PDA

View Full Version : Contador brings LANCE a gift...

fiamme red
07-08-2010, 10:17 AM
...but LANCE isn't there to receive it.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/4813/Tour-de-France-Alberto-Contador-visits-RadioShack-bearing-gifts-for-Lance-Armstrong-and-Johan-Bruyneel.aspx

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/08072010/2/cycling-armstrong-speaking-terms-contador.html

bocarider
07-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Contador is a class act.

Anyone think Dopestrong would have done the same thing? (sorry for the snark)

fourflys
07-08-2010, 11:24 AM
agree, that was pure class by Alberto...

I really hope once this tour is over and done, Lance can be the Patron he is and make ammends... competition does funny things to people and I don't hold anything against anyone during a competition... but, once you're retired there is just no reason to be mad anymore...

Hai H. Ho
07-08-2010, 11:33 AM
Anyone have any idea of the make / model of the watches for both the team mates and the one for Lance?

norcalbiker
07-08-2010, 11:33 AM
agree, that was pure class by Alberto...

I really hope once this tour is over and done, Lance can be the Patron he is and make ammends... competition does funny things to people and I don't hold anything against anyone during a competition... but, once you're retired there is just no reason to be mad anymore...

+1 :D

dancinkozmo
07-08-2010, 12:09 PM
...lance is a great cyclist but a small man imho.

jmc22
07-08-2010, 12:53 PM
It has been an annual tradition since Greg LeMond started it (back in 89' I believe) to reward your fellow TDF teammates with a gift... “It’s common for Tour winners to reward teammates and staff. “ so to say that this is something the AC did on his own or that LA has not done previously (without the BS fan fair mind you as AC did here) I think is pretty ridiculous. :no:

My question for all of you AC lovers – why did AC wait so long to give JB and LA theirs when everyone else received their gift ““(Contador) had some gifts,” Bruyneel said. “It was for Lance and me. All the other guys have gotten it already.” :confused:

Read into what you want but there are always 3 sides to a story :beer:

fiamme red
07-08-2010, 12:58 PM
My question for all of you AC lovers – why did AC wait so long to give JB and LA theirs when everyone else received their gift ““(Contador) had some gifts,” Bruyneel said. “It was for Lance and me. All the other guys have gotten it already.” :confused:The author of the velonation.com article speculates: "It’s possible that Armstrong and Bruyneel missed out on their watches when everybody else got theirs because of their reported no-show at Contador’s celebratory post-race party."

pdmtong
07-08-2010, 01:21 PM
QB's often give the O-line watches. its the token, not the money. People need to remember the folks who take care of them.

Good for AC to walk over there alone. there may be reasons why he didnt do it earlier, but he still did go there by himself.

To me it's odder how we laud athletes for acting how we all expect our kids to act in the first place.

Acotts
07-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the timing is funny.

I remember my uncle once left a tip to a very rude waiter.

He wrote on a $100 bill, "learn some manners."

I am pretty sure that Lance just got pwned.

Mr. Squirrel
07-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Anyone have any idea of the make / model of the watches for both the team mates and the one for Lance?

http://cdn2.ioffer.com/img/item/122/723/403/KG1E.jpg

very nice!

mr. squirrel

I Want Sachs?
07-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Maybe a watch with testosterone gel painted on the back of the watch. :D

TMB
07-08-2010, 01:55 PM
It has been an annual tradition since Greg LeMond started it (back in 89' I believe) to reward your fellow TDF teammates with a gift... “It’s common for Tour winners to reward teammates and staff. “ so to say that this is something the AC did on his own or that LA has not done previously (without the BS fan fair mind you as AC did here) I think is pretty ridiculous. :no:

My question for all of you AC lovers – why did AC wait so long to give JB and LA theirs when everyone else received their gift ““(Contador) had some gifts,” Bruyneel said. “It was for Lance and me. All the other guys have gotten it already.” :confused:

Read into what you want but there are always 3 sides to a story :beer:

That is precisely the type of small minded, cheap shot, petty type of comment I would expect from Bruyneel.

Rather than being magnanimous - take the opportunity to be a complete idiot, again.

Rueda Tropical
07-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Can't help but think that he's killing LA and JB with kindness. They probably rather not be reminded about who the new boss of the Tour is after the cobbles didn't deliver the hoped for leg up. So much more effective then some lame tweet. Old school sticking the knife in with grace and a smile.

