PDA

View Full Version : 60--58 cross frame?

Onno
07-02-2010, 07:56 AM
Does anyone know of a relatively inexpensive frame that comes in (or around) 60 c-c seat-tube, 58 c-c top-tube? Ideally it would be a cross and/or touring kind of frame (allowing for racks, fenders, and fatish tires)?

I've noticed that stock cross frames seem to have relatively stretched out top tubes. Why is that?

Chris
07-02-2010, 08:12 AM
I have a Trek XO that has roughly those dimensions, although it is a sloping top tube, but the effective top tube I think is listed as 57.8. Nice bike.

oldpotatoe
07-02-2010, 08:14 AM
Does anyone know of a relatively inexpensive frame that comes in (or around) 60 c-c seat-tube, 58 c-c top-tube? Ideally it would be a cross and/or touring kind of frame (allowing for racks, fenders, and fatish tires)?

I've noticed that stock cross frames seem to have relatively stretched out top tubes. Why is that?

http://gunnarbikes.com/site/bikes/cross-hairs

60 has a 58.5cm top tube. Well made, $800 for the frame.

Onno
07-02-2010, 08:33 AM
Actually, since both the Gunnar and the Trek are measured center to top, I think they are closer to square. In both of those, I'd probably need the 62, which would have a nearly 60 cm top tube.

John M
07-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Keep in mind that cross bikes generally have higher bottom brackets, longer forks, and fatter tires than road bikes, thus for a given seat tube length, the bike may be "taller" than a conventional road bike with the same length seat tube. Of course other factors such as seat tube angle (or setback), head tube length and the type of headset (integrated or conventional) among others affect the fit range as well. With all of the variations in top tube slope and no standard for measurement, nominal sizing has little to do with actual frame fit anymore. Select the frame based in its actual dimensions, not what the manufacturer calls the size.

Plum Hill
07-02-2010, 05:05 PM
What's inexpensive?

Thanks to a recommendation in these pages, I got a custon GURU with carbon fork for $1200. I also had pump peg and rack mounts installed. BB height was between standard 'cross and road.

Postion replicates my 55TT - 58ST Otrott, with a whopping 210mm integrated headtube.

Marinoni also makes custom 'cross bikes in the same price range, perhaps cheaper.

Happy camper here.

tuscanyswe
07-02-2010, 06:09 PM
Relative inexpensive? depends i guess..

But the measurments seem to be spot on for you and its a nice loooking frame and i believe they get good reviews.

http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f3/fs-2008-salsa-chili-con-crosso-55cm-actual-58cm-matching-alphaq-carbon-fork-15917.html

oldpotatoe
07-03-2010, 08:05 AM
Actually, since both the Gunnar and the Trek are measured center to top, I think they are closer to square. In both of those, I'd probably need the 62, which would have a nearly 60 cm top tube.

It doesn't really matter whether the seat tube is measured center to top or center to center...look at the top tube length and seat tube angle. The cross frames have a slightly sloping top tube anyway. If ya need a 58cm top tube..then the '60' is the frame for you if the seat tube angle is proper for your femur length.

rwsaunders
07-03-2010, 01:17 PM
Take a look at a Poprad...it's a good all purpose bike. You'll need to play with fenders and there are no rack mounts, though. I ride mine year round and it has decent road skills.