PDA

View Full Version : Ride report

RABikes2
04-06-2005, 09:40 AM
Rode a 600k this past weekend. It was an awesome test of mental and physical limits; challenging course, road conditions (a few accidents-two went to the hospital), elements (downpours, thunder, lightening, 25-30 mph headwind out of the west and northwest, temperatures got cold at night, a huge wild boar, railroad tracks from hell, climbs on Sugarloaf, The Wall, Bunkerhill, etc. all around the Clermont, FL area) and it was a blast! :p

I met Dave (davep), from the forum, about 10 minutes before the 4:00 a.m. start Saturday morning. We rode many miles together. What a great guy and cyclist; he finished the 375 miles in under 40 hours. That was the last qualifying brevet Dave needed to qualify to do a 1200k this year. I had some issues with dehydration (hadn't pee'd in hours and was chilled in 75 degree weather-been there/done that) and finished at 309 miles; I was still going in a forward motion, however, very slow, and knew around 2:00 Sunday afternoon I wouldn't make the 40 hour time limit.

It's still a rush to push and do these things (what an adventure we had), and days after, you look back on it and just :) :) :)

CONGRATULATIONS DAVE! Great riding with you, let's do it again! :D

RA :banana:

BumbleBeeDave
04-06-2005, 09:45 AM
. . . obviously need some serious therapy of some sort.

But then, I guess most of us Forumites do! . . . CONGRATULATIONS!! :p

BBDave

weisan
04-06-2005, 09:47 AM
RA, once again you are an inspiration. Thanks for sharing.

dave thompson
04-06-2005, 09:58 AM
RA: I certainly hope that you had your Froum stickers on your bike!

Congrats on the huge effort!

Sandy
04-06-2005, 10:02 AM
You and Too Tall are nuts. But you are a very nice lady. Too Tall is nice Too. We could start to call him Too Nice Too Tall. I think that he might be just a little more nuts than you. :)

GREAT accomplishment. You have my admiration.

From the asylum,

Peanut

RABikes2
04-06-2005, 10:18 AM
We could start to call him Too Nice Too Tall. I think that he might be just a little more nuts than you. :)

Peanut
It'd be great fun to meet TT and his wife and go for a ride. :) Ya gotta love the big guy's attitude! :D

jeffg
04-06-2005, 10:35 AM
I remember after finishing a double century that absolutely kicked my a**, someone asked if I wanted to ride Furnace Creek 508.

[Dr. Evil voice] "How about no!" was my answer.

You all crazy, like that woman who decided to ride the Terrible Two (200 miles and 16,000 feet) twice (she finished in 26:33).

I will be home recovering from my one day ordeals when you guys are still out there! God love ya!

Bradford
04-06-2005, 10:42 AM
I was so proud of myself when I signed up for a 136 mile ride I'll do this June. Now, not so much.

You are much tougher than I am, you have my deepest respect.

weisan
04-06-2005, 10:44 AM
RA, you probably covered all your bases being such an experienced brevets randonneur that you are. Just wanna put in a gentle brotherly-love reminder...please make sure you put on a generous coat of sunscreen. Our human bodies are not meant to take in such an extended exposure to UV rays. There I say it. :p

M_A_Martin
04-06-2005, 10:59 AM
Congratulations Davep and RA!

Sounds like a fun ride!

(and here I was patting myself on the back for riding 18 miles yesterday...)
:)

weisan
04-06-2005, 11:14 AM
Congratulations Davep and RA!

Sounds like a fun ride!

(and here I was patting myself on the back for riding 18 miles yesterday...)
:)

Ginger, knowing how banged up you got over that bicycle accident and the knee rehab program you are going through now, one small step for you is one quantum leap for mankind. :D Keep it up!

BumbleBeeDave
04-06-2005, 11:18 AM
How is your KNEE??????? . . .

BBDave

M_A_Martin
04-06-2005, 11:51 AM
RA's KNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEssssssssssssss

Yeah? How did it go? And how about the other issue? Better? Not?

Too Tall
04-06-2005, 12:37 PM
Congrats on the ride and tanks for your report. It certainly takes mental toughness to ride 600k. Our fav. Brevet is the 400.

M_A_Martin
04-06-2005, 12:58 PM
How often is
"Huge Wild Boar" part of a ride report?

Best I could do for yesterday was a bagpiper in the park...

Tom
04-06-2005, 01:08 PM
Oh, man. Mary Ann just made me realize how feeble I am - you're dodging wild boar and I'm intimidated by Canada geese.

