PDA

View Full Version : Don't get mad Cav!

130R
07-07-2010, 11:20 PM
http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrennen/Tour/100707_TDF_rit4_Cavendish_reacties#

lol?

97CSI
07-08-2010, 06:15 AM
Was that 'pro-active' before they jumped all over him for giving up and throwing away green-jersey points yesterday?

oldpotatoe
07-08-2010, 07:41 AM
http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrennen/Tour/100707_TDF_rit4_Cavendish_reacties#

lol?

Punk..make him fix his own bike....

gemship
07-08-2010, 07:58 AM
Punk..make him fix his own bike....

Ha,ha maybe so on the other hand I imagine he earned the right to drop his bike after riding a long stage race only to finish without winning. Wait a sec... it's not really his bike is it?

echelon_john
07-08-2010, 08:01 AM
the belgian edition of his book: "(Spoiled rotten little) Boy Racer"

gearguywb
07-08-2010, 09:01 AM
He is a great sprinter but it would certainly help if he matured a bit....hence the reason for brining Zabel on board to help.

learlove
07-08-2010, 08:40 PM
WOW - pretty immature. I know he has had a tough time this year (between health/fame/family) but this kid needs to grow up. And whats with the crying all the time (after a win)? I can understand your first tour stage and Milan San Remo but every sprint win (like today) - geez get a grip.

Of all the dvd video and youtube clips plus magazine and book articles/pics of Sean Kelly (my cycling hero) I've viewed I've never seen him or a rider from his generation act this way.

130R
07-08-2010, 09:03 PM
Wait a sec... it's not really his bike is it?

it's bob stapleton's bike! he's just loaning it to the poor guy :D

SoCalSteve
07-08-2010, 09:04 PM
A different point of view...

I dont see him throwing his bike or helmet. He "dropped" his bike...and, I can understand why...Its the big league, the Tour De France and he wants to WIN.

Of course he is frustrated. He is a competitor. I dont blame him at all for acting like that...I'd be pissed as well.

I think the media REALLY blew this one out of proportion. Slow news day at Le Tour???

One mans opinion...

ahumblecycler
07-08-2010, 09:11 PM
And I think members of across numerous cycling forums are also blowing this out of the water ... :rolleyes:

Personally, I would be pissed if my team members did not get upset about losing ... just saying.

130R
07-08-2010, 09:12 PM
yeah i understand where he's coming from. you gotta admit though.. he is quite immature.

Cavendish cries:

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/tears-flow-as-the-manx-missile-strikes-to-claim-stage-win-in-tour-20100709-102jf.html

ahumblecycler
07-08-2010, 09:26 PM
yeah i understand where he's coming from. you gotta admit though.. he is quite immature.

Cavendish cries:

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/tears-flow-as-the-manx-missile-strikes-to-claim-stage-win-in-tour-20100709-102jf.html

He is immature ... he is young ... sometimes the two go together but age does not always mean one matures.

I have seen plenty of athletes who cry after winning and losing ... after all the King Kongs on my shoulder I would probably cry after getting the first TdF stage win too. What would you do?

mike p
07-08-2010, 09:26 PM
Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser.

Mike

SoCalSteve
07-08-2010, 09:34 PM

Mike

I think this sums up what I was trying to convey. He is a competitor and a damn good one...Of course he upset.

Its not immaturity or him being young. He's a winner. And, if winners dont win...

William
07-08-2010, 10:06 PM
As Paul and Phil said this morning....

Sprinters are a different breed: When you're winning you're on top of the world. When you don't, you're in the dregs.

William

Steve in SLO
07-08-2010, 10:55 PM
it's bob stapleton's bike! he's just loaning it to the poor guy :D

He's just carrying on a fine cycling tradition.
From the NeoPros manual to looking like a EuroPro:

If you flat and your support vehicle is nowhere to be seen, throw your bike in a ditch.

If you have a mechanical and your support vehicle is nowhere to be seen, throw your bike in a ditch.

If you crash and you need to abandon, if you can stand, throw your bike into a ditch.

If you are having explosive diarrhea due to bad clams from the team pasta feed the night before, throw your bike in a ditch.

If you lose, throw your bike into a ditch. If no ditch is available, throw your bike down by the team bus.

