PDA

View Full Version : rapha or assos ?

AngryScientist
06-29-2010, 10:12 AM
i'm treating myself to a new nice pair of bibs.

looking at these two specifically. any words of wisdom??

also, are the sizes of these two brands pretty traditional?

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bikes/product-apparel/2010-assos-f.i.-uno-s5-bib-shorts-4748.159.0.html

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bikes/product-apparel/2010-rapha-team-issue-bib-shorts-7391.1916.0.html

Charles M
06-29-2010, 10:15 AM
neither...

Demarchi, Castelli, Pearl, Capo have bibs that compete with Assos.

Rapha is nice, but the single most "attractive" feature is the cost. I don't think the performance of their kit is among the top couple of brands and simply not worth the money.

AngryScientist
06-29-2010, 10:16 AM
neither...

i'll gladly expand my search horizons - which then?

godfrey1112000
06-29-2010, 10:18 AM
both are great,

if you size is a euro fit then you will be fine,

I personally find that a Capoforma, PI and other american cuts bibbs
are a little roomier, the same size in an Assos might be a little snug but just look at the sizing chart an buy according to their fit

I have four pairs of Assos, they are great, the knickers and bibb pants are great in fall and winter

fourflys
06-29-2010, 10:26 AM
i'll gladly expand my search horizons - which then?

well, this might open a whole can o' worms, but...

My LBS here in SoCal has been a Assos dealer for a LONG time and the last year or so started carrying Hincapie as well... The manager was touting how good the Hincapie stuff compares to Assos for half the price... I can't say how they compare, but I can say the Hincapie stuff is COMFORTABLE! I love the fabric they use and the bottoms of the legs are great!

Anyway, not sure how much this will help but there's my .02...

Chris

Birddog
06-29-2010, 11:07 AM
I disagree a little with Pez. I have Rapha bibs and they are my goto for long rides (75 miles or more). The fit is like a US brand. I also have some Castelli Body Paint, the verdict isn't entirely in but so far they are for intermediate rides in our hot weather. They seem to get a little hot after awhile as they are very tight. The fit is on the Euro smallish side. I don't think I'd pay full retail for either brand though. I got the Raphas for about $150 and the Body Paint for $170. The Raphas outperform every bib I've had in the past 10 years including some older top line Assos and Giordana.

djg
06-29-2010, 11:20 AM
I've never bought any Rapha stuff.

Most of my kit is not Assos either (Castelli, DeMarchi, one pair o'descente, and whatever the heck the team is getting this year), but I'll say my few experiences with Assos have been pretty stellar. I have an old pair of Evo Campianissimo bibs that have held up better than any other piece of kit I've ever had. This spring, in a *** moment, I sprung for a pair of Assos bib-knickers when CC was advertising a blow-out sale (still not cheap, but considerably more down to earth). Only wore them twice before it got too warm, but I have to say that the dang things seem shockingly nice.

Ozz
06-29-2010, 11:24 AM
wait for Serotta Sport to start rolling out the Etxe Ondo stuff..... :p

marques
06-29-2010, 11:30 AM
I have always thought about getting some assos uno bibs. Though from the feedback of people that I know that have them, the one thing they all say is that they are a tight race cut. They swear by them, but said they're not for everyone. Standing really has you feel the straps digging into you. I do not race so I decided to go for something else.

Having a pair of Giordana silverline's, and loving them; I went up a knotch and bought a pair of Giordana laser bibs. Amazing!

Also, I crashed last weekend. Broken collar bone and some crazy road rash. Laser Bibs held up fine, just a small scuff.

I know that the competitive cyclist bibs are silverline's. The lasers fabric compresses better.

Good Luck!

jlwdm
06-29-2010, 11:53 AM
I like both the Assos Uno and the Rapha and my Capo. I do wear one size smaller in the Rapha.

I find the Assos straps to be good. The size chart for Assos bibs is based on height.

Jeff

blschaefer1
06-29-2010, 12:04 PM
I have both of the above pairs (Assos S5 Uno and Rapha). The Rapha's I have are not the team issue, but I believe they are identical.

Of the two, I clearly prefer the Rapha's. The braces are made of a softer more stretchy material, and the material in the legs is less binding, for me at least. Chamois is virstually the same. Rapha has a small pocket in the back, which is a nice add. The Rapha's just seem to 'disappear' while on the bike, which is as good as it gets in my book.

As a long time Assos guy, I am now a convert.

FWIW, Rapha size Med. roughly equals Assos size L.

