PDA

View Full Version : What is a "Gran Fondo" ride?

fiamme red
07-02-2010, 10:42 AM
http://granfondophiladelphia.com/what-is-gran-fondo/

"Gran Fondos are long distance, mass-participation cycling events – not races – that have become immensely popular in Italy. Participation is open to recreational and competitive amateur cyclists, and tens of thousands of riders of all abilities participate."

So how is this sort of thing different from a century, except the fancy name?

mgm777
07-02-2010, 10:52 AM
They're timed. So, when finished you can compare your performance to others. Not a race, not a century ride, somewhere in the middle.

chuckred
07-02-2010, 10:54 AM
I thought they had a mass start, a time element (either for the whole event or for a portion, such as a hill climb), and at least a covert competitive aspect? Sort of a road versioin of the large famous marathons except without the pro-race component.

BumbleBeeDave
07-02-2010, 11:04 AM
. . . "not races" my ass . . . When was the last time you went on ANY group ride where there wasn't a group who acted like they were racing for money? :p

Take this group of "recreational" cyclists (see pic), outfit them in replica race kit on the same bikes the pros ride, and turn them loose . . . :eek: :eek: :eek:

BBD

fiamme red
07-02-2010, 11:07 AM
When they run a gran fondo in Italy, is the course closed to car traffic? From BBD's photo, that's my guess.

SEABREEZE
07-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Why the triangle group in front of banner

If these folks are all from the local area, being a local bike dealer isn't a bad thing... Thats alot of people = lots of bikes

BengeBoy
07-02-2010, 11:57 AM
I'm doing the first Whistler Gran Fondo in September - Vancouver to Whistler, B.C.

My understanding is as stated above: it's a mass start, and everyone is timed. Racers start at the front, the rest of us huddle up to the rear.

I don't know how they really work in Italy, but to me it sounds like the typical big city marathon event in the U.S. -- where a bunch of people at the front are competing for best time, a bunch of people in the back are just trying to finish.

Also, they tend to cost a lot more than centuries to participate in, and the roads are closed to traffic.

In the case of the Whistler Gran Fondo, they are closing one lane of the (spectacular) Sea-to-Ski Highway between Vancouver and Whistler.

jlwdm
07-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Gran Fondo Serotta Forum Thread (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=72202&highlight=gran+fondo)

Jeff

MattTuck
07-02-2010, 12:42 PM
I'm doing the first Whistler Gran Fondo in September - Vancouver to Whistler, B.C.

My understanding is as stated above: it's a mass start, and everyone is timed. Racers start at the front, the rest of us huddle up to the rear.

I don't know how they really work in Italy, but to me it sounds like the typical big city marathon event in the U.S. -- where a bunch of people at the front are competing for best time, a bunch of people in the back are just trying to finish.

Also, they tend to cost a lot more than centuries to participate in, and the roads are closed to traffic.

In the case of the Whistler Gran Fondo, they are closing one lane of the (spectacular) Sea-to-Ski Highway between Vancouver and Whistler.

Does the profile on this page make sense to anyone else? http://www.rbcgranfondowhistler.com/route.htm

It says, you climb 2400 ft, but only net 650. The profile doesn't show 2400 ft. of climbing.

Charles M
07-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Don't kid yourself.

These things in Europe are races...

They're also very well run tour days and a lot of fun. You have a choice.

But some of these events have been around for a lot longer than some very popular races in North America and winning is no small part.

If you're ignorant, you can, in your first Euro-GF, find yourself sitting in and hammering at 50+kph and realize you are burning matches... And you look up and see that everyone around you has shoes and shirts and shorts that match their bike and helmet (and your the only one that paid for yours), and the 3 guys on the front are wearing the same kit... Then realize that you recognize several of the guys you're with because you took pictures of them at a Pro Tour Race a week ago. Then realize that your press creds, rather than your riding ability, gave you a spot up front at the start. Then realize your heart is pounding so loudly that you can't hear the idle (free breathing) chatter going on around you (in 4 langauges and that Belgians sound a lot like StarTrek Klingons). Then a moto pulls up and tells you your groupe of 70 people have gapped the other 10,000 by 20 minutes and if you pop, you will have no support. Then just when the road tilts up a few lesser pro's who want the Pro Tour riders to take note decide to drop the hammer. Then you realize your 40 year old hammer didn't survive the trip and/or make it through customs... Then (after 40 minutes of riding alone) you realize that the next group to come along is full of aging pro's who's 40 year old hammers are 1.2 times larger than your hammer was...

20 years ago. But you interviewed two of em and they help and push and feed and water you to the end. Where a defib machine on your balls couldn't make your legs twitch...

Here they lack a lot of history and the prestige in "winning" the day isnt as big a deal...

Really very cool events with something for everyone.

jlwdm
07-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Pez

Great post.

Jeff

BengeBoy
07-02-2010, 03:12 PM
Does the profile on this page make sense to anyone else? http://www.rbcgranfondowhistler.com/route.htm

It says, you climb 2400 ft, but only net 650. The profile doesn't show 2400 ft. of climbing.

It says 2,400 meters in total climbing, 1,750 meters of descending, and you end up at Whistler Village, 650 meters higher in elevation than the starting point.

It makes sense to me, even though the profile they show doesn't look it. Overall you are climbing from the seacoast to ski resort, but there are lots of small ups-and-downs on the Sea-to-Ski highway.

Pete Serotta
07-02-2010, 03:54 PM
Levi has a GRAND FONDO in SEPT. in SANTA ROSA...One of my all time favorite areas in the places I know of..

Hope to see you there and ride... (Yeah I will have a few red before..)

PETE