PDA

View Full Version : Triple Bypass

crossjunkee
07-05-2010, 10:40 PM
I don't see a thread started for the ride this year. Who will be there suffering with me? I'm riding solo this year.

JohnHemlock
07-05-2010, 10:55 PM
I will be there. How hard can it be?

chuckred
07-05-2010, 11:17 PM
I don't see a thread started for the ride this year. Who will be there suffering with me? I'm riding solo this year.
After seven years of doing the ride, decided to do something else this year. Now i am feeling some withdrawals!. It'll be great!

Birddog
07-06-2010, 09:09 AM
I did it 7 consecutive years but this will be my second to skip. I don't miss it in the least. It really is an over hyped event IMO. Do it once or twice and move on. There are many other rides nearly equal to or better than the TBP. It is for sure a challenge though, esp if the weather gets sketchy.

chuckred
07-06-2010, 03:25 PM
I did it 7 consecutive years but this will be my second to skip. I don't miss it in the least. It really is an over hyped event IMO. Do it once or twice and move on. There are many other rides nearly equal to or better than the TBP. It is for sure a challenge though, esp if the weather gets sketchy.

One of my riding buddies is closely involved in the planning and operations of this event. From what I can tell, there is a very strong interest in continuing to improve this ride. I would be glad to pass on suggestions as to what makes the others you mention nearly equal to or better than the TBP. I'm sure they would be given consideration if they fit the club's objectives for the ride, logistical and geographical constraints, etc.

Thanks!

godfrey1112000
07-06-2010, 04:29 PM
I will be there for the first time

Birddog
07-06-2010, 05:43 PM
I'm sure they would be given consideration if they fit the club's objectives for the ride, logistical and geographical constraints, etc.
I don't mean to sound like I'm bagging on the ride. Jeez, I did it 7 times. It's just that nowadays you have a very narrow window in which to register 6 mos in advance. The route has become a little boring to me, esp the part on the Interstate. The point to point logistics are a PIA. I don't care for the 750 mile drive through Kansas to get there. Yes you get a jersey, but the entry is rather expensive.

The ride is well supported for the most part, although it has had glitches, but then most rides do. It is the biggest, baddest, mainstream ride in Colo, I encourage others to test themselves and try it. I might do it again myself someday, but not just yet. The Copper Triangle for one, is a good alternative and has less logistical headaches. I love riding in the mountains but the TBP has become a victim of it's own success in many ways and I'm sure Team Evergreen understands this. Unfortunately, you can't go home again.

chuckred
07-06-2010, 08:53 PM
I don't mean to sound like I'm bagging on the ride.

Oh, I didn't take it that way at all... was seriously looking for good suggestions to pass on.

Certainly everyone is aware of the price being high. A signifcant amount of the proceeds goes to the various charities in the local communities along the route, some to pay the State Patrol and other juristictions, rent the space, trucks, pay for the catering (in my opinion, the meal is way better than other rides I've done) and all the other various expenses (yes, including the jerseys!). The demand is such that if the club was in it for making money, the price could be raised significantly without any drop off in demand! But, the club is still trying to keep it as a good value.

The point to point logistics are for sure a pain. Unless of course, you're Vail or Beaver Creek and people make a point of staying for a long weekend and spending money there! One natural outgrowth is increasing support for cycling inthe communities along the way.

The highway stretch is for sure nasty - and one of the reasons I wasn't too concerned about doing it again. I just heard that CDOT and the USFS (I beleive I've got that right) are in the process of paving a trail (with an unpaved side trail for equestrians). So, this will very likely be the last year on the highway. I don't think anyone's going to miss that stretch!

I suppose there will always be some glitches - but I know they're working hard to be sure the volunteers are well trained. As you say, they are part of virtually every ride!

Other improvements that I've heard are upcoming at the finish include better bike racks and more tents for shelter from the weather.

Really, I was serious about getting suggestions to pass along, as I know the folks who put it on want it to be one of the best rides out there!

As far as geography goes, I don't think they can fix the 750 mile drive! You're on your own there, I'm afraid.

By the way, realizing that there are many folks from Kansas that do this ride, I may have spoken with you a few years ago at Bicycle Outfitters? I remember meeting someone who had done the ride several times back then. I think it was the "rain year" (I'm surprised that wasn't my last one!).

