PDA

View Full Version : Campy 9 speed shifters with shimano capreo cassette

yim
07-13-2010, 06:32 AM
Will a pair of 1996 campy 9 speed shifters work well on a 9 speed shimano capreo cassette for small wheel.
I use the centuar front and rear derailleur.
Can anyone help?

93legendti
07-13-2010, 06:58 AM
I posted this 2 years ago:

...My Bike Friday Pocket Rocket now has Record Carbon Ergo levers, Ultegra front der., Chorus rear der. and Shimano Capreo (105 quality) cassette.

The Bike Friday shifts MUCH better. The Campy front shifter works GREAT. The thumb shifter on the Ergo levers is in a place where I normally rest my thumb with STI levers, so that's a bummer. Also, it is harder to shift to a harder gear while standing or in the drops with the Ergo levers.

The Ergo levers are not only shorter in overall reach vs. STI levers, but they also seem lower.

Interesting stuff... :cool:

Dave
07-13-2010, 07:27 AM
Shimano cog spacing has always been closer than Campy. In this case, it's 4.32mm compared to 4.55mm. If you adjust the RD perfectly on the center cog, you still get an error of .92mm or 21% off location at both ends of the cassette. A J-tek shiftmate would correct that.

thegunner
07-13-2010, 07:40 AM
Shimano cog spacing has always been closer than Campy. In this case, it's 4.32mm compared to 4.55mm. If you adjust the RD perfectly on the center cog, you still get an error of .92mm or 21% off location at both ends of the cassette. A J-tek shiftmate would correct that.

i actually played with this last year (for all of a week) and let me tell you, you'll never be satisfied even with all the gears hitting as they should. it's just... not crisp. get the shiftmate, save yourself the headache.