PDA

View Full Version : We met a True Strongman today on the road

avalonracing
07-01-2010, 08:36 PM
It was a perfect day here in Maryland... About 80ºF and low humidity. It was a hell of a change from 99ºF and high humidity like we had last week. On a day like today unless you have something that cannot be rescheduled you do what ever you have to do to get out on a ride.

My buddy, Mark and I went out about 10AM. Although it was the right weather for a century we decided to do our 40 mile loop in Howard County and save ourselves for the next 3 days of riding road and MTBing.

On a nice, shaded section of downhill I turned around to see someone coming up on us on their bike. We let the older gentleman catch up to us as we nodded and said hello. Because of the descent and a couple of corners we rode for a few minutes before we started talking.

The first thing that you couldn't miss about this guy was his helmet. It was a solid (no vents) piece of plastic that was closer to the shape of an Army helmet. But the thin plastic and milky white color made it look much more like a Tupperware bowl than a protective helmet. I was surprised to see such a weird piece of equipment on a man who was riding a carbon OCR Giant. His jersey was vintage. Just a plain blue cotton jersey that would have been mistaken for a T-Shirt had it not had the rear pockets and buttons. His shorts were lycra but they were almost turquoise in color and screamed early 90's.

As for the guy himself... He was older but he was fit. His calves were like carved melons. His back still had the V-shape and there was no spare tire or love handles to be seen. He was much more muscular than he was a thin cyclist.

Wondering if he was a racer from years ago I finally rode up next to the guy and said, "Either you ride a lot or you used to ride a hell of a lot". He said, "I'm sorry, my English is not that good. I do not understand" in a thick accent that I couldn't quite make out with the wind. I asked were he was from and he said that he was originally from Russia. I asked if he had been riding long and he said, "Not too ride much lately. I had kidney removed two months ago. April 26".

What the hell? My friend and I weren't jamming the hills or time-trialing but we were moving along and THIS guy had a kidney hacked out two months ago?

We talked a little more even though I was having a bit of trouble with his accent. He said that his name is Thomas and he had his operation a Suburban Hospital in Bethesda and that he worked with metal. He said that he lived in Olney (which by the way, was the opposite direction that we were headed so he was going to be out for a while... With one water bottle... but he seemed to know the roads quite well.)

I again inquired if he used to race. He said, "Race not for long time... About 55 years ago". What? May I ask how old you are? "I am 72 years old". What the hell?! This guy is rock hard, fit enough to hang with two also fit guys in their early 40's and had his kidney removed two months ago!!! I was floored. I knew he was older but maybe a tan 62, not a decade older than that, and definitely not for someone who just had major surgery.

We continued riding for a bit so my friend had time to ask Thomas if he was a Russian spy (nice, Mark... glad that he smiled after living through the cold war). Thomas' bike handling was great and his cadence was strong. This guy wasn't tired or slacking one bit. Before he turned off something else happened that I thought was amusing. I heard that familiar Nokia cell phone ring. Mark and I both have iPhones... Thomas reaches back into his jersey at speed. Whips out a phone his Nokia, flips it open and says "Hello". He has a conversation for 60 seconds and stows it away as deftly as he removed it without missing a single pedal stroke. Another mile down the road he said "I'm going dis way. Thank you for riding". Take care, Thomas, nice to meet you. Stay healthy.

Cycling... The greatest sport in the world and the closest thing we have to the fountain of youth.

-Robb

bironi
07-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Nice story.

Steve in SLO
07-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Very cool story.

I had a similar story from time gone by. While I was living in Pasadena, I was riding up Angeles Crest Hwy with a friend of mine, a fellow Cat 3 at the time. Both of us were good climbers in our late 20s and had never had anyone pass us up on this stretch of road. We were riding along at a comfortable pace and were surprised to hear "on your left!", but were more surprised when an old guy passed us at a good clip. We looked at each other and my first thought was "Sh^t! that guy must be 60!". We stepped it up a bit and caught his wheel. We were dying and he was just cruising. He asked us if we lived nearby and if we rode the highway much. We in turn asked him if he was local ("nope, from near Reno") and exchanged pleasantries ("I'm Bob"). I noticed he had a nice bike called a Del-something Santa. He then proceeded to tell us to take it easy and to ride away from us like we were anchored. It wasn't until a few days later that I figured out that had ridden with Greg LeMond's dad.

wc1934
07-01-2010, 09:08 PM
great post - He sounded like quite a character - probably has some amazing stories - don't know if riding will keep us forever young, but it is fun trying.

SoCalSteve
07-01-2010, 09:12 PM
Great story!

My wife and I have been on vacation all week in a rented house about a 100 miles North of where we live (in Ojai, if anyone cares).

Anyway, we have been cycling all week with a group of retired people ( who else can ride every morning at 8:30). I gotta tell you, they are amazing cyclists! Fast, steady, strong, great cycling etiquette, amazing pace lining skills and I don't think one of them is below 65 years of age!!!

Very inspiring. Something to look forward to when I retire. They are amazing!

BTW, if anyone is looking for a great cycling holiday destination, Ojai-Ventura is one hell of a place to cycle in and around. Mountains, lakes and beaches all on the same ride.

