PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pads Aluminum to Carbon

steveo
07-09-2010, 08:39 PM
So, I'm about to toss on my first set of carbon wheels. I am planning on picking up a set of Swissstop Yellow pads but in the mean time is there a way I can continue to use my same pads, in the interim, for a few days.

I've heard bad things about using the same pads on aluminum then carbon because of bits of aluminum existing in the pads...which will scratch the carbon.

Can I clean/file/sand down the top layer of the pads to remove and particles that may be stuck in there?

Am I worrying too much?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to get on these wheels ASAP.

BTW, they are used (so I won't have to deal with warranty issues) and I won't be riding in the rain (I live in So Cal) and don't need tremendous stopping power as I'm only 140lbs.

Thanks!

-Steve

Charles M
07-09-2010, 10:42 PM
Way more work to file sand and clean pads than just change em like you're supposed to.

Dont go from alu to carbon with any pad...

go get the new ones.

oldpotatoe
07-10-2010, 07:51 AM
So, I'm about to toss on my first set of carbon wheels. I am planning on picking up a set of Swissstop Yellow pads but in the mean time is there a way I can continue to use my same pads, in the interim, for a few days.

I've heard bad things about using the same pads on aluminum then carbon because of bits of aluminum existing in the pads...which will scratch the carbon.

Can I clean/file/sand down the top layer of the pads to remove and particles that may be stuck in there?

Am I worrying too much?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to get on these wheels ASAP.

BTW, they are used (so I won't have to deal with warranty issues) and I won't be riding in the rain (I live in So Cal) and don't need tremendous stopping power as I'm only 140lbs.

Thanks!

-Steve

What Pez said..just trundle on down to the LBS and at least get some rubber, alu wheel type inserts and insert, at least until you get the very expensive swissstop.