PDA

View Full Version : Le Tour in 5 days....Predictions?

Volant
06-28-2010, 09:52 AM
Armstrong, Contador, one of the Schleck brothers, Wiggins, ????

StellaBlue
06-28-2010, 10:00 AM
The most efficient doper will win. Got my DVR all ready.

dekindy
06-28-2010, 10:01 AM
I have no predictions but hope it is as challenging and exciting as this year's Giro was with many lead changes and large time swings and the outcome in doubt until the very end.

johnnymossville
06-28-2010, 10:29 AM
I think this could be one of the more exciting and open tours in recent history. No predictions at the moment though.

michael white
06-28-2010, 10:46 AM
I think this could be one of the more exciting and open tours in recent history. No predictions at the moment though.

agreed. It'll be great to see Horner in it too.

bocarider
06-28-2010, 12:15 PM
If Contador can survive and not lose a ton of time on the cobblestones of Stage 3 (he has to do both), then he has a distinct advantage as ostensibly the strongest climber in the peloton and he will do well in the time trial. The Brothers Schleck can’t time trial too well, but with such a climbing intensive Tour, Andy could be on the podium again. Armstrong will have the best team protection of anyone, but both the Alps and the Pyrenees will show how strong (or how well doped) he is as ultimately he has to make it up those climbs and hang onto Contador’s and Schleck’s wheels. Basso is pretty hungry too.

My podium picks are:

Contador
Andy Schleck
Basso

Basso and Schleck could switch if Basso has a good time trial.

tv_vt
06-28-2010, 12:57 PM
Seems like anyone winning besides Contador would be considered an upset.

oldguy00
06-28-2010, 01:04 PM
I'm saying Armstrong.
I wouldn't have a couple of months ago.....but now I think he's ready.

mickeyc7
06-28-2010, 01:44 PM
If I were a betting man I would have to go with Contador to win. I think his preparation has been better than before and I'm not sure he needs it.
He is without a doubt the strongest climber and his time trialing has improved substantially.
A. Schleck for second place and third is a tossup between Basso, Armstrong, Wiggins and Evans.

kedbro
06-28-2010, 02:06 PM
I like the Contador - Schleck - Basso podium. Seems likely, especially a Contador win.

witcombusa
06-28-2010, 02:19 PM
Conti get bagged mid race for doping....lance gives him the knowing wink.....

I like Schleck, he's ready (can he ride cobbles?)

false_Aest
06-28-2010, 03:17 PM
I predict a bunch of skinny dudes asking like Prima Donnas and a little less Perez Hiltonesque gaytention antics than last year.

I also predict a few crashes.

And the Badger coming out and recognizing that his past aggression has to do with the fact that he was a closeted Furry.

Watch for rumors of Lemond and Landis getting too cozy near the port-o-potties and for Green Peace protesters to storm the final stage in Zodiacs claiming that Yellow Lions are killing Blue Fin Tuna and Whales in the Sea of Japan.

The Red Devil will chase after the leaders for a few hundred feet and then finally die. Autopsy will report blood clot due to EPO and circulation complications due to his red compression tights.

Borat will not be there but the American in antlers will.

Post Tour Lance will break up with ANOTHER hot woman and return to Mary Kate and/or Ashley Olson . . . maybe both.

Lance will also not return to the Tour next year. It's too hot right now. He will, instead, do IronMan Hawaii.

Look for a RadioShack co-sponsor . . . JoAnne Fabrics.

http://www.everymantri.com/everyman_triathlon/2010/02/lance-armstrong-experiments-with-his-new-tt-bike-in-kona-hawaii-.html

54ny77
06-28-2010, 03:28 PM
J'Accuse! J'Accuse!

93legendti
06-28-2010, 03:47 PM
I agree.

Contador is in another league, but, historically, former Bruyneel riders don't fare well after leaving Johan's nest...

Chris
06-28-2010, 04:02 PM
Fabian

rockdude
06-28-2010, 06:07 PM
I agree.

Contador is in another league, but, historically, former Bruyneel riders don't fare well after leaving Johan's nest...