Oh, and for the first timers like Godfrey - it really is great fun! One word of advice - the weather reports are good right now, and hopefully will stay that way. I don't know if you're from CO, but keep in mind that "chance of Thunderstorms" means you want to be done as early as possible! My recommendation is to start as close to first light as you can get organized!

Parking can always be a problem early, so keep that in mind. There's pleanty of room, but it's just the sheer numbers of people at the start. Also, pack a bag to be shuttled to the finish (unless someone will be meeting you there) and take advantage of the Rec Center Showers! You'll feel 100 x's better onceyou do!

crossjunkee
07-07-2010, 12:31 PM
One of my riding buddies is closely involved in the planning and operations of this event. From what I can tell, there is a very strong interest in continuing to improve this ride. I would be glad to pass on suggestions as to what makes the others you mention nearly equal to or better than the TBP. I'm sure they would be given consideration if they fit the club's objectives for the ride, logistical and geographical constraints, etc.

Thanks!

I've got one! I tell this to anybody that will listen. I DON'T WANT THE UGLY JERSEY!!!! The only people I know that want them are from out of state. It would be nice to have a less expensive registration option without the jersey! It's just another day in the saddle for most of us.

godfrey1112000
07-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Hello from the visitor's center at the Rocky Mountain National Park

crossjunkee
07-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Nice job, godfrey!

I'm starting to feel like a slug. I haven't been on the bike in two weeks!!!
I guess I'll use this ride to get in shape!

JohnHemlock
07-08-2010, 07:52 PM
I will be in Evergreen tomorrow afternoon (around 3 or 4) for a 2 hour warmup ride, weather permitting. PM me if you are interested in a ride and a beer or two.

bozman
07-08-2010, 10:13 PM
I've got one! I tell this to anybody that will listen. I DON'T WANT THE UGLY JERSEY!!!! The only people I know that want them are from out of state. It would be nice to have a less expensive registration option without the jersey! It's just another day in the saddle for most of us.

agreed. A non-jersey option would be nice.

chuckred
07-09-2010, 08:23 AM
After a couple of dreary, wet and cool days, the weather is looking great for you folks! Have a great ride.

John - sent you a PM.
Cross and Boz - will pass your suggestions along when I talk to my friend.

redir
07-09-2010, 08:34 AM
I've never ridden my bike at those altitudes. I'd think that would be really bad for people coming in from the coast.

godfrey1112000
07-09-2010, 06:06 PM
It was beautiful today,

Rode around the lake and then up to Copper Mountain

chuckred
07-10-2010, 08:38 PM
It was beautiful today,

Rode around the lake and then up to Copper Mountain

One of Colorado's finest, hope everyone had a fun and safe ride!

crossjunkee
07-11-2010, 12:49 PM
How did everybody do? I bailed on Loveland pass when it started raining. Hopefully everybody else hit the window of perfect weather. Next year I'll plan to start before 5AM.

JohnHemlock
07-11-2010, 01:27 PM
I started around 6, got some rain on Loveland Pass but nothing too gnarly, just enough to feel macho. Fullblown rain in Frisco but I was eating pizza under the overhang during the worst of it, so that was nice. I managed to dodge most of the wet, it was a great day. Lots of fun descents.

bill a.
07-11-2010, 04:39 PM
Did it for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed it. Rain at Vail and some Gale force winds at Swan - but great ride, support etc.....Will do again and recommend!

godfrey1112000
07-11-2010, 07:47 PM
I was happy because it was my first time

1. I finished

2. Hoped to get to Loveland by Noon, made it by 1130am

3. Brake Pads are toast, I will have new ones tomorrow

4. Hoped to finish by 4pm, I was eating a great BBQ at 330pm

5. Back to the Hotel before 6pm and still smiling

My HC climbed the mountains like a goat

Might do it next year but there are others to do

On to Indiana next Thursday

WarmWorld
07-13-2010, 10:03 PM
A few notes about the 2010 Triple Bypass.

I started at 5:30am and finished at 5:30pm. I had two hours of rest time. Overall, I was a below average climber on the ride. It was a terrific ride.

I was nervous about this ride, as it seemed to be one that I could go out to fast and never finish. This is a good thought to have on a ride like this; it boded me well.

