PDA

View Full Version : Spoiler: Stage 8

thwart
07-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Was out for a ride this morning, so missed live coverage.

Looks like LA is done... what happened?

ahumblecycler
07-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Versus is re-airing the first of many Stage 8 episodes ... let's just say Lady Luck gave him the cold shoulder :crap:

I loved the end ... I am hoping my tour predictions come true!

MattTuck
07-11-2010, 11:45 AM
Good stage :)

Sucks for lance and wiggo. I like A. Schleck, I hope he wins. But he was looking very isolated. Although, he does have to work on his victory salute... looks like he's doing some kind of dance with hands. Roman Kreuzinger also looks very impressive.

I'm not sure that lance would have been able to hang with the top contenders anyway, but a few crashes put him in poor position heading into the hills.

dogdriver
07-11-2010, 11:52 AM
A Schleck looks like the real deal-- one would think that AC would have covered him if he could have...

Methinks that Schleck's victory dance was actual enthusiasm manifesting itself vs. the choreographed stylings of those who have planned to win...

jblande
07-11-2010, 12:09 PM
agree on the celebration: was not rehearsed. watching the sprint at the end of the climb, one could tell those guys were absolutely done. i don't think he had time to think or react when he realized he had won.

i was surprised that contador went along with some of the small spurts in the last 2 kms, but then didn't make the last one. hard to tell whether he couldn't or didn't want to.

who knows what lance's chances would have been. contador, schleck and evans all look very strong. i'd love to see andy schleck take it all.

tuesday will be another huge day. 4 passes.

Steve in SLO
07-11-2010, 12:09 PM
Watching Armstrong be a super-domestique to Levi will be cool.

97CSI
07-11-2010, 12:25 PM
What happended on that first crash? Wondering how the guy fell over in front of LA at the first summit. Did he slip on the centerline paint?

bigreen505
07-11-2010, 12:51 PM
Looks like LA is done... what happened?

Remember how LA won seven tours with lady luck smiling almost the whole way? Today was payback stacked on the heels of the stage 3 payback. One crash was hard enough to remove the saddle.

regularguy412
07-11-2010, 12:59 PM
What happended on that first crash? Wondering how the guy fell over in front of LA at the first summit. Did he slip on the centerline paint?

Looked to me like the guy taking the musette got a little bit offline and touched a wheel. Plus, the assistant handing up the musette should not have been in the middle of the road. The riders behind didn't have anywhere to go, but into the melee.

Mike in AR:beer:

rcnute
07-11-2010, 01:06 PM

This is what I was wondering would happen. Will it?

93legendti
07-11-2010, 01:32 PM
agree on the celebration: was not rehearsed. watching the sprint at the end of the climb, one could tell those guys were absolutely done. i don't think he had time to think or react when he realized he had won.

i was surprised that contador went along with some of the small spurts in the last 2 kms, but then didn't make the last one. hard to tell whether he couldn't or didn't want to.

who knows what lance's chances would have been. contador, schleck and evans all look very strong. i'd love to see andy schleck take it all.

tuesday will be another huge day. 4 passes.
Contador doesn't have Armstrong's tactical sense and doesn't listen to his DS-a combintion that can lead to bad mistakes.

Rueda Tropical
07-11-2010, 01:51 PM
Contador doesn't have Armstrong's tactical sense and doesn't listen to his DS-a combintion that can lead to bad mistakes.

There is absolutely no indication that Contador does not listen to his DS (unless his DS is trying to put his new boss on the podium ahead of him).

Considering that Bruyneel and Armstrong are the greatest tactical duo in cycling history and an Armstrong victory would have been rocket fuel for their business plans one wonders how such a supposedly tactically inept Contador wound up on the top step and not Armstrong?

Andy is looking good but there are still a lot of contenders outside of Contador and Schleck. We'll see how everyone's form develops by the time they go into the Pyrenees. It should be a very exciting Tour.

hairylegs
07-11-2010, 02:01 PM
I'm bummed about Lance, but watch for me in red speedos on the top of the last climb on Tuesday! I'll be running with whoever... hopefully Schleck or Levi! :)

blschaefer1
07-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Andy looked like a tour winner today. What a great ride by Levi though, he never wavered. I'm rooting for him now.