That's my thought.

sevencyclist
06-28-2010, 07:09 PM
Contador, Armstrong, Schleck

Ti Designs
06-28-2010, 07:11 PM
I only watch on the rest day...

drewski
06-28-2010, 07:29 PM
I think it would be cool if the tour thought about having a retro day throughout the tour.

Have all the riders trade in the synthetic bike parephenalia for
traditional materials. Something similar to the throwback days in baseball.

Andrew

johnnymossville
06-28-2010, 07:40 PM
OK I thought about it while riding tonight. Prediction Time.

1st. Contador, The Duh Choice, he can climb better than everyone and can time trial with Cancellara especially on whatever drug he's taking. He won't be beaten, at least until his test comes back positive.

2nd. is the first loser. Armstrong will take second this year. He's on the same stuff Contador is on, but he's old.

3rd. Basso, he'll be able to stay with the Schlecks in the mountains and will beat Andy in the TT by a few seconds.

4th, Andy Schleck, chance for third, but will be a few seconds behind Basso.

2nd through 4th is a toss-up and the order favor any of the three mentioned.

Rueda Tropical
06-28-2010, 07:54 PM
Contador
Menchov
Basso

Steve in SLO
06-28-2010, 09:19 PM
I think it would be cool if the tour thought about having a retro day throughout the tour.

Andrew

Wool, downtube shifters and toe clips...nice!
Oh, and let's not forget the amphetamines.

thegunner
06-28-2010, 09:27 PM
OK I thought about it while riding tonight. Prediction Time.

1st. Contador, The Duh Choice, he can climb better than everyone and can time trial with Cancellara especially on whatever drug he's taking. He won't be beaten, at least until his test comes back positive.

let's be honest, he only won the TT last year because he was towed to the finish line by the motorbikes and he's probably doping. he just doesn't have the power to outride someone like cancellera without help

rounder
06-28-2010, 09:34 PM

Andrew

Maybe have the riders all wear Ralpha on Bastille day. Hope the race is good and the best guy wins. Rooting for Andy Schleck.

130R
06-28-2010, 09:39 PM
stage 2 sprint finish: cav causes another crash and hausler runs over his face.

BumbleBeeDave
06-28-2010, 09:42 PM
. . . is when Bertie the Accountant gives Lance Oldstrong "The Look" and then motors away from him on whatever HC climb they're on. Teach Oldstrong what it's like to be Jan . . . :eek: :rolleyes: :D

BBD

thwart
06-28-2010, 09:47 PM
Boonen
Haussler
Pereiro

... and Contador in 4th.

130R
06-28-2010, 10:00 PM
i don't think haussler will be a gc contender with that knee he keeps crying about

that guy
06-28-2010, 10:28 PM
I'm actually not holding out much hope for an exciting Tour, especially after this year's Giro.

1. Contador
2. Andy
3. Basso
7. Lance

rockdude
06-28-2010, 10:38 PM
I predict that this will be LA last Tour.

Wilkinson4
06-28-2010, 10:48 PM
At least one farmer protest, one positive test, and a media circus around LA no matter how well positioned he is on GC.

mIKE

retrogrouchy
06-28-2010, 11:02 PM
I predict a bunch of skinny dudes asking like Prima Donnas and a little less Perez Hiltonesque gaytention antics than last year.

And the Badger coming out and recognizing that his past aggression has to do with the fact that he was a closeted Furry.

Watch for rumors of Lemond and Landis getting too cozy near the port-o-potties and for Green Peace protesters to storm the final stage in Zodiacs claiming that Yellow Lions are killing Blue Fin Tuna and Whales in the Sea of Japan.

The Red Devil will chase after the leaders for a few hundred feet and then finally die. Autopsy will report blood clot due to EPO and circulation complications due to his red compression tights.

Post Tour Lance will break up with ANOTHER hot woman and return to Mary Kate and/or Ashley Olson . . . maybe both.

Lance will also not return to the Tour next year. It's too hot right now. He will, instead, do IronMan Hawaii.

http://www.everymantri.com/everyman_triathlon/2010/02/lance-armstrong-experiments-with-his-new-tt-bike-in-kona-hawaii-.html

Yeehah! LMAO!