Steve in SLO
07-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Steve,
Have you been up Hwy 33 yet? Great ride. Also, you're not far from Gibraltar...

Louis
07-01-2010, 11:21 PM
Cool story Robb - thanks for taking the time to write it.

Something to look forward to - being able to ride whenever you like. Let's hope the body will still be willing.

Wilkinson4
07-01-2010, 11:51 PM
I rode with Bob Anderson of "Stretching" fame a few months back while on a 60 mile dirt road ride. He was on a Moots YBB and was very fit. Killed me downhills since I was on a road bike and I had a very hard time pulling him in. I also have a buddy out here who is 77 and still riding more than I do.

Mike

VTCaraco
07-02-2010, 12:23 AM
About 18 years ago, I was out for a pedal near Windham, NY and this old timer passes me on a climb. As a fairly fit guy with the classic early-20's ego, I was naive enough to think that there was NO way this guy could out ride me. But no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't keep up. Eventually we struck up a conversation and planned to meet for some rides. Next time out, he shows up in one of the many stars and stripes jerseys he had won as a national champion. Not only was it a pleasure to try to hold his wheel, the experience made for one heck of a life-lesson.

junkfood
07-02-2010, 07:50 AM
This story mad my day!

Jake

victoryfactory
07-02-2010, 09:15 AM
I hope to live (and ride) long enough for someone
to tell a story like these about me....

" I was out there on my Caad 50 when this fat old guy on a
50 year old bike with actual cable shifters and brakes rides up and ........"

It won't be long

VF

BumbleBeeDave
07-02-2010, 09:29 AM
I hope to live (and ride) long enough for someone
to tell a story like these about me....

" I was out there on my Caad 50 when this fat old guy on a
50 year old bike with actual cable shifters and brakes rides up and ........"

It won't be long

VF

. . . the first time I met Serotta Pete! :D ;)

BBD

johnnymossville
07-02-2010, 09:49 AM
I've run across some fit older guys out there in Howard County, but I don't think I've seen the white tupperware Russian yet.

I did ride a few miles with a guy on a beautiful serotta carbon/ti once out there though.

Great Story!

redir
07-02-2010, 10:02 AM
Nice story, did you ever try and find out who it was?

54ny77
07-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Funny story told to me by a buddy, who's friend was apparently doing the riding:

On a local short & steep climb (about a mile & a half or so, 6-7% gradient), the very fast local racer was ripping along, doing intervals or something up the hill.

Along comes some dude in a nondescript bike/jersey, riding one handed and talking on his cell phone, passes local guy like he's going backwards.

Turns out it was a certain Texan... :bike:

avalonracing
07-02-2010, 10:29 AM
Nice story, did you ever try and find out who it was?

I was going to Google "Russian Strongman in Tupperware Helmet" but I was afraid that it was just going to come back with bunch of fetish websites.

johnnymossville
07-02-2010, 10:54 AM
I'm sure it wasn't Abdujaparov, since he probably would've sent all three of you into the guard rails.

zap
07-02-2010, 01:08 PM
Good story.

Johnny-Abu will send you over the guardrail for even thinking he is a Russian.

merlinmurph
07-02-2010, 01:14 PM
Another mile down the road he said "I'm going dis way. Thank you for riding". Take care, Thomas, nice to meet you. Stay healthy.

OK, now tell us: How relieved were you that he turned off? ;)

avalonracing
07-02-2010, 01:37 PM
OK, now tell us: How relieved were you that he turned off? ;)

Funny you say that. I was getting concerned that he was going to follow us back to Catonsville where my friend lives and they I would have to ride with him back to Olney and then have to ride back to the Catonsville area extending my ride to 120 miles. It would have been a good day for it but it wasn't my plan.

BTW- My brother lives in Hopkinton on Lumber Road. If you see a 7 Series BMW behind you when you are out riding give him a wide berth.

johnnymossville
07-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Good story.

Johnny-Abu will send you over the guardrail for even thinking he is a Russian.

LOL!! I did think he was Russian, thanks for correcting me.

Peter P.
07-02-2010, 09:01 PM
Great story, avalon! Thanks for taking the time to retell it.

beungood
07-07-2010, 06:54 PM
Awesome post! I had a similiar experience bumping into an "Old Cat' On Serotta CDA. He pulls up while im checking my cue sheet, says Nice hors,where ya going? Looks at where I am going and says your in for a great ride minbd a little company? Real cool guy, and we rode on pretty fast and hilly, then he asks if I mind a little coaching, which I readily except in between yakking about life work military (he had a keen intrest) not a slow ride as we really put on the coals. This was around where the "Climb to the Clouds is ridden. We then started this really long brutal Climb and we are talking and he is giving me advice now and then and in a normal speaking voice, while I am forcing out 3 or 4 words at a time. It was about this time he says "I'm 65 and have atrial Fib I gotta take it easy ,YEAH HUH! I thought..humbling but awesome in the same time as I thought that If I keep working hard I will still be riding many years from now. What a hero this guy was, working raising a family riding like that and helping someone out. I recently swapped e-mails and he said I go through that area and think about how great a ride that was. "Ready to set something up and ride a few hills?...

I love these kinds of posts especially after a 97 degree sufferfest.. :)