Tough, tough day for Lance. Now I'll bet he'll go for a stage win or two just to make a point, and hopefully be pulling Levi right along too.

mike p
07-11-2010, 03:26 PM
Great ride for Schleck today, but if he wants to win the overall he's going to have to spend some time learning to TT!

Mike

jlwdm
07-11-2010, 03:34 PM

Considering that Bruyneel and Armstrong are the greatest tactical duo in cycling history and an Armstrong victory would have been rocket fuel for their business plans one wonders how such a supposedly tactically inept Contador wound up on the top step and not Armstrong?

Lets not compare a great rider in his prime to a great rider past his prime. Tactics aren't worth much if you do not have the legs.

I think RadioShack this year also has a lot of riders who are past their prime.

Andy Schleck's 10 second grab at the end was very interesting. I did not think anyone would get away from Contador in the mountains. This little weakness today could lead to a lot of attacks on future mountain stages. Not that many riders had anything extra at the end of today's stage.

Jeff

Rueda Tropical
07-11-2010, 04:03 PM
Andy Schleck's 10 second grab at the end was very interesting. I did not think anyone would get away from Contador in the mountains. This little weakness today could lead to a lot of attacks on future mountain stages. Not that many riders had anything extra at the end of today's stage.

Jeff

Andy Schleck is looking very, very good. To early to say anything about how the top 5 will be performing in the Pyrenees. It's a long race and you have to peak at the right time without loosing to much time before.

While I'd be happy to see Contador win another it would have been a real snoozer if he had just ridden away from the bunch today. I'm hoping for 21 days of fireworks. I hope everyone from Schleck to Basso, Menchov, Levi, Evans and a few more are attacking each other for the lead in the 3rd week. Then may the best man win.

MattTuck
07-11-2010, 04:08 PM
Andy Schleck is looking very, very good. To early to say anything about how the top 5 will be performing in the Pyrenees. It's a long race and you have to peak at the right time without loosing to much time before.

While I'm a fan of Andy, let's be honest. His time trialing is a HUGE wild card. How much did he lose in the micro length prologue? And he and Evans can attribute much of their gaps to the Gruber assist device in Cancellara's bike... ok, maybe just Cancellara's legs.

VTCaraco
07-11-2010, 04:15 PM
I'm bummed about Lance

I know some folks hate 'em, but I would have loved for him to be right in the mix. I think that other riders are stronger than him this year, but to me, this is akin to the US goals being mis-called. Just as with soccer, I know that's a part of the game, but I still think it stinks.

97CSI
07-11-2010, 04:18 PM
LA said that the second crash (the big one) was that he clipped a pedal which resulted in his front tire getting rolled. He didn't mention whose pedal got clipped or why. Ah, well...............there isn't 'next year'. Go Levi!

Steve in SLO
07-11-2010, 05:10 PM
I'm bummed about Lance, but watch for me in red speedos on the top of the last climb on Tuesday! I'll be running with whoever... hopefully Schleck or Levi! :)
Chicken! Pull out the Borat thong!

pbjbike
07-11-2010, 06:06 PM
Spectacular race today! I'm rooting for Andy. He's got it all except consistent TT ability. May not matter with all of the mountain stages and Astana pulling him up the grades.

Levi: I've rooted for him for years, but he doesn't seem capable of making the bold move, which a Tour Champion must be willing to do.

LA's second "crash" was a blip. He was already behind and that only added a few seconds. Even with a 3 year vacation, 38 is still 38. George Foreman was an anomaly.

soulspinner
07-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Schleck cant come within 4 minutes of Contador in the final 30 plus mile time trial. Cadel has a shot if he can limit his losses in the mountain top finishes cause he can time trial. I hope its close going in to the Pyrenees :bike:

michael white
07-11-2010, 07:01 PM
This little weakness today could lead to a lot of attacks on future mountain stages. Not that many riders had anything extra at the end of today's stage.

