ouzo Pro fork, FWIW.

SHOCK
07-14-2010, 04:14 PM
Serotta Scott here...it is a proprietary bolt. It is stainless and manufactured for our forks and yes it is the same size as a Reynolds. Lindsey should be able to set you up perfectly...or any local Serotta retailer. concierge@serotta.com

Pete Serotta
07-14-2010, 04:16 PM
AND HE IS ALL KNOWING....... Yes I like him and am biased. PETE

Serotta Scott here...it is a proprietary bolt. It is stainless and manufactured for our forks and yes it is the same size as a Reynolds. Lindsey should be able to set you up perfectly...or any local Serotta retailer. concierge@serotta.com

jlwdm
07-14-2010, 04:32 PM

Scott:

Thanks for the information. Maybe you could answer a few of the other issues brought up in this thread, last month's thread and last years thread. There has been inconsistent information posted about the bolt.

Bolt:

How is it proprietary?
Is it smaller in diameter?
Are the threads different?
Is the length different?
Is the nut head a different size.
Are the proprietary bolts different for the F1, F2, F3, F4 and S3?

Rear Brake
Do you need this bolt to attach a brake on rear carbon stays?

Thank you.

Jeff

spamjoshua
07-14-2010, 05:06 PM
Reynolds is reporting the nut out of stock... (http://www.reynoldscycling.com/index.php?p_resource=items_accessories_item&p_itm_pk=45)

Silliness.

Yesterday I emailed info@serotta.com, today concierge@serotta.com :)

Joshua

SoCalSteve
07-14-2010, 05:17 PM
Scott:

Thanks for the information. Maybe you could answer a few of the other issues brought up in this thread, last month's thread and last years thread. There has been inconsistent information posted about the bolt.

Bolt:

How is it proprietary?
Is it smaller in diameter?
Are the threads different?
Is the length different?
Is the nut head a different size.
Are the proprietary bolts different for the F1, F2, F3, F4 and S3?

Rear Brake
Do you need this bolt to attach a brake on rear carbon stays?

Thank you.

Jeff

Smaller
Threads are the same
Length is the same
Nut head is smaller/different shaped
Not sure about the different forks, but I imagine that they are all the same (and the Ouzo Pro)

And yes, you need a proprietary bolt for the frames with Serotta carbon seat stays (but its a different length than the fork bolt).

Brian Smith
07-14-2010, 05:24 PM
Wow, lots of questions about this item.
Here's what I've got:

It's titanium.
It's made with a smaller O.D. than typical brake nuts.
It's longer than many, in order to grab enough threads of the brake mounting bolt through the deep carbon parts. You don't want to run a nut that is too short to grab more than 4 full threads if you do want to count on using your brakes.
The thread pitch and size are the same as any nut that works for the popular (and most unpopular) brakes - it has to be!
The nut pictured on the Reynolds site linked by spamjoshua looks super similar.
Yes, you use the same nut on the carbon rear stay as well.
It's in stock at Serotta, and should be a presently purchasable item.

I hope something therein helps someone.

jlwdm
07-14-2010, 06:27 PM
Smaller
Threads are the same
Length is the same
Nut head is smaller/different shaped
Not sure about the different forks, but I imagine that they are all the same (and the Ouzo Pro)

And yes, you need a proprietary bolt for the frames with Serotta carbon seat stays (but its a different length than the fork bolt).

I think I know the answers to a lot of these questions but posts have said F1, F2 and F3 were different and so forth.

That is why I tried to get the questions answered from Serotta.

So Scott says stainless and Brian says ti. Brian is talking "nut" where Scott refers to "bolt."

On Kelly Bedford's CSI I purchased I thought it was just a nut issue. That was for an F3; my other new Serotta with an F3 obviously came with the nut.

Jeff

spamjoshua
07-27-2010, 04:41 PM
Brake Nut received, bike built, pictures pending. :)

Joshua

ColonelJLloyd
08-22-2013, 11:06 AM
I realize this thread is over three years old, but I'm in need of a front brake nut for a recently acquired Fierte with S3 fork. The nut from my Campy brake is too large in diameter. Anyone know where I can get one? I have sent emails to the two Serotta addresses mentioned in this thread.

Thanks!

Edit: Proper nut found. Thanks, KidWok!

cmg
08-22-2013, 12:57 PM
go to a bike shop and see what you can find. a brake nut for Reynolds ouzo pro fork wil work. If you can't find the exact one but something close put the nut in a drill chuck and sand down the shaft with sand paper.