PDA

View Full Version : Simple Green?

goblue
07-03-2010, 11:43 AM
I have been using diluted Simple Green to clean my Legend TI...drive train frame...everything. This stuff works great! However===Is there a downside to this approach?

dave thompson
07-03-2010, 12:39 PM
I've been using Simple Green on bikes for years with no issues. The only potential downside is if Simple Green is left on aluminum for a long period of time, it can start to attack the aluminum. I contacted Simple Green about that and was told a 'long period of time' meant more than a day. So rinse well grasshopper.

A better product for your Ti frame is, IMO, Lemon Pledge. Easy to use, cleans very well and smells so lemony fresh!

Climb01742
07-03-2010, 12:41 PM
dave, i have a ti frame that has paint+bare ti bits. does pledge work well on both surfaces? thanks.

Dekonick
07-03-2010, 01:06 PM
Yes.

dave thompson
07-03-2010, 01:07 PM
dave, i have a ti frame that has paint+bare ti bits. does pledge work well on both surfaces? thanks.
Extremely well. My Hors Cat, Time, Taylor and Co Motion all smell wonderful. They are clean and shiny too.

Buy an aerosol can of Lemon Pledge, it's fairly cheap, and give it a try.

rwsaunders
07-03-2010, 01:13 PM
+1 on the Lemon Pledge and Ti....just cleaned my Legend this morning. Mrs. RW just shakes her head when she sees the can on the workstand.

SEABREEZE
07-03-2010, 01:29 PM
+1 on the Lemon Pledge and Ti....just cleaned my Legend this morning. Mrs. RW just shakes her head when she sees the can on the workstand.

You know what that shakkens all about.

'' I cant get him to polish the furniture , but he can on that dam _ _ _ _ ''

Thanks for the +1 using pledge on Ti, seems other fill that way also...

I would imagine it has a cleaning agent, and a wax

goblue
07-03-2010, 02:07 PM
So; Pledge for the frame and Simple Green for the drive train...Thanks for the advice!

Pete Serotta
07-03-2010, 04:03 PM

I have used it until the ford Excursion hit it a few weeks ago....going back to the mother ship to revive :D :D

itspeedmoore
07-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Simple Green can cause chains to crack. This was a big deal a few years ago for people that were soaking the chains in the stuff.

velobran
07-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Simple Green can cause chains to crack. This was a big deal a few years ago for people that were soaking the chains in the stuff.

+1

Even read an article from a pro tour mechanic who said the same. Chains were breaking prematurely. A friend here was going through DA chains every 2K miles and cleaning them with simple green. I told him about the article I read with the PT mechanic and he tried my advice and voila, no broken chain over the last 12 months (yes should have changed by now, but that's not the point).

Wilkinson4
07-03-2010, 08:33 PM
This was a big deal a few years ago for people that were soaking the chains in the stuff.

Never soak your chain. Washes the oil out of the places it needs to be and it's never the same.

I believe Simple Green was banned by the FAA awhile ago.But the tests always soaked stuff in it for a week... I think you can use it diluted, spray on, wash it with Dawn and spray off with clean water. Don't let it sit.

Use 303 on your other non-metal bits. I still use Diesel (Don't hate) because it has oil in it and will not flush out the the oil in the rivets.

mIKE

JeremyFXDWG
07-03-2010, 09:46 PM
I have had some issue with SG and bikes.The problem is is gets under "stuff". I would spray down my bars and such but it would get between the shifter and bar. I wold rinse well but not all would come out and it would start to corrode the bars and shifters / brakes. I have also seen it streak powder coat finishes as well.

I keep the stuff a long way away from my bike. I can even image what it would to do my raw finish Turner.

JP

blschaefer1
07-03-2010, 10:16 PM
I'm a big fan of Pedro's Bike Lust. It's a silicon-based polish that makes ti gleam, as well as paint and carbon. Great stuff.

SoCalSteve
07-04-2010, 12:13 AM
Don't forget Lemon Pledge wipes either....or, just take a bit of citrus degreaser, dilute it with about 50% water and a clean rag...works very well on getting the oils from your hands off of Ti.

Dekonick
07-04-2010, 10:55 AM
I am in the middle of an expirement... Ill let yall know how it turns out in the end...

I am using some left over oil (mobil 1) and am putting my chain in a bag with the oil then using my ultrasonic cleaner for 10 minutes. So far, the chain (that I cleaned first with degreaser and water. It appeared as good as new) has completely turned the oil dark brown with dirt etc. Obviously there is a lot of crap we just can't clean with a sponge/chain brush and degreaser. I am hoping the dirt will eventually settle to the bottom and I will be able to re- use the oil. If it works, my hope is the chains will last longer. Time will tell. I have 3 chains in rotation... so it may take a year or 2 to find out.

:)

WarmWorld
07-04-2010, 12:35 PM
Anyone ever use the stainless steel kitchen wet wipes on Ti? It's non-abrasive, and makes it look BRAND NEW. No fuss, no mess.

vjp
07-04-2010, 02:44 PM
I had a blown head gasket in my race car once upon a time and I sprayed the engine compartment with simple green let it sit for 10 minutes or so and hosed it off. It removed all the cad, alodine and other finishes from all the hose fittings, screw heads etc. I believe it will attack anno finishes also so be careful.

vjp

HenryA
07-05-2010, 11:17 AM
I'm a big fan of Pedro's Bike Lust. It's a silicon-based polish that makes ti gleam, as well as paint and carbon. Great stuff.

+1

Most any silicone car polish will do the same.
It also makes the bike real easy to clean later.

Tom
07-05-2010, 02:54 PM
I clean my chain with mineral spirits. I am not sure why that works better than anything else I ever tried but it does.

Chief
07-05-2010, 03:28 PM
I clean my chain with mineral spirits. I am not sure why that works better than anything else I ever tried but it does.

I also use mineral spirits for cleaning my chain and then wash it with a detergent and dry it before applying any lubricant. I have been told that SG contains some mild acids that may adversely impact lubricants, particularly synthetic ones, if SG is not thoroughly remove before applying the lubricant.

goblue
07-05-2010, 09:28 PM
I think Im done w/ SG...

dekindy
07-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Soap and water in a Park Tool Cyclone Chain Scrubber is all you need. I do put some degreaser on a brush to clean the cassette. However you want to remove the dirt and grime but leave the lubricant coating on the chain. Dumonde Tech directions specify this but dry the chain first. Happy Chain is formulated to apply while the chain is wet. My chains are quieter, shift more smoothly, and last longer and cassettes last longer since I quit using degreaser. This and being much more diligent about wiping down my chain before each ride has made a tremendous difference.

fjaws
07-06-2010, 02:12 AM
.... It removed all the cad, alodine and other finishes from all the hose fittings, screw heads etc. vjp

But did it clean the engine compartment? :D

130R
07-06-2010, 02:20 AM
i used pledge all the time when i had my merlin. it gave it a brown tint.

now i have a nude carbon calfee and plan to use 303 on that.