Jeff

blood in the water

pbjbike
07-11-2010, 07:08 PM
Schleck cant come within 4 minutes of Contador in the final 30 plus mile time trial. Cadel has a shot if he can limit his losses in the mountain top finishes cause he can time trial. I hope its close going in to the Pyrenees :bike:

Cadel can't win this race, ever, no way. Friendly wager for a bottle of good red on this year's Tour, I'll cover three bottles: Andy Schleck wins! Another three covering Taylor Phinney winning in the next 5 years... :beer:

soulspinner
07-11-2010, 07:16 PM
Cadel can't win this race, ever, no way. Friendly wager for a bottle of good red on this year's Tour, I'll cover three bottles: Andy Schleck wins! Another three covering Taylor Phinney winning in the next 5 years... :beer:

Looks like neither of us loses, Im in. :banana:

JohnHemlock
07-11-2010, 07:38 PM

I'm your huckleberry.

Bob Loblaw
07-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Lance is a great champion. The last two years, things have not fallen his way in any way shape or form, and he accepted it all with grace and dignity, even riding as a domestique for Contador last year. I hope he lights it up with a stage win or two before moving to triathlons.

Hincapie and Leipheimer are 36 or 37, Horner is 39. They're all winding up their careers. The sun is setting on an amazing era in American cycling.

BL

Tim
07-11-2010, 08:36 PM
LA said that the second crash (the big one) was that he clipped a pedal which resulted in his front tire getting rolled. He didn't mention whose pedal got clipped or why. Ah, well...............there isn't 'next year'. Go Levi!

Apparently, Lance's pedal hit the curb of the round-a-bout and that's what caused the problems. When he un-retired, after his first race, he commented that the racing was really fast- and that he was not used to it. This gives me the impression that he was, as the British say "riding on the rivet" or, near his max. This is where mistakes happen. He's crashed several times in recent months- something he never did in the past. This all tells me he's in over his head- and that this tour is one too many. I hope he rides for Levi uses his great tactical skills to help someone else to their best.

Elefantino
07-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Lance hits the deck, slides. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHBftK8okyA)

Not pretty, and no one's fault but is own.

It will be interesting to see him and Vino slice and dice over the next couple of weeks.

AC has everybody where he wants him. Cuddles has no team. Andy (so glad to see him win!) has no TT.

I just hope it's decided by less than three of four minutes.

Bob Loblaw
07-11-2010, 08:42 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Contador doesn't walk on water, and Andy surely had his number today. He's an inconsisten time-trialist, it's true, but he is looking great so far this tour. I suspect that's not he last time he'll be padding his time advantage over AC.

Cadel couldn't have won this race last year, but 2010 has been a hell of a year for him. He matched Contador pedal stroke for pedal stroke all day long today, and that dude can ride a time trial.

BL

pbjbike
07-11-2010, 08:48 PM
Cadel couldn't have won this race last year, but 2010 has been a hell of a year for him. He matched Contador pedal stroke for pedal stroke all day long today, and that dude can ride a time trial. BL

Yup, if he can keep his head together. Two bottles left. :)

jmc22
07-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Andy did win his nations Time Trial championship this year - I hope he wins the TDF now

JohnHemlock
07-11-2010, 08:58 PM
Andy did win his nations Time Trial championship this year - I hope he wins the TDF now

That's sort of like being Road Race Champion of Illinois. A nice achievement for what it is but maybe small potatoes on the current stage.

Jack Brunk
07-11-2010, 09:28 PM
Please, a true mountain top finish doesn't level off like today's finish. Wait till the third week when AC wins handily.

mike p
07-11-2010, 09:30 PM
I hate to say it but AC wins the tour this year. Schleck can't TT to save his life and won't be able to pad his time enough if at all in the mountains. Evans who's having a great ride and is capable of a good TT will fold like a cheap suit if he and AC are within a minute of each other going into the final TT. Cadel won't be able to hold it together mentally.

Mike

Jack Brunk
07-11-2010, 09:53 PM
I hate to say it but AC wins the tour this year. Schleck can't TT to save his life and won't be able to pad his time enough if at all in the mountains. Evans who's having a great ride and is capable of a good TT will fold like a cheap suit if he and AC are within a minute of each other going into the final TT. Cadel won't be able to hold it together mentally.

Mike
I agree with mike. I think that cadel was actually going off the back of the group until they kinda let up. Cadel gets props for his stage 3 ride and he gets to wear yellow. Cool race so far.