I predict that lots of PEDs will be consumed, but, amazingly, zero riders will officially test positive, 'cuz, you know, them super-strict TdF organizers done cleaned up that race so good, it ain't even funny.

I'll still watch it, however. Can't stop myself!

(Boonen? Are you kidding? Simple Physics, man, Simple Physics...).

gasman
06-28-2010, 11:34 PM
Contador if he can survive the 3rd stage.
Schleck the younger
Dopestrong

Boonen won't start
Cav won't finish

dd74
06-29-2010, 01:09 AM
Armstrong.

Luxembourg: 3rd; Suisse: 2nd; Le Tour...well, as Armstrong himself put it in an interview, "...you do the math."

soulspinner
06-29-2010, 04:31 AM
Contador has an uncontrollable asthma attack, Armstrong catches a feedbag and takes down the Schlecks, Vino caught doping again and Bradley Wiggins wins but doesnt know hes so piss drunk.

LesMiner
06-29-2010, 07:01 AM
No prediction for Vinokourov? In the final days of last year's tour Lance made some interesting statements about Contador. Something about Contador's weaknesses and ego. I think it is likely there will be an ego confrontation between Contador and Vinokourov that will lead to to their undoing. Bruyneel will have a strategy to leverage that confontation to Team Radio Schack's advantage. Team Radio Schack has more of a chance to put someone on the podium than Astana.

572cv
06-29-2010, 07:18 AM

Very sage and wise predictions. And for a prescient depiction of the actual substance of the side show on PEDs, tune in here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g

Vive le tour.

oldpotatoe
06-29-2010, 08:04 AM
The most efficient doper will win. Got my DVR all ready.

Blood doping is the PED of choice these days as it cannot be detected, as long as the labels on the blood bags don't get switched(Tyler!!). I think monitoring hematocrit levels during the really tough stages would show who is. The ones who consistently say in the mid 40s, in spite of the toughness of the stage, are ones who added their blood to their blood.

retrogrouchy
06-29-2010, 02:24 PM
Blood doping is the PED of choice these days as it cannot be detected, as long as the labels on the blood bags don't get switched(Tyler!!). I think monitoring hematocrit levels during the really tough stages would show who is. The ones who consistently say in the mid 40s, in spite of the toughness of the stage, are ones who added their blood to their blood.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! :beer:

William
06-29-2010, 02:35 PM
Phil and Paul will be at each and every stage finish before any of the contenders get there......enjoying some fine vino and doing their best to act like it's all perfectly natural.

:beer:

William

gearguywb
06-29-2010, 03:06 PM
Contador attacks when Vino is up the road in a break. Contador wins stage, Vino kicks his a** in the team bus. Contador starts the following day with a black eye but abandons due to breathing with cracked ribs.

Schleck (Andy) wins if he will cut the cord to Frank and go on his own.

Basso second.

Armstrong third only because he stayed out of trouble on the cobbles but lost time in the mountains and the time trial.

thegunner
06-29-2010, 06:24 PM
no love for BMC :( i want evans to do well, but it probably won't happen

SEABREEZE
06-29-2010, 08:10 PM
Is Versus going to cover the TDF

BumbleBeeDave
06-29-2010, 08:23 PM

http://www.versus.com/blogs/2010-cycling-events/tour-de-france-tv-schedule/

It will be All-Lance-All-The-Time for the whole race. If he's in the hunt you will hear of nothing else. If he's NOT in the hunt you will hear of nothing else except all the reasons he's not and how he will be again any minute.

BBD

Wilkinson4
06-29-2010, 08:38 PM
[QUOTE=gearguywb]Contador attacks when Vino is up the road in a break. Contador wins stage, Vino kicks his a** in the team bus. Contador starts the following day with a black eye but abandons due to breathing with cracked ribs.

And it may happen. I was going to predict that his team would revolt and stop working for him but he is still the strongest.

mIKE

retrogrouchy
06-29-2010, 09:19 PM

You mean the network formerly known as the Only Lance Network? :D

Marcusaurelius
06-29-2010, 09:33 PM
I think crashes could predict the winner. Cobblestones could take out a favourite or two. That being said, I am pulling for Lance but I think Alberto and Ivan are also very talented.