TMB
06-29-2010, 12:28 PM
I have never used Assos.

I have the top line PI stuff.

I have Exte Ondo

I have Rapha.

I can't stand the PI stuff anymore, the Exte Ondo is good.

The Rapha is wonderful.

As said above, they just disappear and you don't even know you're wearing them.

Especially for long rides - Rapha for me.

AngryScientist
06-29-2010, 01:29 PM
thanks for all the feedback guys.

i think i'm going to spring for the rapha bibs, sounds like they are fantastic, and based on the responses, the only downside might be the price, not the quality. i can take that hit on a single pair.

i'll report back when i break em in.

pdmtong
06-29-2010, 02:50 PM
angry
the best deal on the rapha bibs is when they are included in one of the bundles. I have a pair of the rapha bibs and like them very much. The pad is thicker than on my capo, mavic, hincapie and pearl but once on the bike it just disappears without any diaper feeling. It's the bib I wear 90% of the time. One of the threads came loose once, I sent it back and it was re-sewn/repaired no charge. Customer service is outstanding

if you are unsure the size, order two sizes. You can easily return the wrong one to rapha portland and get the return postage credited.

FWIW the rapha cycling caps work GREAT in winter. That schoeller material is a very nice techncial fabric.

Since it's a flat rate shipping fee, think about anything else you might want to add to your order......

gearguywb
06-29-2010, 02:57 PM
I have both Assos and Rapha bibs as well. Like them both but the Assos fit a bit tighter, the Rapha a bit more comfortable. Flip a coin. Now that I have both I would buy the one that I could get reasonably (yeah, I know) priced.

nahtnoj
06-29-2010, 02:58 PM
Don't buy that. Buy what I like. Trust me.

I wear PI to commute, Giordana for 2-3 hours, Assos for long rides.

CC says that Rapha bibs are the Assos Mille pad with softer fabric all around. Don't see how you could go wrong.

Lionel
06-30-2010, 07:25 AM
I did not like the Rapha bib and returned it. I thought the chamois was too big.

avalonracing
06-30-2010, 07:35 AM
If a start a company and sell $675. bibs I hope I can count on the support of everyone here. I mean they are going to have to be amazing for that price. Right? And oh, we'll be selling black jerseys for just shy of $1K but they'll have a metallic pink stripe to let everyone know that you bought the best. ;)

Mr. Squirrel
06-30-2010, 07:43 AM
they both look like nice nut holders. will they trade for wheels?

mr. squirrel

McQueen
06-30-2010, 07:44 AM
If a start a company and sell $675. bibs I hope I can count on the support of everyone here. I mean they are going to have to be amazing for that price right. And oh, we'll be selling black jerseys for just shy of $1K but they'll have a metallic pink stripe to let everyone know that you bought the best. ;)

Are you going to collaborate with Prada for some sweet $500 race gloves? I'm in.

pdmtong
06-30-2010, 10:32 AM
rapha is expensive, but doesn't need to be so.

buy on sale or in the bundle, with a coupon, for the best 'deal"

- bibs - work great, all day comfort
- socks - nothing special here, just bought to match kit
- base layers - work great up to low 80's, then its time for craft
- classic jersey - great piece, but too heavy above 75d for me
- lw jersey - great piece for 70-95d. can live with the bellows pocket
- lw classic jacket. PERFECT weight for norcal winter on all but the very coldest of days.
- long sleeve jersey. this piece works great in the winter and somehow is warmer and blocks wind better than my campy or pearl long sleeves\
- cycling cap - oddly, these wick and work better than std cotton ones. the schoeller fabric really performs

jblande
06-30-2010, 11:10 AM
I like rapha items a lot but the recent Paul Smith Gloves for $245 really blew my mind.

I think the top of the line bibs from a number of companies are almost as good as assos.

If you can get the best at a price you can afford, why not.

The question is really, do you need the best when it comes to bibs.

blschaefer1
06-30-2010, 12:09 PM
The Rapha bibs retail for $210. I picked up two pairs for $165 using a coupon from Competitive Cyclist.

While certainly not cheap, this is semi-mid-range for bibs. Checking out the Competitive Cycling website, there are more costly bibs from many mfg's, including Castelli, Gore, Giordana, PI, Campy, Capo, and of course Assos.

I understand that some of Raphas other items could be considered 'elite-ist', but the bibs provide a decent price/value in terms of quality, my opinion.

