PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to fix this?

bulliedawg
04-06-2005, 02:38 PM
Should I just use a countersink or something similar to pound the durn thing back down in there?

Thanks in advance

CNote
04-06-2005, 02:46 PM
The star nut just popped out??!!

Richard
04-06-2005, 02:52 PM
The shade tree mechanic's way to set these is to use an appropriately threaded fairly long bolt, thread it in and tap slowly and carefully to drive it in. Just be careful to go straight. Don't use a countersink as it would damage the threads. Also, you want something that allows some manipulation once it gets beyond reach. That being said, having one come out unannounced would make me cautious. It may be damaged to the point of not setting properly. Any LBS should have one and they are cheap.

Steve Hampsten
04-06-2005, 03:22 PM
Is that a welded aluminum stem? A ControlTech, say?

How can I put this delicately?...It might be time for a new stem...

You can also just add a new star nut, pushing the old on edown even lower. Have your shop do this.

TimD
04-06-2005, 03:59 PM
... it holds the top cap screw in place, allowing you to tension the stack and set the headset bearing tolerance... it does not hold your fork in place, nor does it actually clamp the stem in place... that's what the stem and the screws clamping the steerer do.

The AlphaQ in/on my Legend has a slightly loose star nut. Someone recommended I use JB Weld (a 2-component adhesive, probably some sort of epoxy) to glue it back in place, after prepping the inside of the steerer with fine sandpaper. I haven't done that yet. What I have done after loosening or removing the stem is is to reassemble the fork, spacers, stem and top cap. Next, I load the top tube vertically downward to insure the bottom headset race is set, then slide the stem down as far as I can by hand, tighten the steerer clamp screws partway, and test the headset clearance (by holding onto the top race with my right hand, holding the front brake with my left, and rocking the bike back and forth). If I feel no relative motion of the headset pieces I consider it done and torque the steerer clamp screws, repeating the clearance test afterwards. The headset is a King, so it is probably tolerant of a little looseness if any is left.

I don't recommend this procedure but it works for me.

TimD

Blastinbob
04-06-2005, 05:46 PM
They make a special tool to set it in place, I just use a metric bolt and tap it down square.

Ken Robb
04-06-2005, 07:28 PM
you can get a "Problem-Solver" device that has two co-axial allen bolts. One expands a segmented ring which is inserted into the fork and fixes it securely. The second one os the one that applies compression on your stack.
They are very reassuring in carbon steerers.

bulliedawg
04-06-2005, 08:50 PM
Is that a welded aluminum stem? A ControlTech, say?

How can I put this delicately?...It might be time for a new stem...

You can also just add a new star nut, pushing the old on edown even lower. Have your shop do this.

Yes. Could you eleborate on this please? Thanks.

Frank
04-06-2005, 09:56 PM
the frame has definitely been compromised! Please send it to me immediately for a lengthy and thorough inspection ;)

RichMc
04-07-2005, 01:51 AM
The star nut insertion tool is definitely the way to go. Take the bike, or just the fork if you like, to your LBS. It'll take them about 1 minute to set the nut properly. I've tried the bolt and hammer method. There's nothing like having the proper tool to do the job. I have that star nut tool now just in case I have to mess with an aluminum steerer again. What Hampsten may be talking about is that if the nut is set too low, or is too loose (never saw that?), then you simply set another nut above it.

Too Tall
04-07-2005, 06:46 AM
How did it get like that? Did you over torque the top cap or was this a botched attempt to install a new star nut?

No matter. The stem is fine. The star nut need replacing if you want to be really kosher about it but if it were mine I thread a star nut setting tool and smack it home end of story.

F.Y.I. I do not remove old star nuts...just push a new one over top the old one. Pulling them out can score the stem.

bulliedawg
04-07-2005, 07:01 AM
Thanks, y'all. I brought the bike to the LBS to have it fixed. This might be the first time in three years I've not done a repair myself. They were able to remove the old star nut, because it was so close the coming out. They were out of one-inchers, but expect to get one today. So, the bike will be ready to roll this afternoon.

Not that I'll be doing any riding. The weather here is awful, with violent thunderstorms rolling through.