Charles M
07-08-2010, 02:17 PM
...small minded, cheap shot, petty...

And er... True...

gemship
07-08-2010, 02:41 PM
The author of the velonation.com article speculates: "It’s possible that Armstrong and Bruyneel missed out on their watches when everybody else got theirs because of their reported no-show at Contador’s celebratory post-race party."

Yeah I know I read that, it don't mean jack... :cool:

Steve in SLO
07-08-2010, 03:02 PM
Can't help but think that he's killing LA and JB with kindness. They probably rather not be reminded about who the new boss of the Tour is after the cobbles didn't deliver the hoped for leg up. So much more effective then some lame tweet. Old school sticking the knife in with grace and a smile.

Even if he didn't do it for this reason, it would have been the best reason.

JohnHemlock
07-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Armstrong is a jerk, as witnessed by his insults of Contador today. . .

“You can’t take away the fact that he’s probably the most talented guy to ever throw a leg over a bike … I don’t have a problem saying that,” Armstrong said. “What we saw last year was extremely impressive on all levels — climbing, time-trialing, recovery, motivation, mental toughness.”

BumbleBeeDave
07-08-2010, 04:50 PM
"I don't remember the chit-chat to be honest. It's not what it appears to be," Lance says of photos that appear to show him exchanging some words with AC.

Like hell. Kind of like Lance didn't remember who Paul Kimmage was during that press conference last year? Like hell . . . Lance had spoken with Kimmage many times before and knew damn well who he was, but pretended not to, then proceeded to do his best to belittle him totally in front of the press conference crowd.

dancinkozmo is right on . . . LA is a big champion but a very small man and has proved it again and again. But anyone who doesn't totally fall down and worship LA is labeled a "hater" by the LA Kool-Aid drinkers outrage machine.

BBD

false_Aest
07-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Greasers VS the Socs

All I can say is, Stay gold Pony Boy. Stay gold. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok3w3cFV_t8&feature=related)

TMB
07-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Armstrong is a jerk, as witnessed by his insults of Contador today. . .

“You can’t take away the fact that he’s probably the most talented guy to ever throw a leg over a bike … I don’t have a problem saying that,” Armstrong said. “What we saw last year was extremely impressive on all levels — climbing, time-trialing, recovery, motivation, mental toughness.”

Ummm,

Of course there is his interview from last year ......

“He’s just a Spanish guy who has always lived in the same village, and he has his friends, his family, the street where he grew up, his country, his people ......... but he’s surrounded by yes-men”

That "village" is a suburb of Madrid.

And the absolute irony of Armstrong talking about someone being surrounded by "yes men"

Armstrong's entourage are well known as being critical thinkers.

JohnHemlock
07-08-2010, 06:03 PM
But anyone who doesn't totally fall down and worship LA is labeled a "hater" by the LA Kool-Aid drinkers outrage machine.
BBD

In my case, I think it's more that I am surprised by so many people's inability to hold two opposing thoughts in their brain at the same time. Why can't he be a cancer-fighter and an asshole? A generous person and a "small man?" Painting people as black-hat villains might work for Dick Cheney and his audience but the rest of us should be capable of more sublety and even conflicts in our reasoning.

KJMUNC
07-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Class move by 'berto, even if it it a year late. At least he did it in person so he gained so brownie points with me.

LA and Johan are just keeping up the appearance of a rabid rivalry, even if they thought it was a nice effort. I'm sure they don't want the appearance of any lessening of motivation for LA to go after him in the mountain now that they are buddies again.

gasman
07-08-2010, 07:03 PM
In my case, I think it's more that I am surprised by so many people's inability to hold two opposing thoughts in their brain at the same time. Why can't he be a cancer-fighter and an asshole? A generous person and a "small man?"

Yep he is all of the above. We are all contradictions at times-he is just more over the top.

BillG
07-08-2010, 08:19 PM

Anyone who beat Lance would have to be the most talented guy to ever throw a leg over a bike :)

(I agree with your point about contradictions though)

BumbleBeeDave
07-08-2010, 08:38 PM
. . . that is apparently making it look like Lance and Contador were having tense words--the "chit chat" that Lance claims he doesn't remember.

Being a longtime photojournalist myself, I can certainly understand how photos shot at just the wrong instant (or the right instant, depending on your point of view) can make things look like they are not. But this pic would certainly seem to be worth a thousand words of "chit chat" to me . . .

