PDA

View Full Version : Best Grease for Hubs

Tommasini53
07-10-2010, 02:58 PM
My tube of grease is about empty. I'm curious what brand of grease others are using for hubs. My primary use is in Campy hubs and Ergo shift levers. In both cases I usually use an injector to apply the grease. I'm currently using Pedro's (its red and medium consistancy). Do the experienced wrenches have any suggestions?? :beer:

97CSI
07-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Not sure if I'm 'experienced', but have had good luck with Phil Wood's grease over the years. Use it everywhere grease should go.

130R
07-10-2010, 03:37 PM
+1 on phil.

but white lithium grease from the depot seems to work well also for my "grocery shopping" bike too

Charles M
07-10-2010, 05:26 PM
The best product I've ever used, zero breakdown of rubbers and elastomer seals, medium light and lasts till you strip it. virtually completely weather proof...

http://www.motorexbicycle.com/PROD_IMAGES/bikegrease_2000.jpg

[ulr]http://www.motorexbicycle.com/prod_detail.asp[/url]

Pete Serotta
07-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Phil Wood grease.....

ALso chain and czssette oil demundo

kong79
07-10-2010, 07:37 PM
Another one for Phil Wood here.

pbjbike
07-10-2010, 10:05 PM
What Pez sez. Phil Wood grease was formulated 35+ years ago. Anyone repacked a CV joint? That's the real stuff.

Marcusaurelius
07-10-2010, 10:19 PM
Phil wood works well for me.,,dealer tried to sell me some shimano grease but I'm a campy guy

Steve in SLO
07-10-2010, 10:33 PM
I have used Campy and Phil grease for years with good results. For Campy hubs with grease ports, I've mixed Phil grease with Phil Tenacious oil...goes in easier than the grease alone.
I am now using Bel Ray Waterproof Grease, a motorcycle grease that works really well for BB cups, Ergoshifter rebuilds, jockey wheel axles, etc. It hangs around a long time and I like the blue color :). Besides, if it works well on my R1, I think it'll be fine with the power I put out.

97CSI
07-11-2010, 04:53 AM
What Pez sez. Phil Wood grease was formulated 35+ years ago. Anyone repacked a CV joint? That's the real stuff.Have always used Phil Wood on my bicycle's CV joints with good results......................

oldpotatoe
07-11-2010, 07:23 AM
My tube of grease is about empty. I'm curious what brand of grease others are using for hubs. My primary use is in Campy hubs and Ergo shift levers. In both cases I usually use an injector to apply the grease. I'm currently using Pedro's (its red and medium consistancy). Do the experienced wrenches have any suggestions?? :beer:

Grease is oil in 'soap'. Use any grease. I recommend light colored so you can see if it's dirty. I use local hardware store marine/lithium, mixed..pretty light blue color.