PDA

View Full Version : gluing tubies for fun and profit.

thwart
06-28-2010, 08:46 PM
Seems a little high...

http://madison.craigslist.org/bik/1815399513.html

Enough to make you want to ride clinchers.

sokyroadie
06-28-2010, 08:57 PM
I rode tubulars for 20+ years ( late 70's - late 90's)- sometimes I glued them, sometimes I had a LBS glue them usually $4.00 - $5.00 a tire including glue. I basically quit riding for several years and when I started back in 2005, I still had only tubular rims - went to a closer shop, bought the tires from them and went back to pick them up - $40.00 per tire plus glue, I about had a stroke.

That was the end of my tubular riding.

Jeff

rockdude
06-28-2010, 09:48 PM
Between $70-$80 is retail around here. I glue my own.

Wilkinson4
06-28-2010, 09:52 PM
OMG!!! But, I would pay that to have someone stretch on Challenge Parigi Roubaix tires on my Torelli Master rims!!! Blood fingers!!!

mIKE

Auk
06-28-2010, 09:58 PM
If you're not doing your own, you are missing out on a key ability that you need to ride tubbies. If you don't know how, have someone to show you. Let them do the first tire and then you do the second. It's a skill set that is as important as knowing how to change a tube on a clincher wheeset, and just about as difficult.

stephenmarklay
06-28-2010, 10:54 PM
I sold my tubular zipps but would have paid to have a real expert glue them. I was happy with my gluing but they were not perfect in that I had a bit of a hop at the valve stem and they were just not that great on the rollers or trainer. on the road they were fine though. Not sure I will ever go back.

gone
06-29-2010, 12:52 AM
I watched a "mechanic" in a bike shop glue a tubular on a new rim. He ran a bead of glue down the entire middle of the rim, rotated it once spreading with his finger, put on the tire, inflated it and went on to his next job.

I would never ride a tubular glued by someone else. I can see myself bombing down a hill at 40+ MPH with a hard right hander at the bottom and having that memory pop into my head.

I may not do it fast, there might be better uses of my time but I know when I'm done that it's done right.

djg
06-29-2010, 07:37 AM
I watched a "mechanic" in a bike shop glue a tubular on a new rim. He ran a bead of glue down the entire middle of the rim, rotated it once spreading with his finger, put on the tire, inflated it and went on to his next job.

I would never ride a tubular glued by someone else. I can see myself bombing down a hill at 40+ MPH with a hard right hander at the bottom and having that memory pop into my head.

I may not do it fast, there might be better uses of my time but I know when I'm done that it's done right.

+1

I know I'll do a sound job.

In truth, there is a wrench I'd trust to do it right, but I'm not sure that the trips to the LBS and the transaction would be easier or quicker than doing it myself.

oldpotatoe
06-29-2010, 07:47 AM
Seems a little high...

http://madison.craigslist.org/bik/1815399513.html

Enough to make you want to ride clinchers.

I charge $40. The reason is I want people to learn to glue them on themselves. It isn't hard, takes not much time. I will also let anybody watch me in the process so they can do it themselves. Acid brush, can 'o glue, about 30 minutes. No, it doesn't take 3-4 days like some places online will say. I ride tubies eveyday, never had one that I have glued roll.

But if ya don't want to do it..$40 here in all the bike shops that do it in this little town.

oldpotatoe
06-29-2010, 07:48 AM
I rode tubulars for 20+ years ( late 70's - late 90's)- sometimes I glued them, sometimes I had a LBS glue them usually $4.00 - $5.00 a tire including glue. I basically quit riding for several years and when I started back in 2005, I still had only tubular rims - went to a closer shop, bought the tires from them and went back to pick them up - $40.00 per tire plus glue, I about had a stroke.

That was the end of my tubular riding.

Jeff

Why not learn to do it yourself Jeff...it isn't hard at all. No strokes then either.

oldpotatoe
06-29-2010, 07:49 AM
Between $70-$80 is retail around here. I glue my own.

Not that high. ProPeloton charges $40, methinks, SG about the same. vecchio's is $40..most won't do it.