PDA

View Full Version : track standing

flydhest
04-05-2005, 08:48 AM
So, the discussion of mirrors got me to looking in my book "The Art of Urban Cycling," by Robert Hurst.*

So he suggests that track standing is not useful for an urban cyclist and might be counterproductive. Drivers might be confused by it, poor track standing can cause you to inch into crosswalks or sidewalks, and it just might be annoying to box jockeys.

Thoughts from you all? When I'm on my fixed, my feet never touch the ground from my front step to the garage at work. On derailleur bikes, they might touch twice out of a dozen and a half lights, but I can easily track stand through a full traffic light roatation on any of my bikes.

Hurst suggests (rightly, I think) that the thing you can really say in favor of track standing is that it's fun.

*I find a lot of what he's written to be logical and thought provoking at times. I'm not sure I always agree but, as I've said before here, I think it's worth reading for any cyclist. He thinks mirrors are good for you, but that you still need to look behind you sometimes. The downside could be that relying on mirrors could lead drivers erroneously to think you're not paying attention, whereas looking back makes it clear that you're contemplating doing something.

csb
04-05-2005, 10:18 AM
first let me say i live in a city + secondly i am unable to track stand, although
i practice and am getting close. mostly i sit on my top tube, as
difficult as it is being so girlie sloped, and watch my friend chris as
he track stands into the sunset.

cars, i believe, are nervous around this balancing act. they seem to
stare with curiousity, yet give him (us) more space, not wanting to get
tooo close, i assume incase he were to fall and land on their hood... think
unicyclist.

control is generally a good thing, and this track standing shows
seemingly complete control of ones bicycle + body... good.

interesting side to this (at least to moi) _ chris said he learned to track
stand on a road bike, not a track bike which i had assumed. he told me
only pussies learn the OTHER way'round.

Smiley
04-05-2005, 10:33 AM
Fly , the circus is in town , have you been practicing for a gig with them . I know I'd pay to see an Ivy grad track standing with no helmet and Holy shorts on , we love you in a way the Jerk loves LegendTi :banana:

zap
04-05-2005, 10:35 AM
I'm not very good at it. Not enough practice as I only have one light before I'm in the country.

But I would vote in favor of continuing the practice. Drivers already hate you so I fail to see how a track stand would make it any worse.

weisan
04-05-2005, 10:46 AM
The downside could be that relying on mirrors could lead drivers erroneously to think you're not paying attention, whereas looking back makes it clear that you're contemplating doing something.

Of late, I have been employing the technique of "just-show-my-left-cheek" when I know traffic is coming from behind and guess what happened, the drivers will naturally respond by moving more to the left and give me a little bit more riding room.

Fly-man is giving good advice that we should look back more often, but occasionally, the act of turning your cheek is enough to create the driver-cyclist cooperation we need.

flydhest
04-05-2005, 10:49 AM
nice.

csb
I learned on my derailleur bike first, as well. It took a bit of time to transfer the skills, oddly, to my track bike. Once I did, however, it's much easier on the track bike. Getting used to not being able to backpedal to get the pedals in the prefered position was hard at first until I just started bunnyhopping.

Smiley,
I've got a big red nose and floppy shoes for the show as well.

zap,
my sentiments exactly: they're gonna be annoyed with me regardless of my actions, so I am liberated to do what I want.

CalfeeFly
04-05-2005, 11:04 AM
I ride in the city all the time. If the light is about to change I do my poor imitation of a track stand or just trying to stay balaanced until I'm ready to go. If I have a 2 or 3 minute light to wait through I'd much rather relax and maybe have a drink. If you find doing that for 3 minutes have fun.

My riding partner was a pro trials rider once ranked 3 in the country. He can hold a track stand like he is sitting in an easy chair. He doesn't bother either.

flydhest
04-05-2005, 11:15 AM
Calfee,

Interesting. I don't have any lights that are longer than a minute. I know this, not because I have a good internal clock, but because they have over the past couple years replaced the cross walks with cross walks with timers.

This change, of course, is great for a dumb cyclist like me, I can look two blocks ahead and know if I should just ease off because I'm not going to make it anyway, or speed up.

Having a drink isn't much of an issue--my commute is only a few miles.

Birddog
04-05-2005, 11:24 AM
I can look two blocks ahead and know if I should just ease off because I'm not going to make it anyway, or speed up.

Always the economist.

Birddog

bironi
04-05-2005, 11:54 AM
Something to pass the time commuting over more than 15 years. Just stay seated, and space out. A few years back I rode with a guy who could stand without his hands on the bar. To my surprise, I tried it, and it was pretty easy.

Kevan
04-05-2005, 12:36 PM
was working as a kickstand lobbyist when he wrote those negative aspects to cyclist grandstanding.

keno
04-05-2005, 12:46 PM
your track stand seminar held in my garage has got me well on my way to being able to do a track stand. Just a short while ago I returned from a 30 mile ride, and from the moment I got on my bike until the moment I returned to my garage from the ride and got off the bike my shoes never once left my feet.

