PDA

View Full Version : TDF commercials

rpm
07-08-2010, 01:48 PM
Since Versus coverage is mostly commercials, I've been choosing hits and misses. I really like the Traveler's Insurance commercials with all the predators and prey coming together at the watering hole. How did they do that?--I can't figure out which parts are real and which are computer generated.

Strangely to my mind, I'm also enjoying the Lance Radio Shack commercials where he's laying down the rules as "Chief Mobility Officer". I like them because Lance seems like he's in character, beating up poor Alfonse. For me the commercials are having the intended effect. I hadn't thought about Radio Shack in years, but I actually might go take a look there the next time I need electronics.

The commercials I really can't stand are the Michelob "Ultralife" ones--the yuppie smugness just oozes out of the TV: "We don't take things seriously, except for the things we take seriously." Blech!

gasman
07-08-2010, 01:52 PM
I hate that they interrupt the commercials for a bike race.

bzbvh5
07-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Love the Shack commercial

"They're raising French babies and throwing soft cheeses as is the custom"

MattTuck
07-08-2010, 02:00 PM
I hadn't thought about Radio Shack in years, but I actually might go take a look there the next time I need electronics.

Be prepared for the "will you donate to livestrong?" at the checkout.

victoryfactory
07-08-2010, 02:20 PM
I like the one where Lance calls on the phone and tells the
guy to get off his bike too

Having said that, I just record the stages and watch em when I get home from work
That way I can zap the commercials. You have to add ~30 minutes to the end
of the recording because VS goes over time a lot.

VF

MattTuck
07-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Love the Shack commercial

"They're raising French babies and throwing soft cheeses as is the custom"

You're right, it is hilarious!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h86FSFzRexI&feature=related

"They said the weight gain in training was too much...."

"Everyone running after him, small children shouting "he is the champion""

Volant
07-08-2010, 02:28 PM
It seems like there is more commentary and commercials than actual cycling footage. But, it's still better than nothing. I also think the Rip-off Shack commercials aren't too bad; but if you've ever been in an RS in the past few years, they're no longer the place to go for small electrical components for DIY'ers.

SoCalSteve
07-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Digital Video Recorders are your friend...

dixiesdad
07-08-2010, 05:26 PM
God bless them all, but any commercial is better than the 6 million times the Lincoln Navigator commercials ran many years ago. the one with the guy throwing his coat down in the water for the woman to walk on, only to find out the running boards moved on the Lincoln, and the ragtime music. I always wondered if they actually knew the audience watching the race and if anyone actually bought a Lincoln, due to this commercial. the current commercials are non stop if you watch the mid afternoon recap show. This is so Phil and Paul can tip many pints and not have to do the full play by play :) be careful with the shack however you can by a 4 dollar battery and get a 2 year warrany for more the the cost of the battery ;) ;)

BryanE
07-08-2010, 06:05 PM
The Alphonse Rat Shack ads are very good.
Did Michelob hire an ad agency to make people not buy there beer?
I must be getting old.
Bry

bironi
07-08-2010, 06:41 PM
I record and zap, but it is still painful to suffer the 50% promos during the race coverage. 100% during the commercial breaks is fine. Compare this to the coverage of the World Cup. It makes me jealous.