1centaur
07-09-2010, 05:11 AM
Note to self:

Reason for bike #15 - one to throw in a ditch.

Climb01742
07-09-2010, 06:16 AM

Mike

part of me agrees, mike, but part of me thinks that's an excuse too. i think there's a difference between "accepting" losing and being graceful or mature while doing it. the will to win doesn't need to be juvenile to be strong. i had a coach once who tried to pound that into my juvenile skull. :rolleyes:

William
07-09-2010, 06:58 AM
Throwing a bike for a positive result..... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw8M5dkTp_4

Stopping thieves. :bike:

William

rustychisel
07-09-2010, 07:22 AM
part of me agrees, mike, but part of me thinks that's an excuse too. i think there's a difference between "accepting" losing and being graceful or mature while doing it. the will to win doesn't need to be juvenile to be strong. i had a coach once who tried to pound that into my juvenile skull. :rolleyes:

Agreed, to consider otherwise is to accept below par performance (as a person) rather than strive to be the best.

gemship
07-09-2010, 07:55 AM
He gives a good show. All sprinters do. From my point of view the sprint to the finish is usually the most exciting part of a race to watch, watching a race from beginning to end is really kind of boring.

ClutchCargo
07-09-2010, 08:17 AM

Mike

So, then, what is a bad loser?

Class is class, whether in winning or losing.

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same

fiamme red
07-09-2010, 08:54 AM
Bike Throws: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (http://teamlandall.blogspot.com/2010/05/bike-throws-good-bad-and-ugly.html)

uno-speedo
07-09-2010, 09:03 AM
If that was Stage 4 then I think he had a mechanical on the final sprint, you can see him drop his head and see something is wrong, hence him not sprinting.

gemship
07-09-2010, 09:07 AM
So, then, what is a bad loser?

Class is class, whether in winning or losing.

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same

do you think that Cavendish is a bad loser? For what dropping his bike at the end of a race? He probably can't stand cycling paparazzi. Maybe his groin area was hurting. Heck maybe the bike just felt sluggish due to mechanical failure or low air pressure.

gemship
07-09-2010, 09:09 AM
If that was Stage 4 then I think he had a mechanical on the final sprint, you can see him drop his head and see something is wrong, hence him not sprinting.

+1 the thought crossed my mind. btw- I'm not a Cavendish hater or lover, I just lump all cyclist in the same boat as having loads of talent and drive to be pro which I am not. I suspect lots of folks are jealous in that regard.

ahumblecycler
07-09-2010, 10:24 AM
I think poor ( :p ) Cav needs LA never to retire ... he needs LA to take the bashing.

I heard Cav repeat today what he says all the time, he does not want to "let the team down" after all their hard work. His emotions are both for himself and for his team. I can deal with this, and in comparison to some other acts by athletes (e.g., Williams threatening the judge at last year's event) Cav's acts are more bark than bite.

From another perspective, it is also good venting and helps to move on.

learlove
07-09-2010, 01:13 PM
so cav won again today, any tears? Haven't seen the video yet. However If he would have kept sprinting (2 stages ago) he would have easily been in the top 4 or 5 which would have yielded him at the least 22 more points. Today he sits at 85 to Thor's 118. The 22 points (minimum) 2 stages ago would put him at 107 if not better. He'd be second or maybe in green and definitely ahead of Alyjet.

Now going into the Alps he will have to contest the small/intermediate sprints to gain points on Thor or wait until another sprinter stage which depending on how the hills shake things out may or may never come.

Cav stated before the tour he was after the green this year. His little attitude episode may have just cost him the green. Anyway, he is young fast and smart, he'll learn.

fiamme red
07-09-2010, 01:15 PM
learlove, please edit your post. No spoilers please, for those watching Stage 6 tonight.

rwsaunders
07-09-2010, 01:48 PM
Check out Cav's bike, complete with Samurai graphics. Note the saddle bag for the data phone...(spoiler info for 09 July)

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/pro-bike-mark-cavendishs-htc-columbia-scott-project-f01-tdf-26951

fiamme red
07-09-2010, 01:49 PM
Note the saddle bag for the data phone...What a Fred! ;)

mike p
07-09-2010, 04:09 PM
I agree 100%.

Mike