BBD

BBB
07-08-2010, 11:02 PM
. . . that is apparently making it look like Lance and Contador were having tense words--the "chit chat" that Lance claims he doesn't remember.

Being a longtime photojournalist myself, I can certainly understand how photos shot at just the wrong instant (or the right instant, depending on your point of view) can make things look like they are not. But this pic would certainly seem to be worth a thousand words of "chit chat" to me . . .

BBD

Any speculations on what was said?

How about:

AC: "Hey, my yellow SRM matches your yellow colostomy bag nicely old man."

LA: "Hang on. I've passed all my urine tests."

dancinkozmo
07-09-2010, 06:36 AM
how about:

LA: "you know michelob ultra really does taste like.... blaaaahhhhaa..."

AC: "jesus christ !!! ever hear of breath mints ??!!!"

Lifelover
07-09-2010, 09:11 AM

BBD

IF that picture is an indication of AC's response to a verbal beat down by LA, then AC is a complete WUS!

don'TreadOnMe
07-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Word is, the watch he gave lance, was set 5 minutes slow.

gemship
07-09-2010, 09:23 AM

that is very funny :beer:

Yeah talk to me more about this classy moment gents :p

jmc22
07-09-2010, 11:38 AM

Not even original - this comment was posted on the Velonews comments yesterday.

BBD

Being a photojournalist yourself it's funny how you chose to end your comment as if you were the only that took the picture and knew there was a conversation between LA & AC....isn't it possible that LA was in the process of looking and talking to someone behind AC?

We all know that the media loves playing things up and quotes things out of context…why everyone wishes to join into the feeding frenzy is pretty dam funny.

I think LA put it best today "I think we’re both tired of the drama, and just looking forward to the next two weeks of seeing who is the best man this year."
- Lance Armstrong about his relationship with Alberto Contador.

TMB
07-09-2010, 11:55 AM

It's called Karma.

don'TreadOnMe
07-09-2010, 12:41 PM

Larry
07-09-2010, 01:47 PM
...lance is a great cyclist but a small man imho.
Get a grip......... this is the man that has done so much for cancer research,
and who knows what else.
He is what he has to be on the field of competition.
He has the same fighting spirit of one Muhammed Ali, and still wants to be The Greatest.

JMerring
07-09-2010, 01:55 PM
and who knows what else.
He has the same fighting spirit of one Muhammed Ali, and still wants to be The Greatest.

He used his fame and fortune to help cancer and help bolster his fame and fortune. Let's not forget that. And he isn't necessarily what he has to be on the field of competition. Look at Federer, if you want both champion and mensch.

Larry
07-09-2010, 02:33 PM
He used his fame and fortune to help cancer and help bolster his fame and fortune. Let's not forget that. And he isn't necessarily what he has to be on the field of competition. Look at Federer, if you want both champion and mensch.
Yes..... maybe Lance is not necessarily what he used to be in the field of competition. He only finished third last year...... after the lay off, and after
a broken collarbone.

Andy Schlek has openly stated that Lance looks very strong so far. And was that not an amazing acceleration that LA pulled off after his puncture out on the cobbles? He left Popovich to sprint up to the next large group of riders?

With his current time margin over Lance, Contador, with youth and a bit of luck on his side, will most likely prevail. However, LA will still make it a
great battle to watch. Sunday will be a great showdown.

TMB
07-09-2010, 02:57 PM
Yes..... maybe Lance is not necessarily what he used to be in the field of competition. He only finished third last year...... after the lay off, and after
a broken collarbone.

Andy Schlek has openly stated that Lance looks very strong so far. And was that not an amazing acceleration that LA pulled off after his puncture out on the cobbles? He left Popovich to sprint up to the next large group of riders?

With his current time margin over Lance, Contador, with youth and a bit of luck on his side, will most likely prevail. However, LA will still make it a
great battle to watch. Sunday will be a great showdown.

Agreed,

It will be great fun to watch Cadel and Andy and Alberto going for it.

Larry
07-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Agreed,

It will be great fun to watch Cadel and Andy and Alberto going for it.
....... with Team Radio Shack in the mix....... pushing the limits to the summit.
:beer:

dancinkozmo
07-09-2010, 03:29 PM
and who knows what else.

ive got a grip just fine thank you.
this has nothing to do with what kid of competitor LA is.
if the guy had any balls (pun intended) he'd man up , drop whatever he was doing and accept the g'dam watch in person.
as has been stated earlier ...its not a black and white isuue..the foundation does good work but the guy is a douche imho.

