PDA

View Full Version : gone tubeless/gone native

3cb
06-30-2010, 12:27 PM
This morning's commute was my first ride tubeless. It was like going from briefs to boxers--it was liberating and it put a silly grin on my face. The good news is that the lower tire pressure meant embarrassing tumescence is a thing of the past.

Seriously, it may be entirely psychological, but the tire/road interface did feel more intimate or elemental. This was by no means scientific, since many variables changed: the rims, spokes, hubs as well as tires were all new to me.

I found hard cornering particularly responsive and gratifying.

John M
06-30-2010, 12:51 PM
What wheels/tires/size etc.. and what did you switch from?

Ray
06-30-2010, 12:59 PM
This morning's commute was my first ride tubeless. It was like going from briefs to boxers--it was liberating and it put a silly grin on my face. The good news is that the lower tire pressure meant embarrassing tumescence is a thing of the past.

Seriously, it may be entirely psychological, but the tire/road interface did feel more intimate or elemental. This was by no means scientific, since many variables changed: the rims, spokes, hubs as well as tires were all new to me.

There are those who will tell you that tubeless have no real advantage over clinchers. They may or may not be right based on technical analysis. I say trust your ass and feet and the rest of your senses.

I like 'em a lot too.

-Ray

3cb
06-30-2010, 01:16 PM
I was using Stan's alpha 340s with hutchinson intensives (25mm @ 85 psi), CK hubs and super comp spokes.

The previous set-up was White Industry hubs with DT 1.1 rims. Not sure of the spoke gauge, but same 32 spoke count. Tires were conti grand prix 4 season (28mm @ 95 to 105 psi).

stephenmarklay
06-30-2010, 09:13 PM
I have some DA 7850 weighting for me to test them out. Busy right now but should be fun.

rustychisel
07-01-2010, 01:54 AM
I have some DA 7850 weighting for me to test them out. Busy right now but should be fun.

"waiting".

Thank you, you may proceed to check in.

jabrobbins
07-01-2010, 08:27 AM
How did you get the rims? I have been waiting for them to pop up on Stan's website but haven't seen them yet. I've been running Mavic Ksyriums converted and love them. I plan to rebuild a couple of wheel sets with new Stan's rims.

oldpotatoe
07-01-2010, 09:16 AM
How did you get the rims? I have been waiting for them to pop up on Stan's website but haven't seen them yet. I've been running Mavic Ksyriums converted and love them. I plan to rebuild a couple of wheel sets with new Stan's rims.

Careful with the tension. They do not like to be overtensioned. Nipple pull thru.

jblande
07-01-2010, 09:34 AM
for the rims check out www.wheelbuilder.com

seen em there.

3cb
07-01-2010, 10:04 AM
I too was checking the website, but it turns out notubes has them in stock.

Regarding overtensioning the rims, I think I already blew it on that front. This is the first set of wheels I ever built and I made every classical error, and then some--like trying to dish the rear wheel by tightening the DS. That caused overtensioned spokes. One of the spoke holes now has a little dimple around the circumference...its only a matter of time now.

slowandsteady
07-01-2010, 10:17 AM
LOVE my 7850CL's

Pete Serotta
07-02-2010, 07:37 AM
:) :) PETE

CNY rider
07-02-2010, 07:55 AM
I was using Stan's alpha 340s with hutchinson intensives (25mm @ 85 psi), CK hubs and super comp spokes.

The previous set-up was White Industry hubs with DT 1.1 rims. Not sure of the spoke gauge, but same 32 spoke count. Tires were conti grand prix 4 season (28mm @ 95 to 105 psi).

I have two similar set-ups: Legend has Shimano tubeless with the Hutchinsons.
Mariposa has Campy hubs/Ambrosio rims and 700X28 Conti GP 4 Seasons.

There's a tremendous difference in the road feel between the two. The Contis are not a particularly supple tire but they are tough, and I ride the Mariposa on my commute where I really want to avoid flatting. There are certainly more supple clinchers with better road feel, like the Michelin PR's but I still don't think they are as good as the tubeless set-up.