PDA

View Full Version : Tegaderm review (warning skateboarding and road rash content)

Keith A
06-29-2010, 10:42 AM
This past weekend was my high school reunion and we went a few days early to help out our parents with some things they needed to do and have a little fun while we were there. So like any mature and responsible adult, this meant bringing out longboards to bomb some of the hills that are in this town :D

My youngest daughter and I headed out early Friday morning (which was the same day as the first event for our reunion) to do some pavement surfing. Everything was going great...we went to the first hill to warm-up, adjust our boards and get used to riding the hills. We moved onto the bigger and longer hill and were enjoying ourselves...except for the walks back up the hill along with the heat and humidity. After several runs, we decided to take some video and this was my first attempt at riding and videoing at the same time. The first run went fine, except my daughter was a little to far in front of me so we tried it again...but this time I started closer to her.

We started down the hill and my distance behind was just right, however she started carving back and forth which meant that I started catching up to her. Then she moved all the way to the left of the road where I was and I had no where to go since the curb was the vertical concrete type...so we went down while riding in the low 20's mph. She was able to run it out a little and then roll, but I went down hard with two boards under my feet and a camera in my hands.

I knew right away from the pain that it wasn't good. I had some pretty good chunks of skin removed from my knees, elbows, and hand...but thankfully, nothing was broken and more importantly, my daughter only had some minor scraps. It was so hard to get down the rest of the hill and drive home, I really thought I was going to pass out several times. I felt really nauseated from the pain and heat, but somehow managed to make it back to my mom's house.

Once we got there, I started cleaning up the wounds which is always such an enjoyable experience :eek: I knew about Tegaderm (http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/SH/SkinHealth/products/catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECFTDQG2O7_nid=8HTM693HKFbeB 385P3RT67gl) and figured this would be the perfect time to try it out. It took some effort to find a store that carried it and the stuff isn't cheap, but I'll never treat serious road rash any other way...this stuff is great. It is breathable and allows the injured areas to stay moist instead of drying up. It is also very flexible which makes it so much more comfortable. It is also waterproof, so you can shower without the wound getting wet.

The only downside to using this is that it doesn't absorb any fluid, so the blood and fluids will seep out the edges and you have to cover this with something that can absorb it. I also discovered today, that riding with this might not be the best idea. In one aspect it worked great since I could comfortably pedal, even though I have a patch of this over my knee. But by the time I got to work, there was a pool of sweat under the Tegaderm patches and I had to drain this out.

I was able to make it to my high school reunion, but I would have preferred to have been laying on the coach whining about my injuries :rolleyes: Here's a picture of my elbow with the Tegarderm -- this was taken on the fourth day from the date of injury.

Unfortunately, I don't have the video from the crash run since our camera was destroyed in the crash :crap:

Finally, I found this website (http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/features/roadrash.shtml) to be very helpful in knowing how to treat the wounds. They use a product called 2nd Skin which seems similar to Tegadarm.

William
06-29-2010, 10:55 AM
Keith,

Very sorry to hear that you both went down…but I’m very happy that injuries weren’t more serious. I’ve got the whole family longboarding now and so far…knock on wood….no one has a hard crash yet. That being said I’ll commit the Tegaderm to long term memory just in case.

I won’t comment on pads since I don’t tend to wear them either…other than a lid and gloves.

William

PS: As an aside, have you tried a Big Stick?

cmg
06-29-2010, 11:01 AM
in 4 or 5 days you'll be saying what road rash. i'd wrap that with something that doesn't stick to help hold the bandage in in place.

Keith A
06-29-2010, 11:13 AM
Thanks William. Obviously, I wasn't wearing pads either :crap: but did have on a helmet. However, I do think I will get some for the next time we bomb any hills. I don't like wearing them, but if I would have had pads on my knees & elbows, along with some gloves -- I would have walked away only with a slightly banged up board, destroyed camera and a few minor scrapes.

PS: As an aside, have you tried a Big Stick?Never heard of it. But we did just by a Gravity Makai and this is the best board I've ridden so far...just love it! The only problem is that my daughter won't let me ride it :D

Now we want to pick up another drop through, so we can both have one. I may just buy another Makai, but I'm looking at the Kalai and maybe some other options as well.

http://www.gravityboard.com/support/gstore/boards/dc41_m_2010/dc41-m-fp.jpg
http://www.gravityboard.com/support/gstore/boards/dc41_m_2010/dc41-m-fb.jpghttp://www.gravityboard.com/support/gstore/boards/dc41_m_2010/dc41-m-ft.jpghttp://www.gravityboard.com/support/gstore/boards/dc41_m_2010/dc41-m_fs.jpg

William
06-29-2010, 12:20 PM
I hear you, I don't like wearing pads either but I'm seriously contemplating getting some.