I remeber one tour where a spanish rider took a horrific crash on innocent looking descent and Lance just missed crashing into a fallen rider. One mistake in the wrong part of the course and your tour could end.

bzbvh5
06-30-2010, 02:31 PM
Alberto Contador and Alexander Vinokourov will work so well together it will be like watching Greg Lemond and Bernard Hinault. Now that's team work. In fact, their goal will be so single minded, neither will feel the need to talk to the other after the first week.

Cadel Evans is to cycling what Greg Norman is to golf. Cadel will do everything right, but something will happen.

After sending all their best riders to the Giro, Liquigas will be out of gas. Like Franco Pellizotti, I think others will be found to be putting additives in the tank.

HTC wears a yellow jersey and don't seem to want to win one. They are happiest with green. More power to them.

Lance will start whining because he is not in yellow by the middle of week two, say things like "I'm doing great at age 39" and "It's all about the mission to fight cancer". And Versus won't let us miss a moment.

For the 500th consecutive year (it just seems like forever), the French will not win their own race. Not a single Frenchman is considered a favorite to win the General Classification.

My top 3 are Andy Schleck, Frank Schleck, Heinrich Haussler

Volant
06-30-2010, 03:27 PM
My thinking is with Marcusaurelius...that crashes will be pivotal to the GC.

rpm
06-30-2010, 04:15 PM
My thinking is with Marcusaurelius...that crashes will be pivotal to the GC.

I agree. I think one of the big guns will be out and a couple of others will get beat up in one of the first three stages. It might be in 1 or 2 rather than the third stage that everybody worries about. Look what happened when the Giro started in Holland.

If I were Lance, I'd be really worried about those first stages. No injuries in his first seven wins, but now he's getting cracked up a lot. Karma can be a bitch.

victoryfactory
07-01-2010, 01:04 PM
Podium:

A Schleck- he can really climb with the best
Lance- determined, experienced, smart
Contador- the best on paper, but will have to deal with Vino's "help"

Top 10 contenders:

Horner- depends on team dynamics
Levi- see above
Basso- ? after that Giro performance
VandeVelde- something always goes wrong
Evans- can't win on sandwiches and mineral water
Wiggins- will be around the top, fade in the last week
Sastre- ? always possible
Menchov- he's Russian

I will remind you all of these picks in 3 weeks.

(unless I'm wrong, in which case I'll go back and replace everything with a ".")

VF

SEABREEZE
07-03-2010, 12:12 PM
You mean the network formerly known as the Only Lance Network? :D

Call it what you want, you can always mutte the commentators.

At least I can enjoy watching the TDF IN HD TV.

SEABREEZE
07-03-2010, 01:17 PM
http://www.versus.com/blogs/2010-cycling-events/tour-de-france-tv-schedule/

BBD

Thanks BBD

Rueda Tropical
07-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Last year we heard how clueless Contador would get smoked by Lance and Bruyneel's superior tactical skills and experience. Sounded great until reality intruded.

Now we are hearing about how weak Astana is, how team RS will control the race and how Vino will stab Contador in the back. We'll see how well that prediction holds up.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=69519&stc=1

jlwdm
07-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Last year we heard how clueless Contador would get smoked by Lance and Bruyneel's superior tactical skills and experience. Sounded great until reality intruded.

Now we are hearing about how weak Astana is, how team RS will control the race and how Vino will stab Contador in the back. We'll see how well that prediction holds up.

]

You did not hear that last year or this year from anybody that knows about cycling. If you elect to listen to that sort of stuff it is up to you.

Jeff

Rueda Tropical
07-05-2010, 05:58 AM
You did not hear that last year or this year from anybody that knows about cycling. If you elect to listen to that sort of stuff it is up to you.

Jeff

Really?
I turned on Versus last night and on some Tour recap I heard a couple of commenters who know more about cycling then you or I inform me that perhaps Armstrong didn't answer Contador's accelerations in the mountains last year because of team tactics, but this year he won't be constrained as they are on different teams. Wow! Lance could have won, he was just holding back! Then I learned how Armstrong's age was actually an advantage as he had a broader base of fitness. At that point I switched it off but it's no wonder the view of this race for so many bears so little relation to reality.