PDA

View Full Version : International Selkirk Loop tour-photos

eddief
07-02-2010, 10:43 AM
Just completed 11 day, 550 miles Loop tour offered by Bicycle Adventure Club. Credit card tour with explicit cue sheets, luggage transport, hotels?, and a few group meals included. I should also mention, there were two ride leaders who put the trip together, both of whom rode the entire route along with 22 participants.

This was by far my longest, most challenging ride ever. From 25 to 70 miles per day with the average being around 50.

First few days were rainy, but then smooth, sometimes headwinded, but mostly not...for the next 9 days. Growing to appreciate the Showers Pass Elite 2.0 jacket is a prime travel partner.

While not exclusive for oldies, the youngest person on the ride was 55 and the oldest was 68. Some old farts can really ride. I thought the Loop would be crowded with cars and motorcycles, but with the exception, in some cases of not being able to avoid a couple of big highways for some miles, the route was mostly on uncrowded, finely paved roads.

BC was gorgeous. Nothing in particular to do, but lots to see. New Denver, Kaslo, Metaline Falls. This route began and ended in Spokane. Wanted to drink with Dave Thompson, but I was riding so fast yesterday down the Centennial Trail from Coer d'Alene I could not stop myself as I am sure I wizzed past where he lives on my way to pack for flying home.

Interesting enough equipment is super impt. on an 11 day ride with limited sag. I have a fine Bike Friday. But all of my training in the last 6 months has been on a big wheel bike. I started to get antsy about doing this tour on a 20 inch wheeled, twitchy steering BF.

Two weeks before the trip, I ran into a 58 coupled Riv Rambouillet with case. I quickly put the parts together to build it up, rode it about 5 miles in the hood, then stuck it in the travel case the day before the trip. Really the perfect bike for this ride. No mech issues, just a couple of flat tires in 600 miles.

I am super fickle about bikes, but now have a heavy leaning towards this coupled 700C approach. It made it there in the case and did not get mangled. Have not yet looked today to see how it did on the return trip.

While we were in hotels for each night and all had a TV, I watched a total of about 20 minutes in 11 days...and no computer either. Coming home and turning on the flat screen was a giant let down compared to the reality of what is out in a world of incredible beauty

A great trip to a great part of the west.

pbbob
07-02-2010, 06:58 PM
thanks for sharing! never been there.
Got a pic of the bike?

Birddog
07-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Didja stop at the house made of old embalming fluid bottles on the E side of Kootenai lake? The free ferry is pretty cool too. BTW, Dave lives N of Spokaloo, you likely passed by within 5 miles or so at the start of your trip.

Birddog

Louis
07-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Didja stop at the house made of old embalming fluid bottles on the E side of Kootenai lake? The free ferry is pretty cool too. BTW, Dave lives N of Spokaloo, you likely passed by within 5 miles or so at the start of your trip.

Dave's house is the one made of old tequila bottles :beer:

dave thompson
07-02-2010, 08:32 PM
Dave's house is the one made of old tequila bottles :beer:
Not finished yet but I'm working on it.

eddief
07-02-2010, 08:54 PM
both the tequilla ones at Dave's and the embalming ones on the lake.

did get to stop here to get butt off Brooks and into some soothing warm/hot water:

http://www.hotnaturally.com/

just got bike built back up and cleaned up. pic coming if you'd like.

Summer seemed fine in Spokane and environs. wish i knew how to do winter cause real estate is so reasonable there...compared to SF Bay Area.

eddief
07-02-2010, 09:39 PM
for those interested

TMB
07-02-2010, 10:00 PM
for those interested

My back yard.

eddief
07-06-2010, 05:43 PM
http://picasaweb.google.com/107231724174916923201/SelkirkBicycleTrip#

TMB
07-06-2010, 06:14 PM
Downtown Creston was busy that day.

The old Moyie didn't used to be tied up alongside like that - it was pointed out into the lake.

As kids we used to use the deck outside the wheelhouse as our diving board.

Boy did they ever clean the old girl up.

rwsaunders
07-08-2010, 12:48 AM
Look like a great trip, Eddie.