In my defense, it's romance season for the geese and the cobs need to prove how rough tough and manly they are. One of those guys can knock me right off the bike if they try. To get stomped by a goose is nothing you want, let me tell you!

BumbleBeeDave
04-06-2005, 01:29 PM
. . . Hawg-ZILLA???

BBDave

davep
04-06-2005, 05:04 PM
I have to agree with RA - a tough ride in some not so great conditions, but overall a great experience.

Her account of the ride is excellent, except for a couple things she left out - which I have taken a sacred oath to not reveal, at least not on the internet :D

This was the hardest ride I've done, if not the hardest physical event I've ever completed. But I learned a lot of good lessons that I would never have learned in better conditions. Things like I can't pull at 18mph into a 25mph wind, you shouldn't leave all your warm clothes in the hotel because you think you will finish before it gets cold, those fleece gloves at the convenience stores for $1.99 are warmer than any bicycling glove I've spent much more money on, newspapers make good insulation, after 300 miles your low gear is not low enough, and so many more.

As all long rides, it was a series of ups and downs. Ups like cruising along in a 7 person pace line at midnight, with the wind finally at our backs, down empty country roads. Downs like having one of the guys crash on some railroad tracks and dislocate his shoulder - and he continued riding for about 12 hours! About half way through the day on Sunday I decided that was not ready to ride a 1200k this year. But I get to work on Monday and see the registration forms for the Gold Rush Randonnee are available, and on Tuesday the form is in the mail.

So, thanks RA for the support and encouragement. I'll ride with you anytime :beer:

Len J
04-06-2005, 05:08 PM
have my admiration.

Congratulations.

It is amazing how much mental energy is required for endurance events........and how many efforts are abandoned for what ultimatly comes down to hydration and/or nutrition........real lesson here.

Testing limits is the essence of life, isn't it?

Len

BumbleBeeDave
04-06-2005, 07:34 PM
“ . . . except for a couple things she left out - which I have taken a sacred oath to not reveal, at least not on the internet “

All the more reason to come to Owner’s Weekend and reveal them IN PERSON! :rolleyes: ;) :banana: :beer:

BBDave

davep
04-06-2005, 09:11 PM
It is amazing how much mental energy is required for endurance events........and how many efforts are abandoned for what ultimatly comes down to hydration and/or nutrition........real lesson here.
Len

That's very true. Ome of the hardest things about these rides, especially the 400k and above, is eating the quantity of food necessary to sustain hours of effort. Poerbars, Gu, stopping for sandwiches, chips, ice cream...trying to eat 300 - 400 cals an hour, or more, is a real effort.

RABikes2
04-07-2005, 10:04 PM
RA's KNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEssssssssssssss

Yeah? How did it go? And how about the other issue? Better? Not?

My knees were giving me a real fit until I realized (after riding for 12 hours) that my seat post had indeed, moved down. After I adjusted the seat post back to where it was suppose to be, they settled down for as much as my knees can and will settle down; they ached like normal.

Does anybody know about or had "Gluocosomine shots" in their knees?

And MA, the "other issue" is still an ongoing ISSUE. Crap, :crap: I'm on my 5th saddle since the first of the year. I've got a 200 miler in two weeks and then I plan to break in a Brooks real slow. :crap: :crap:
I am SO over the saddle sores and bruising. :crap:

Dave is being very modest; he rode like a champ, never complained. He was delusional though at the end. He didn't even recognize me when he got done!

And, ahh yes, yes, I have to butter Dave up so he won't get persuaded by BBDave to reveal a few details that occurred on this particular brevet! :D

BumbleBeeDave
04-08-2005, 06:28 AM
<< . . . I have to butter Dave up . . . >>

Well, THIS should be interesting to watch! ;)

BBDave

RABikes2
04-08-2005, 11:06 PM
<< . . . I have to butter Dave up . . . >>

Well, THIS should be interesting to watch! ;)

BBDave
Yo BBDave...who said you could watch?! :p Well, if you decide you'd still like to watch, then you'll have join us on one of our nice, little rides. Hmmm...maybe an easy 200 miler? :D

RABikes2
04-08-2005, 11:19 PM
“ . . . except for a couple things she left out - which I have taken a sacred oath to not reveal, at least not on the internet “

All the more reason to come to Owner’s Weekend and reveal them IN PERSON! :rolleyes: ;) :banana: :beer:

BBDave

I enjoy telling my stories BBDave; wrote a funny account of my recent 400k and plan on writing about the 600k. You'll just have to wait and read about "the details" left out of the "Ride report". ;)