PDA

View Full Version : bum knee...

Dave
06-30-2010, 09:58 AM
I've had two surgeries on my left knee, to repair torn meniscus. The last was back in '06. My knee ached quite a bit this winter, but I just took Advil or Aleve and tried to ignore it. A couple of weeks ago, the knee got really stiff and swelled a little after my ride. I went to my orthopedic surgeon, got an MRI and received the bad news that I'm looking at a future knee replacement (and I just turned 57). I've got no cartilage left on the inside part of the joint. To keep me going for a few more years, I started supartz treatment and was prescribed a knee brace that's supposed to push on the outside of the knee in an attempt to open a little gap between the bones and use the cartilage that remains on the outside part of the joint. I can't imagine being able to ride with a knee brace, but that was suggested. I'll get the brace next week and try it, but I'm doubtful.

http://global.smith-nephew.com/us/patients/ABOUT_SUPARTZ_15075.htm

TAW
06-30-2010, 10:19 AM
Sorry to hear that. My father in law has had 2 knee replacements and done well, mostly because he's been diligent about the rehab. Is there a target date for the proposed surgery?

AngryScientist
06-30-2010, 10:53 AM
sorry to hear about that Dave. are those injections (Synvisc) a possibility, i've heard quite a few success stories about the stuff, including pcad from the other side.

Clearly i'm no doctor, and this must be case specific, but just a thought. ??

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/treatment/a/synvisc.htm

ultratoad
06-30-2010, 11:03 AM
Long story short-- I've had 3 surgeries on my right knee and have no remaining cartilage, my anterior cruciate ligament is also gone. To make matters even worse, I have a couple of years on you. I also have bouts of frustration like youself. Doctors ditto.

The answer for me: I spent time and money on the perfect pedal stroke, shoe, and cleat setup. I have been riding a minimum of 100 miles a week for years. If I don't get stupid on climbs-- all is good. My doctor says bikes are good (low impact) and spinning will keep the arthritis at bay (which replaces the cartilage). I know a guy that ride well with knee replacements, but also says-- don't do it until all else fails.

I'll probably be sorry that I said this, but my knee has been relatively pain/swelling free for about a year. Don't give up hope-- in fact, mine is better and stronger than it was a year ago....

Dave
06-30-2010, 11:32 AM
Synvisc an injectable medication called hyaluronan. Injectable hyaluronan is often referred to by its most commonly known brand name of "Synvisc." Other brand names of hyaluronan include Orthovisc, Euflexxa, and Supartz.

I'm getting the Supartz brand.

I've got no surgery planned, since the idea is to use alternative treatments until I get older. I'm going to start building my retirement home next spring, so cycling will take a back seat to that project for most of two seasons. I hope to be the general contractor and do some of the work, where it makes sense. I won't be doing any of the back breaking work, maybe some wiring, plumbing, tiling, painting and finish carpentry.

So far, all I have is a lot - #7 on Gitalong Road (stupid name for a road).

http://www.betsyburns.com/listings/backbonemeadows/backbonemeadows.html

mnoble485
06-30-2010, 03:03 PM
Dave,

Sounds like you are where I was. I just turned 61 (how is that possible?) and have surgery set up for mid July. My Ortho MD told me I would know when the time was right. I am replacing the right knee now and hopefully the left will last. I am bone on bone and if you haven't tried that you are missing out.

I will post after the operation and give a blow by blow.

Mike

MattTuck
06-30-2010, 03:10 PM
Have you tried glucosamine chondroitin? Not sure if it will help in your case. I've heard some people say they've had good success with it.

Also, the procedures being developed today provide for less dramatic surgery. Things like partial knee, cartilage culturing, etc.

IF (big if) you could hold out longer, you may be able to take advantage of new procedures.

drewski
06-30-2010, 03:29 PM
I know this is controversial. But hear me out. I have a condition
that affects me which is known as TMS. Its a type of psycho sematic
pain that can affect the body but does not result in tissue pain.

I know it is sounds off the wall but there it is has been proven
by Dr. John Sarno that somatic pain can be created by a person's
mind. If you want to discuss this off line please feel free to reach out to me.

I have pain in my leg that comes and goes with stress level in my family
and work life. I am able to make it go away once I start to get to the
bottom of something that is bothering me. Usually it takes re-reading
a few chapters of the Sarno book (Healing back pain) and writing
essays. The bottom line is that you have really believe the pain
in your body can be manufactured by emotional strain on the brain.
If you believe this then you can heal your self very quickly.
The brain is very powerful.

TMS diagnosis is used by Dr Andrew Weil graduate of Harvard, Dr. Mehmet Oz professor surgery of Columbia University. Before having surgery don't rule it out and be aware that not all doctors are in medicine to help people.
Some are in it for the $$$$. According to an article I read if more
persons where to investigate the possibility of a correlation between
health and TMS many physical therapists and doctors would be out of business.

The reason most doctors don't use this diagnosis is there is a great
of bias toward integrating the mind and the body in western medicine.

Good luck with your healing.

cmg
06-30-2010, 03:44 PM
i've had luck with glucosamine chondroitin and vitamin d. it has aleviated/posponed the pain. someday in the near future i'll have my knee scraped but not now.

Dave
06-30-2010, 04:17 PM
I've been using glucosamine/chondroitin for abut 10 years. It might have slowed down the progression of my disease, but it was no cure.

The pain in my left knee isn't in my head and neither is the swelling, stiffness and lost range of motion. The X-rays and MRI prove that. I can bend my right knee back and touch my butt with my heel. The left knee is about a foot short of that range.

I agree that stress can trigger all sort of ailments. I've got a bunch of other, more minor problems - a spinal problem that makes my elbow hurt and fingers go numb, a trigger finger, a chronic muscle ache in my lower left side, that's aggrevated when crouching to work on my bike and other similar activities. I wear orthotics due to tendon issues in my feet. Getting old sucks.

jmeloy
06-30-2010, 05:44 PM
I've been humming their new tune "Growing Old is Getting Old". So very true!!!!!