JMerring
07-09-2010, 03:42 PM
a broken collarbone.

I was referring to the manner in which he conducts himself, not his athletic prowess, which is how I interpreted your comment re: conduct in the field of competition. His competitiveness and success as an athlete is not in question, even if it isn't the exclusive product of ability and hard work.

BillG
07-09-2010, 04:00 PM
And was that not an amazing acceleration that LA pulled off after his puncture out on the cobbles? He left Popovich to sprint up to the next large group of riders?

It was nice riding, but Popo had turned himself inside out getting Lance to that point. Of course he dropped off, Lance had been on his wheel for a long time.

jmc22
07-09-2010, 04:30 PM
ive got a grip just fine thank you.
this has nothing to do with what kid of competitor LA is.
if the guy had any balls (pun intended) he'd man up , drop whatever he was doing and accept the g'dam watch in person.
as has been stated earlier ...its not a black and white isuue..the foundation does good work but the guy is a douche imho.

You're right, it's not black in white as we have no idea what he was doing at the time AC came over (unannounced) to the team bus. All we do know is he was in the back of the bus doing whatever - 1)talking to his GF or kids on the phone, 2) putting chamois cream on, 3) waxing his carrot or 4) maybe ordering a pizza...not knowing what he was doing one should not necessarly assume he was avoiding.

I think if LA was in the front of the bus and avoided AC it would be less gray.

dancinkozmo
07-09-2010, 04:43 PM
You're right, it's not black in white as we have no idea what he was doing at the time AC came over (unannounced) to the team bus. All we do know is he was in the back of the bus doing whatever - 1)talking to his GF or kids on the phone, 2) putting chamois cream on, 3) waxing his carrot or 4) maybe ordering a pizza...not knowing what he was doing one should not necessarly assume he was avoiding.

I think if LA was in the front of the bus and avoided AC it would be less gray.

i dont buy it...if i came to your house with a gift, if youre halfway reasonable , you quickly finish up what youre doing , come out and accept the gift in person ...you dont hide and hope i go away.
(sorry if i sound harsh but i just polished off 2 humma lupa licious IPA's :) )

BillG
07-09-2010, 04:50 PM
i dont buy it...if i came to your house with a gift, if youre halfway reasonable , you quickly finish up what youre doing , come out and accept the gift in person ...you dont hide and hope i go away.

I don't know. Precision EPO microdosing takes a long time -- you just can't interrupt it if you want the right results.

Sorry, that was irresistable.

Larry
07-09-2010, 06:07 PM

I think that Contador was trying to play the good guy role before the start of another stage, especially before the mountains. I don't buy into the fact that he did this as an appreciative gesture to last year's Team Astana. Why was this not done before the battle started last weekend? Makes no sense.
Also, he had a full year to give these gifts to the old Team Astana. Why now?

Humm - a -na........ Humm - a- na !! :bike:

TMB
07-09-2010, 06:15 PM
I think that Contador was trying to play the good guy role before the start of another stage, especially before the mountains. I don't buy into the fact that he did this as an appreciative gesture to last year's Team Astana. Why was this not done before the battle started last weekend? Makes no sense.
Also, he had a full year to give these gifts to the old Team Astana. Why now?

Humm - a -na........ Humm - a- na !! :bike:

All of the other members of last year's team were presented their gifts ( watches) at the celebration dinner last year at the end of the Tour de France.

Two members of the team did not attend that dinner ( because they went to dinner with the new sponsor of the new team they were setting up, to which Alberto was not invited - classy ) - those two people were presented their watches this week, at the Tour de France, the race that resulted in the gifts.

I see it a gracious gesture - certainly more so than plopping them in a bag and dropping them in the mail.

What it comes down to is simple, there are some people who have bought firmly into the world view that Contador is some of resident evil genius and for those people; there is nothing he can do to earn a word of praise, or even a thank you.

I see in him, a competitor but a humble and gracious one.

He proved it with this gesture.

To me, and many others he merely reinforced it.

To some people it is just further proof that he is scheming, conniving traitor.

We will never agree if those are the poles from which we view this man.

I have made it clear what my view is, you have made it clear what yours is.

I am out of this thread now anything further is pointless. Feel free to rant and rave.

jmc22
07-09-2010, 06:57 PM
I don't know. Precision EPO microdosing takes a long time -- you just can't interrupt it if you want the right results.