That Gravity Makai looks nice! I do like their decks. Ride report when you get a chance please. :)

The Big Stick I mentioned is this...

http://kahunacreations.com/bigstick.html

I made one for myself. I doesn't look as swank as "The" Big Stick, but it works great. I tried it out since it looked like a great upper body and core work out...and it is. Ok, I may look a little dorky doing it, but it's fun and it's really hitting the upper bod.....just keep it away from the wheels. ;)

http://bauergriffinonline.com/bfm_gallery/2009/04/matt%20m/post_image/post_image-90424P2_MCCONAUGHEY_B-GR_01.JPG

My latest addition is a Clutch Hoodwalker. 50" of dancing fun with a kick on each end.

William

deechee
06-29-2010, 01:43 PM
tegaderm definitely rocks.

I pick it up on sale. I'm still careful since its leaky, the main advantage I find with it is that I think I heal faster, and it reduces scarring by quite a bit. I have one scar that healed cleanly up to where the tegaderm covered, and the rest is still there. haha.

I dunno how you do hills on skateboards. I saw some kid in Gatineau park on Sunday (Ottawa) going downhill and sure enough, he wiped out in front of my gf and I, and crashed on his leg, the only part of his body which wasn't padded... (he had elbow pads and a full face helmet).

William
06-29-2010, 02:30 PM
tegaderm definitely rocks.

I dunno how you do hills on skateboards. I saw some kid in Gatineau park on Sunday (Ottawa) going downhill and sure enough, he wiped out in front of my gf and I, and crashed on his leg, the only part of his body which wasn't padded... (he had elbow pads and a full face helmet).

It's a given (well, maybe more of an unwritten rule). At some point in time you will crash while someone is watching. The goal is to do it with style. :rolleyes: ;) :)

William

Keith A
06-29-2010, 02:49 PM
...I'm still careful since its leaky, the main advantage I find with it is that I think I heal faster, and it reduces scarring by quite a bit. I have one scar that healed cleanly up to where the tegaderm covered, and the rest is still there. haha...I spoke to an ER doc (actually director of the ERs at three hospitals in New Jersey) at my high school reunion and he said that Tegaderm was the best method for healing road rash and burns. He also stated that the healing process was indeed faster with less scarring...just as deechee has experienced.

To go along with Williams comments about falling on a skateboard, the website I referenced in my original post made this comment "There are two types of cyclists: The kind that have fallen and the kind that will." In my experience, both William's unwritten rule and this statement are true...that is if you spend any amount of time in either sport. I know that I have taken my share of spills on both of these multi-wheel machines.

Edit: William -- I'll do a review of the Makai when I have a few exta minutes.

Mr. Squirrel
06-30-2010, 07:31 AM
very pretty and colorful wheels. do they make them with quick releases?

mr. squirrel

William
07-01-2010, 05:11 AM
very pretty and colorful wheels. do they make them with quick releases?

mr. squirrel

You like to gamble? Eventually, yer gonna lose. :butt:

http://www.wildwestland.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/ye-varmint-poker-playing-cowboy-squirrel.jpg

William

rugbysecondrow
07-01-2010, 05:54 AM
I

To go along with Williams comments about falling on a skateboard, the website I referenced in my original post made this comment "There are two types of cyclists: The kind that have fallen and the kind that will." In my experience, both William's unwritten rule and this statement are true...that is if you spend any amount of time in either sport. I know that I have taken my share of spills on both of these multi-wheel machines.

Edit: William -- I'll do a review of the Makai when I have a few exta minutes.

A quote a paramedic told my friend on the scene after a bike crash, "You are not a cowboy unless you have been bucked from your horse". My wife doesn't like hearing this, but some things are inevitable, it is just to what degree.

Glad you are doing well.

Keith A
07-02-2010, 09:25 AM
That Gravity Makai looks nice! I do like their decks. Ride report when you get a chance please. :)Here's my daughter's review of the Makai...

With the stock setup of Randals and Gravity Hi-Grade wheels this board turns like no other board I've ridden. The length of the board, concave, and flexibility all balance out perfectly to make a smooth riding board. It’s a really good quality board considering Gravity makes awesome boards and it’s not even their higher end drop carve (Kalai). Based on my weight, which is just less than 100lbs, it’s the first board I’ve ridden that flexes great for me. I’ve read many reviews about this board and other’s say it flexes great, and is similar to the flex on the Flex 1 Loaded Dervish.

johnnymossville
07-02-2010, 10:04 AM
sorry to hear about your crash. Nice boards though!

The pic of the road rash brought back memories of the crash I had as a kid skateboarding down a steep hill to church one Sunday morning.

My dress shirt was about torn off, but I headed to church anyway, bleeding shoulder, elbows, knees and hands. Almost passed out while sitting in church. The silver lining to the story was that a friend's cute sister noticed my suffering and took me into a room off the side of the church and patched me up. Darn she was cute.

I still have the scars to show for that day.