PDA

View Full Version : sram red

vqdriver
07-11-2010, 11:50 AM
i like my force so far but would like the rear shifting to be zero loss as well as the front.
is it true that red has zero loss on both the shifters?
since what year?

mike p
07-11-2010, 01:13 PM
What's zero loss?

Mike

bkboom123
07-11-2010, 04:21 PM
The red shifters are really quite superior in regards to "throw effort" and the zero loss. There is zero loss shifting in the right shifter, which I love, anything else now seems inferior to me. Really very quick, fast and precise rear shifting. The shift paddle has no wiggle room what-so-ever.

The left shifter is "zero loss" but has a very little bit of wiggle room. Comparing it to force 2010, the red left shifter has maybe half the wiggle room. There seems to be a greater effort need to shift the paddle on force then the red (could be because it wasnt broken in yet as I was on a few bikes that had brand spanking new force 2010 on it)

I cant remember what year my Red shifters are, but I would guess 2008 or 2009. I run Red shifters, crank, and brakes....and OLD force FD and RD.....and dura ace 7800 cassette and chain. For me it really is an optimum setup, far superior to my previous gruppos ( shimano 2203, ultegra 6600, DA 7800). The force FD is IDEAL over the red FD due to the deflection in the cage, as its made out of titanium. (TDF riders are running the more rigid force 2010 FD's, but labled as RED)

The best bang for the buck you can do obtain for optimum shifting would be a full Force 2010 gruppo, but swap out the shifters for Red.....at least thats my opinion

glenwitwer
07-11-2010, 05:03 PM
I have Red on one bike and first generation Force on another. I wouldn't pay much for the difference. Sometimes I actually think I like the feel of the first generation better. That being said, the shorter throw for FD is nice. Just my opinion. I really don't think it is a big difference. If I were building a bike up today I'd go with force or even rival and put the extra money into my wheels.