In an age where $10,000 bikes are not uncommon, ~$200 for a great set of bibs is within reason imho.

pdmtong
06-30-2010, 12:19 PM
In an age where $10,000 bikes are not uncommon, skimping on comfort in terms of bibs just makes no sense to me.....

it's taken me awhile to get to this point too, but yes often the "better" stuff reallyis "better". ergo2's from avispa 2 years ago. un-freaking believable. more than half off. giro ionos on closeout...bnib $110. there are deals to be had.

BCS
06-30-2010, 12:47 PM
it's taken me awhile to get to this point too, but yes often the "better" stuff reallyis "better".
+1, especially when comfort is at stake. This is not to say that cheap bibs will be uncomfortable but if expensive ones feel best, buy them happily. For what it's worth, I like both Assos with the Mille chamois and Giordana Forma Red.

Birddog
06-30-2010, 01:32 PM
I understand that some of Raphas other items could be considered 'elite-ist', but the bibs provide a decent price/value in terms of quality, my opinion.
Amen Brother. Rapha bibs are well designed and thought out as well. To the best of my knowledge, they only make two styles, the regular bibs and the team issues. There may be no difference tween the two other than graphics, I don't know for sure. The point is, they don't confuse you with a plethora of models, pads, and price points, and there is something to be said for that.
Birddog

bluesea
06-30-2010, 07:01 PM
I'm the type that for better or for worse, when something works I stick with it. The F.I. 13 S2 bibs worked well enough to end further experimentation. I'm satisfied enough to give the S5 version the benefit of doubt, and see where that goes.

JeffS
06-30-2010, 10:24 PM
Sounds like you've made your decision, but if you're going to buy Assos you can save a considerable amount buying from overseas.

I don't like being the middle-aged guy in Assos. If I could de-brand them I would. They're the most comfortable thing I've ever had on though. They also hold up better than anything else I've worn. Over the life of the garment, that helps reduce the TCO.

Climb01742
07-01-2010, 05:39 AM
rapha bibs have worked very well for me.

whforrest
07-01-2010, 06:33 PM
I have tried all the newer assos bib lines. i think the assos uno is the most comfortable and durable of them all. i am curious to try the rapha bibs based on prior reviews. but i can't go wrong with the black uno bibs with the assos logo. it looks sharp all around

jlwdm
07-01-2010, 06:58 PM
I like the Assos Uno also and you can get them at good prices so they are cheaper than the Rapha.

The Rapha are a much lighter weight material. I like them both - great bibs.

Jeff

AngryScientist
07-12-2010, 10:03 AM
just wanted to update:

rode a quick 80 HOT miles yesterday morning in my new rapha team bibs - verdict: they are excellent. fit is great and the chamois are ultra comfortable and wicked moisture away well for a very hot ride.

highly recommend!

bob the nailer
07-12-2010, 06:33 PM
never owned rapha but Castelli Body Paint kicks assos rear.

TMB
07-12-2010, 06:41 PM
it's taken me awhile to get to this point too, but yes often the "better" stuff reallyis "better". ergo2's from avispa 2 years ago. un-freaking believable. more than half off. giro ionos on closeout...bnib $110. there are deals to be had.

Agreed.

I will be first in line every time he does one of these.

Every time.

TMB
07-12-2010, 06:42 PM
just wanted to update:

rode a quick 80 HOT miles yesterday morning in my new rapha team bibs - verdict: they are excellent. fit is great and the chamois are ultra comfortable and wicked moisture away well for a very hot ride.

highly recommend!

There are some of us who wold like to take this opportunity to say ...........

We told you so! :beer:

Derailer
07-16-2010, 03:36 PM
I'm gonna weigh in. I'm slow, don't ride all that much, and am about 35 pounds off my "racing weight," so, please, take this with a grain of salt.

I have 1 set of Assos kit (the low end stuff), and 1 set of Rapha kit. I find the Rapha kit -- especially the bibs -- to be much more comfortable. For reasons that may be unique to my physiology, the Assos chamois bunches up in weird places and the bib straps move around a lot. The bunching of the chamois is very irritating and leads to poor positioning on the bike. The moving straps causes the dreaded nipple chafe, which I would not wish on my worst enemy.

jlwdm
07-16-2010, 04:45 PM
We can talk about the best bibs all day long, but as you point out they have to fit your body. Just like a bike has to fit.

In Assos I just use the Uno and think they are great.

Jeff

goblue
07-16-2010, 05:59 PM
Assos Uno over my Capos/Descent/Castelli...hands down...no comparison. I don't even think about my butt and I swear the ASSOS "help" me pedal.