PDA

View Full Version : SPOILER: TdF 5th stage

Steve in SLO
07-08-2010, 10:29 AM
Well, for better or worse, Cav is back. Hopefully his bike will fare better today than it did yesterday.
Looks like the God of Thunder got boxed in...too bad. It would have been nice to see a real head-to-head.
I have to say, I have always enjoyed Paul and Phil's commentating during sprint finishes.

thwart
07-08-2010, 10:32 AM
I'm certainly no fan of Mr. Cavendish, but at least this keeps some interest in the green jersey competition.

johnnymossville
07-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Well I take back what I said yesterday. He sure looked pretty good out there today. Congrats to Cav and HTC/Columbia

97CSI
07-08-2010, 10:45 AM
Am thinking those other guys need to forget about Cavendish and his train and do their own. They will always be behind Cav if they don't. Gotta hand it to him today. He did a good job.

McQueen
07-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Am thinking those other guys need to forget about Cavendish and his train and do their own. They will always be behind Cav if they don't. Gotta hand it to him today. He did a good job.

Cav's train today looked like it was wearing Garmin team kits (until Julian Dean imploded and unwittingly boxed Farrar to the outside..)

Cav's pretty much a 2 man show - with him and Renshaw - they had it down today sitting in behind Farrar and the Garmin boys until the end..

Acotts
07-08-2010, 10:53 AM
The Renshaw Cavendish 1-2 punch is damn impressive. In my limited TDF viewing life, it is the best I have ever seen.

The rest of the team ain't too bad at setting those two up either.

Its really cool to watch.

Did anyone think that Garmin was going to pull it off? I kinda thought that we would see Farrar's comming out party.

Steve in SLO
07-08-2010, 10:54 AM
Cav's train today looked like it was wearing Garmin team kits (until Julian Dean imploded and unwittingly boxed Farrar to the outside..)

Cav's pretty much a 2 man show - with him and Renshaw - they had it down today sitting in behind Farrar and the Garmin boys until the end..
Agreed. They played a pretty smart game with what they had.

William
07-08-2010, 11:15 AM
He needed it to get his head back in the game....as Phil said earlier. Well done! :beer:

William

Karin Kirk
07-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Renshaw delivered that leadout with a giant bow on it.
Did you see him wrestling everyone else out of the way? By the time they were within 200m, the path was perfectly clear in front of them. Props to Cavendish, but I think more credit goes to Renshaw in this case.

Too bad for Garmin, but I thought maybe they were going to burn their matches just a bit too early.

Acotts
07-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Renshaw did an amazing job threading the needle.

swt
07-08-2010, 12:16 PM
until Julian Dean imploded and unwittingly boxed Farrar to the outside..
Farrar said he went on the wrong side.

bozman
07-08-2010, 12:24 PM
I kinda thought that we would see Farrar's coming out party.

I still think he has a stage win or two ahead of him. At least I hope so...

SEABREEZE
07-08-2010, 12:49 PM
He needed it to get his head back in the game....as Phil said earlier. Well done! :beer:

William

I commented in another post, in a interview on Versus, his eyes where quite puffy, and perhaps his health was a issue.

Today Paul commented that he just lost his grandmother a couple weeks ago, left to attend funeral.

Perhaps thats where his head was. As you said William, He needed it to get his head back in the game. Looks like thats what he did today.

He was very emotional on the podium...tears running down his face..
Perhaps saying to himself, this one was for Grandma...

McQueen
07-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Farrar said he went on the wrong side.

And Vaughters said that the setup was for Dean...that Millar pulled off early (he seemed up there for a while to me) and they were off by a couple hundred meters. Go figure. If that was the case, still doesn't explain why Dean couldn't come around Hunter.

Climb01742
07-08-2010, 03:45 PM
hours of tedium for two minutes of excitement. i know sprinters deserve their moments in the tour sun but stage 3 was more drama and racing than 99% of sprint stages. glad the mountains are sat+sun.

cmg
07-08-2010, 04:04 PM
Cavendish was emotional on his interview after the race. http://www.cyclingfans.com/node/934 talked about how he felt he let his teamates down the day before.

97CSI
07-09-2010, 07:38 AM
Interesting to listen to Bobke disect the sprint in slow-motion this morning. AP was committed on the far left and then more-or-less blocked by Farrar when he swung left after a bit of miscommunication with his lead-out man. Too bad..........had Tyler gone right he would have opened up not only his own lane but would not have blocked AP. Likely no one was going to beat Cavendish, but we'll never know. Today should be fun.