Squaw/Juniper pass is 16 miles, steady climbs with some steep areas. There is a false summit you need to know about before you see it. I kept myself well-paced, and watched many many riders pass me by. They were fit and beautiful, with beautiful Serottas and Gangl's catching my eye. I did see but one HC; should have said "hi."

The downhill goes a full 16 miles into Idaho Springs. The steeps are steep, with lots of twisting turns. Once to the "flat", you quickly realize that it's really a slight downhill, so you can hammer all the way to Idaho Springs.

The ride from Springs to Georgetown is gentle and meandering along frontage roads which leave the I-70 area quite far. Beyond Georgetown, you get a steep hill into Silverthorne, some trail along I-70, then about a 9-mile strip directly on the I-70 shoulder. I didn't like this, but my hateful anticipation of it was worse than the actual ride, as the shoulder was very clean and lots of m-cycle cops kept the traffic clear.

Soon enough, you exit I-70 onto Highway 6 and take the long switch-backing turns to the summit. I realized that getting food in is perhaps the biggest challenge, and the leggins and arm warmers were really important in the wind to keep off the chill. This gets exposed up top, above treeline. Approaching the summit, we were threatened by rain and strong headwinds. I could see the rain free-falling from my altitude down onto the road and riders below. I was fortunate to have rain only on the top 1/3 of the climb and descent. It was paired with some hellaciously gusty winds which were chilly but not terribly cold.

The descent was long, but a bit treacherous in the rain with wind. Once I reached the dry areas, I could again hammer, hitting 50 and staying around 43 for several miles.

The next rest stop was a high school. I took a short break, thinking I might be able to stay ahead of the rain. I could not.

Swan mountain is a good climb that must be remembered as a climb. It is not a 15 mile pass, but it has a few good miles of steep that can sap you. It's beautiful country.

I must say that Frisco to Copper, along a rather nice bike trail, was my least favorite passage. We were soaked in drizzle and light rain, a Seattle-like blanket that appeared it would never move. And while it felt like it ws flat and rolling, it was gently uphill and rolling. Vail pass was short and rather easy. By this time, I was forcing myself to drink energy drink every half mile, and it felt like it made a difference, as I increased my pace up and over the top. The sun was out again, the wind calm, and it was simply beautiful.

The Vail descent is dangerous, as it contains a number of abruptly narrowing spaces and sharp corners, and places with three barrier bars in the road. It's a good place to pay sharp attention.

Last, the road into Avon was a blast. Sun shining, the end in mind, and lots of pacelines that just flew along. I tucked into a 4-person team that pulled a group of perhaps 30 riders along at a 28mph clip, with adrenalin and the hope to finish keeping us going.

Overall, it was a terrific feeling of accomplishment. I went in with just a few climbs for the year, and perhaps three centuries, but not too much else. I did not explicitly train for the ride, having purchased a ticket on Craigslist the week before.

My advice, which I will take for next year, is to train. But if you have not trained and are in reasonable condition, go do it, start slow, and feel a real sense of accomplishment when done. I can really understand why people repeat this ride. The terrain is varied, the land beautiful, the feeling at the end, delightful. And each little section, next year, will feel just a little bit familiar, and for a year, I can wonder about how I could have gone faster here and there...

bob the nailer
07-14-2010, 07:20 PM
This was my fifth triple, although as planned I really only did a double. I rode solo this year, with no buddies(see someones earlier post about the sign on process) and no sag, so I was pretty set ahead of time just to do Squaw and Loveland, then ride to my friends house in silverthorne, he had already chauffered me to Evergreen I didn't want him to have to drive all the way to beaver creek to get me. I really enjoyed squaw, the weather and scenery were beautiful, I though the wind blowing in your face all the way up I-70 was nasty, couldn't get my temp right. The 3 miles of dirt road, trash on the I-70 shoulder, and the grooved pavement at Loveland were nice touches. I realize the TBP organizers have no control over these things, however I sent an email to the person in team evergreen asking if they were going to clean up the shoulder, as I noticed on my way to silverthorne on monday july 5 the junk all over it. She answered "yea we are". Couldn't tell it by me. I suffered more up from georgetown up over loveland than I thought, I think i went too hard that week prior, had already climbed squaw, loveland from the west, and part of Mt Evans. fortunately I missed any rain. I think I might move on to something else, maybe a multiday ride like the "Ride the rockies" or some such.