Sorry, that was irresistable.

Yea, just what one needs to do before a FLAT stage...I'm assuming you know by first hand knowledge how long it takes - so do you also know how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie roll lollypop?

In the words of a wise man - Sorry that was irrestistable...

BillG
07-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Yea, just what one needs to do before a FLAT stage...I'm assuming you know by first hand knowledge how long it takes - so do you also know how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie roll lollypop?

In the words of a wise man - Sorry that was irrestistable...

I guess you're right. :banana:

tsarpepe
07-11-2010, 10:59 AM
And we just learned who's who in TDF this year. Lance 12 minutes behind AC. And no, it's not to be explained by the fall.

michael white
07-11-2010, 11:00 AM
Anyway, it looks like it's time for some new predictions.
Who is the real athlete among the contenders? Contador has had some great chances to shine, and hasn't done it. Today at the end it looked to me like he just got beat. Who will it be?

93legendti
07-11-2010, 03:37 PM
And we just learned who's who in TDF this year. Lance 12 minutes behind AC. And no, it's not to be explained by the fall.

"We came into that round-about before the Col de la Ramaz. I clipped a pedal and then my tire rolled off and the next thing I was rolling along the ground at 60-65kph,” said Armstrong. “It’s already hard to come back, hard on the body.”

Armstrong crashed at the worst possible moment. Stage-winner Andy Schleck said Armstrong crashed right in front of him and he said he was sad to see the seven-time Tour champ tumble out of contention.

“He crashed right in front of me. Something happened and he punctured his front tire and went down really hard. He was pretty beaten up. I thought he would really be up there in the front today, just all this bad luck for him,” Schleck said. “I feel little bit sorry for him. I know he wanted to be good in his last Tour. I think his morale is really low. I think he will try to win a stage.”

Armstrong had four teammates to tow him back to the bunch, but the effort cost him at a critical moment of the stage. Team Sky, then Saxo Bank’s Jakob Fulgsang put in big efforts to shred the pack. Armstrong tailed off the back and Astana went to the front, with Jesús Hernández, Dani Navarro and Maxim Iglinsky setting a brutal pace that put all the GC riders under the gun.

Armstrong had Chris Horner and Janez Brajkovic to help him pace up the Ramaz, and the Armstrong summited about 1 minute back, still within reach of trying to regaining contact with the front group on the flats and Cat. 3 climb into Les Gets.

Things went sideways yet again when the group rolled through the Les Gets with 21km to go. An Euskaltel-Euskadi rider missed a feed bag and crashed. Armstrong didn’t fall but was forced to clip out of his pedals, ceding 2:45 to the leaders as they rolled into Morzine at the base of the final climb to Avoriaz.

His time losses had everything to do with the last 2 falls.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/07/news/lance-armstrong-this-tour-is-finished-for-me_128132

michael white
07-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Yes, he was actually riding well this year, but for all the crashes and flats. Reality is a b-tch. C'est la vie.

We'll never know if he could've won this Tour, but in my opinion it would be illogical to think he could not. As it stands, there may or may not be a stage where he'll be released to go for a win; that will depend on what Levi is doing. We'll see.

Personally, I was excited to see him battle AC and am wondering now where the excitement will come from. But I guess there's always excitement.

dancinkozmo
07-11-2010, 04:17 PM
...law of averages...he rode all those tours without any major crack ups , now its his turn to pay.

TMB
07-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Yes, he was actually riding well this year, but for all the crashes and flats. Reality is a b-tch. C'est la vie.

We'll never know if he could've won this Tour, but in my opinion it would be illogical to think he could not. As it stands, there may or may not be a stage where he'll be released to go for a win; that will depend on what Levi is doing. We'll see.

Personally, I was excited to see him battle AC and am wondering now where the excitement will come from. But I guess there's always excitement.

Seriously???

michael white
07-11-2010, 06:58 PM
Hey TMB, let's not be difficult, I said there's always excitement, I'm just wondering where it will come from. AC and AS? But what happens at the TT? Cadel would seem the more rounded GC contender, so is the rivalry between him and AC and maybe LL now? it's just a different perspective, a rather new scene, trying to figure it out.

retrogrouchy
07-14-2010, 06:34 PM
Well.....

Barring the ever-possible disaster(s), it looks like a two-man race now, non? I personally would love to see Levi and/or Cadel on the podium too, but we shall see. Don't count Menchov or a couple other riders out either. :bike: