PDA

View Full Version : Have you had any success with a "Repair and Inflate" thingy?

Louis
07-05-2010, 11:04 PM
I mean something like the Hutchinson Fast'air.

Do they work reliably? I'm thinking of going to something like that (in place of my frame pump) for non-epic length rides. (This would be for regular ol' clinchers.)

TIA

http://www.lickbike.com/lickimages/1621.gif

R2D2
07-06-2010, 12:23 AM
I've used Vittoria's product (PitStop) on tubulars.
Takes some finese. With PitStop on a long ride you still need a pump/CO2, because after some period you're supposed to let the gas out of the tire and pump back up with air.

Louis
07-06-2010, 12:54 AM
One of the things that has me wondering if this sort of repair tool is worth it is that if you read the directions for the Fast'Air they say to "remove the cause of the puncture" (which of course makes sense).

In the case of my flat today I ran my finger all around the outside of the tire (a brand new one, first ride!!!) and felt nothing. I then removed the tube but kept the same clocking of tube relative to tire. I inflated the tube (or rather tried to) with my frame pump, located the hiss, then ran my fingers inside the tire in the area of the puncture. I found a 0.5" piece of wire that was still protruding from the tire casing.

If you're going to have to go through all that hassle you might as well patch the tube, pump it up and go. IMO only if the Fast'air is a "stop, connect hose, fill and fix, disconnect hose, and ride" device is it worth it. If I have to go through the same regular method hassle anyway, I don't see how it's worth it.

Louis

R2D2
07-06-2010, 01:05 AM
One of the things that has me wondering if this sort of repair tool is worth it is that if you read the directions for the Fast'Air they say to "remove the cause of the puncture" (which of course makes sense).

In the case of my flat today I ran my finger all around the outside of the tire (a brand new one, first ride!!!) and felt nothing. I then removed the tube but kept the same clocking of tube relative to tire. I inflated the tube (or rather tried to) with my frame pump, located the hiss, then ran my fingers inside the tire in the area of the puncture. I found a 0.5" piece of wire that was still protruding from the tire casing.

If you're going to have to go through all that hassle you might as well patch the tube, pump it up and go. IMO only if the Fast'air is a "stop, connect hose, fill and fix, disconnect hose, and ride" device is it worth it. If I have to go through the same regular method hassle anyway, I don't see how it's worth it.

Louis

You're right there Boss.
It is also tricky and takes some pracitce.
1.ALL air has to be out of the tire/tube as you won't get the presta to open.
2.Once you got it open you have one shot to apply all you can. It is not like you can start over or re-apply with any pressure in the tire. If you stop and try to restart you can push the valve stem loose. Don't ask me how I know.

So with all that a patch and/or boot seems very simple and straight forward.
Now it could come in handy on a timed event if you were familar with the procedure. On a tubular you can stop it up and be on your way w/o ever removing the wheel. Also on some of the newer vulcanized tubulars it is the only way to maybe save the tire for some more miles.

But it does look great on paper so to speak.........

Auk
07-06-2010, 07:58 AM
I've had good luck the couple times that I've used Vittoria PitStop. Sealed the hole up fine and I was back on my way. Just fill it, spin wheel slowly to spread it inside, and find the place it leaks. Then put your finger on it for 10-15 seconds and you should be good.

A few people that I ride with have used it and had good luck with it as well.