I do not consider any of my previous attempts at a track stand resulting in a track plant as furthering the learning despite your encouragement.

keno

Sandy
04-05-2005, 12:48 PM
Kevan has a great deal of standing without even being on a bicycle. However, and this is a BIG however, his one night stands are quite awesome, indeed......... :) :D

Standing So Straight Straitjacket Sandy

Too Tall
04-05-2005, 12:54 PM
I ride through the city twice a day...never leave home without it. If I have to put a foot down in city traffic I feel more vulnerable...a good track stand is indispensible. Plus it gives the drivers something else to hate ;)

Kevan
04-05-2005, 12:54 PM
Hey, wait a minute here!!!

CalfeeFly
04-05-2005, 12:56 PM
A lot of the lights have multiple changes for left turns etc. Plus some intersections have 5 and 6 streets. That said it could just seem like 3 minutes.

Actually Bironi does what I often do...space out. It really is relaxing.

dehoopta
04-05-2005, 01:06 PM
I think it separates the men from the boys. i am unfortunately the later. I can do a pretty good imitation of a trackstand, which, as CalfreeFly said, is balancing myself for about 15-30 seconds. I always admired the guys who could do it. I say if you got it, flaunt it. Make the drivers wonder how the heck you do that.

Although my "trackstand" is pitiful, I haven't fallen in 15 years....until Jan 1st new years day ride when I fell not once but twice. After the first fall, I clicked out my left pedal. Of course I started to fall to the right side. I pulled so hard on the pedal (a 15 year old, 1st generation LOOK) that it broke.

I think its more fun than function now that we are no longer strapped in.

weisan
04-05-2005, 01:07 PM
Fly-pal, this is exactly what you need....and I am only half-jokin' ;)

A fixed-gear direct-drive machine and you can track stand for as long as you like and even flip direction on the standstill.

http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2005/apr/JacobKnable_2-1.jpg

bironi
04-05-2005, 01:21 PM
At a U.S. track championship, the crowd was entertained by a rider who would ride his track bike down the steep curve embankments with his rear wheel leading a graceful s-shaped path to the bottom of the track. He was called upon to distract the crowd while ambulances carted bodies away from multiple crashes during the women's points race.

flydhest
04-05-2005, 01:31 PM
weisan,

huh, is it lugged steel? If not, I'm not sure I'm interested :)

Question for other track standers, given bironi's first contribution:

Do you trackstand seated or standing? I'm usually standing, as I'm always going to accelerate (by definition) once I'm done trackstanding. I've done the no-hand thing standing up before. Now that freaks people out--myself included, unfortunately.

SPOKE
04-05-2005, 03:02 PM
track standing Fly! it's pretty cheap entertainment for you as well as the car drivers. i also think it's funny as he** when i fall over or better yet see someone else fall over while attempting a track stand.

Rapid Tourist
04-05-2005, 07:04 PM
Two of my goals in life are to trackstand fixed as well as my friend fly and to just plain ride fixed as well as his wife. I have a long way to go on both these fronts. :)

Sandy
04-05-2005, 07:25 PM
I have 2 other goals-

1. Having a smile half as nice as yours.
2. Being able to keep up with the Doctor or anyone up some damn hills.

Smiling Super Smiles,

:) ing Sandy

Spectrum Bob
04-05-2005, 08:03 PM
You guys are great. I really need to work on my track stands. The last time I tried was down town on a Sunday and a very attractive woman was crossing the street in front of me and I fell just as she was walking past me. She never looked just kept walking. That my friends, was the last time I tried. Maybe sometime Too Tall or Flydhest you could give me some help with my track stands.

Sandy
04-05-2005, 08:05 PM
I can stand on my head. Does that count?? :)

Upside Down,

Sandy

Too Tall
04-06-2005, 06:50 AM
Sure you want my help? Ask Doof, I fall off my trainer!

Kevan
04-06-2005, 07:29 AM
Have Sandy help you...

Why, just the idea of falling into his waiting arms will keep you balanced.

Sandy
04-06-2005, 07:49 AM
Now tell the truth. The last time I saw you on your bike, you jumped off and into my not so waiting arms. :)

Now carring arms in my arms,

Waiting Sandy

spiderman
04-07-2005, 10:07 AM
i came to a stop at an t-intersection
while a truck was approaching...
i was successful in my track stand
and was forced to hold postition longer
because the truck slowed, signaled
and then took off straight instead of turning...
...i can't decide whether or not he
intentionally made me wait
to see if i'd fall over
or get into his lane
for a nice 'pick-off' move!?!

flydhest
04-19-2005, 01:00 PM
two humorous track standing stories from yesterday.

On the way to work, I'm at a light and a guy in a convertible says, "nice bike!" I turned and smiled and said thank you and he says, "I have a CSi and a Legend Ti." I was sort of hoping for a trackstand compliment.

Then, I got home, was going to go in the garage, but the wife opens the garage door. So, I'm track standing in the alley and out comes my dog. My dog truly, truly misses me during the day and goes nuts each time I come home. She started jumping on me and licking me and the wife dared me to keep trackstanding. I'm pleased to report that I can keep my balance while a 40 pound dog is aggressively affectioning me. :D

Marron
04-19-2005, 01:45 PM
I'm firmly in the camp that considers a track stand a neccesary skill for urban riding. I acutally find it easier on a geared bike because you can pick you spot with greater ease; on a fixie you can do it anywhere, even downhill, but some positions are not that comfortable.

I have no idea why it would be safer to put your foot down. If you know how to do a proper track stand you're just standing there. You're more visible and if you can get a jump on any needed movement.