PDA

View Full Version : speedplay zero foot positioning

stickville
06-28-2010, 07:05 AM
I have switched from eggbeaters on my road bike to zero's. The pedals are great I can ride more without the knee discomfort I was having with the eggbeaters.
I noticed that my left foot is in the approximated center of the pedal float position but my right foot is turned in towards the bike at the max float position(15'). I have checked both cleats and they are positioned identically as the mirror images of each other.
Is the different relative positioning of each foot going to cause me orthopedic problems? Do I need wedges on my right foot/shoe to straighten it out? Should I adjust the right cleat to make my right foot track straighter or should I just ride and enjoy the new pedals? My wife thinks I have too much time on my hands and I need a sport psychiatrist! If I only did a little more yard work I would not have time to worry about my pedals ....

victoryfactory
06-28-2010, 07:15 AM
I have the same situation.
In my case, I happen to know that my left heel naturally
turns inward.
I think the speedplay pedals pick up on that and they
allow your body to work at it's preferred position.

When I ride pedals that lock in a straighter position on my
left foot, I immediately get knee pain.

I guess there is a limit to how out of whack you can go, but
I'm not a foot doctor. All I know is the Speedplays completely
solved my knee pain by allowing my feet to find their own angles.

VF

RADaines
06-28-2010, 07:16 AM
The reason I went with Speedplay pedals is because my right foot naturally wants to be heel in. These pedals allow your foot to go where it wants to go, thus helping to avoid knee problems. My left foot is almost perfectly straight. Ride and enjoy!

Peter P.
06-28-2010, 03:53 PM
One cleat's position is not to be construed as the correct position for BOTH cleats. Adjust each independently for fore/aft, lateral, and float until you feel comfortable. Adjust your right cleat so the foot doesn't hit the crankarm using the allen screws; any less rotation than that is purely personal preference. If you think you have a fit issue that could be cured with wedges and such and are not sure what to do, then seek out a knowledgeable fitter. Otherwise, grab a copy of Andy Pruitt's book, Complete Medical Guide for Cyclists and you'll have all you need to know.

Derailer
06-28-2010, 05:05 PM
I'm a bit confused about how Zeros work. I thought you had to set the fixed foot positioning through cleat adjustment. It appears from the OP, however, that it is possible to find a "natural" position using the Zeros. Can anyone clarify this point for me, as I have my share of knee troubles and am considering switching to Speedplays (love the Frogs on my MTB).

Thanks

1centaur
06-28-2010, 05:48 PM
Imagine your Frogs, except you can limit the foot rotation per pedal anywhere from Frog Freedom to Look Locked In by turning screws in the cleat.

Any free float pedal allows your foot to go where it (and your leg) wants it to go, whereas pedals that limit float really are designed to stop your foot going where it wants so you can reduce/eliminate slippage in power transmission. The Zero system allows whatever combination you want, including the ability to change over time. I went from Frogs to Xs to Zero when I got the sense that my foot could stand to be limited a bit. Even at pretty limited float, they feel smoother in that float that Looks, IMO.

Derailer
06-28-2010, 06:59 PM
Imagine your Frogs, except you can limit the foot rotation per pedal anywhere from Frog Freedom to Look Locked In by turning screws in the cleat.

Any free float pedal allows your foot to go where it (and your leg) wants it to go, whereas pedals that limit float really are designed to stop your foot going where it wants so you can reduce/eliminate slippage in power transmission. The Zero system allows whatever combination you want, including the ability to change over time. I went from Frogs to Xs to Zero when I got the sense that my foot could stand to be limited a bit. Even at pretty limited float, they feel smoother in that float that Looks, IMO.

Very helpful, thanks. I'm ordering a pair today.

Pete Serotta
06-29-2010, 06:56 AM
Sir 1centaur is right on again. THANKS> Pete

stickville
06-29-2010, 07:11 AM
The coffee shop cleat covers make the zero's much easier to walk in and seems as though they should extend the cleat's lfe.
Thanks for all of the replies. I am just going to ride and not worry about what position my feet are floating ...