PDA

View Full Version : OT: Need more technology help

dekindy
07-12-2010, 07:46 AM
Now that I have upgraded to Windows 7 I don't even want to consider trying to get my 8-year old Palm device and software to work. Couple that with our dislike of Sprint I am looking for a new mobile telecom provider and ph.one/assistant
I have only used a telephone and Palm Pilot as standalone devices in the past. However I have been frustrated by the fact that I have information in the phone, palm pilot, and outlook that are not even remotely in synch.

My needs are simple. I need a mobile phone, address book, and calendar and backup. I am not sure if backup should be in the computer or from the carrier.

Any advice and suggestions that does not include Sprint would be appreciated.

Richard
07-12-2010, 02:53 PM
I use a Motodroid with Verizon. Its syncs really well through google calendar (duh) and you can sync outlook calendar through google, too. If you need to do MS exchange data then droid generally needs an app. called Exchange by Touchdown. All in all, I am satisfied. You can synch W7 with a palm through a bluetooth connection, but you have to use the Palm calendar app which sucks.

dekindy
07-12-2010, 03:46 PM
I use a Motodroid with Verizon. Its syncs really well through google calendar (duh) and you can sync outlook calendar through google, too. If you need to do MS exchange data then droid generally needs an app. called Exchange by Touchdown. All in all, I am satisfied. You can synch W7 with a palm through a bluetooth connection, but you have to use the Palm calendar app which sucks.

I was at Best Buy researching options and if I understand correctly you have to have purchase the data plan package that includes web surfing and other features that I do not want.

Why isn't there a simple way to back up my cell phone contact directory and calendar? I have a Katana II cell phone.

I have a Palm Tungsten E that I realize is ancient.

rice rocket
07-12-2010, 03:58 PM
A Blackberry will sync your address books, calendars, backup, etc...and you can run it without a dataplan, no websurfing though.

You can also get an iPhone w/o a data plan, and it'll sync through iTunes (plus you can surf the web and do Google Maps and such when you're in a WiFi area).