Rueda Tropical
07-11-2010, 09:58 PM
I hate to say it but AC wins the tour this year.
Mike

He is still the odds on favorite. If he stays close to Andy in the mountains which is a safe bet he will crush him in the TT. But I think this is where Contador time's his form to peak and this is where he wins the Tour:

Steve in SLO
07-11-2010, 11:17 PM
After successfully 'eliminating' himself from the GC with his dual Rope-a-Dope of a flat on the cobbles and a couple of well-staged crashes today, Armstrong has put his competitors at ease and will take out 15+ minutes on the Tourmalet, then bury them on his specially-prepared Trek Madone Unicycle in the ITT. He will then deliver a Timex watch to AC as an olive branch.
Next year, he will race a recumbent.

Climb01742
07-12-2010, 05:13 AM
the wild card in all this might be rabobank and leaky-gas. both had two riders in the final selection yesterday. could cause some mischief.

Elefantino
07-12-2010, 05:38 AM
the wild card in all this might be rabobank and leaky-gas. both had two riders in the final selection yesterday. could cause some mischief.
I agree. Menchov is pretty damn quietly lurking. And wouldn't it be a hoot if Basso was really in this thing? (Although Kreutzinger is their man.)
Please, a true mountain top finish doesn't level off like today's finish. Wait till the third week when AC wins handily.
Word(s).

oldpotatoe
07-12-2010, 07:58 AM

I'll take that bet..I think he'll be in Austin at the end, not Paris.

TMB
07-12-2010, 09:47 AM

Antilles, he owns part of a resort there ( along with his business partner - Hein Verbruggen )

RonW87
07-12-2010, 10:02 AM
How about Astana? Supposedly, Conty had no team. Navarro destroyed the field, meting out punishment to all except the very elite.

Bodes very well for the Pistol.

R.

gasman
07-12-2010, 10:30 AM

I think the only reason he won't be in Paris is a big crash. He'll man up and work for Levi I'm betting.

michael white
07-12-2010, 10:50 AM
I think the only reason he won't be in Paris is a big crash. He'll man up and work for Levi I'm betting.

And enjoy himself the whole way. No question about it.

pdmtong
07-12-2010, 05:46 PM
Sorta double post but when you see it, a lot of other things become clearer

Crash #2

watch about 2 seconds in - coming from right to left (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHBftK8okyA )

chuckroast
07-12-2010, 06:47 PM
OUCH! That looked painful to say the least.

Mr. Squirrel
07-12-2010, 07:29 PM
my cousin jaque assures me he had nothing to do with it.

mr. squirrel

Lifelover
07-12-2010, 08:15 PM
Sorta double post but when you see it, a lot of other things become clearer

Crash #2

watch about 2 seconds in - coming from right to left (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHBftK8okyA )

According to some folks across the hall he faked the crash to exit the tour early.

Not only can he ride a bike but he has one hell of a future as a stunt man!

TMB
07-12-2010, 08:27 PM
According to some folks across the hall he faked the crash to exit the tour early.

Not only can he ride a bike but he has one hell of a future as a stunt man!

This -- http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=218588

is not "across the hall"

it is, instead, a wasteland.

JohnHemlock
07-12-2010, 09:49 PM
This -- http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=218588

is not "across the hall"

it is, instead, a wasteland.

How does the hierarchy work around here? The VSalon looks down on the Serotta Forum and the Serotta Forum looks down on RBReview, and RBReview looks down on the Bicycling Magazine Forums?

TMB
07-12-2010, 10:00 PM
How does the hierarchy work around here? The VSalon looks down on the Serotta Forum and the Serotta Forum looks down on RBReview, and RBReview looks down on the Bicycling Magazine Forums?

Oh heck no.

RBReview looks down on Bikeforums.net, and EVERYONE looks down on Bicycling forums. ................ :D

And then of course there's Cyclingnews.com forums ..............

That is a whole other discussion. ........... :beer:

Mr. Squirrel
07-12-2010, 10:30 PM
... The VSalon looks down on the Serotta Forum and the Serotta Forum looks down on RBReview, and RBReview looks down on the Bicycling Magazine Forums?

my nuts do not smell either. :rolleyes:

mr. squirrel