rugbysecondrow
06-28-2010, 06:06 AM
Nice, where were these taken?

dancinkozmo
06-28-2010, 06:08 AM
where the heck in michigan is that ????

93legendti
06-28-2010, 06:41 AM
East of the Kinneret on a mountain plateau. That's the descent from our village, the pitch ranges from 3-11%. At some point you think you are dropping off a cliff into the water.

SEABREEZE
06-28-2010, 07:43 AM
At what elevation do you live. lets see some day shots of the same area, when you have a chance.

Thought i saw 2 bicyclists climbing in one of your pictures.

Ray
06-28-2010, 08:26 AM
East of the Kinneret on a mountain plateau. That's the descent from our village, the pitch ranges from 3-11%. At some point you think you are dropping off a cliff into the water.
This is on the BF Tickit?

And I thought the mountain plateau EAST of the Kinneret was the Golan Heights? I guess my memory of the geography of the area is a bit screwed up - intervening hills between the water and the Golan? I guess I've only seen the east side of the Kinneret from the west side, along the water, so I probably just had a very sketchy idea of it to begin with.

-Ray

93legendti
06-28-2010, 08:44 AM
This is on the BF Tickit?

And I thought the mountain plateau EAST of the Kinneret was the Golan Heights? I guess my memory of the geography of the area is a bit screwed up - intervening hills between the water and the Golan? I guess I've only seen the east side of the Kinneret from the west side, along the water, so I probably just had a very sketchy idea of it to begin with.

-Ray
Ray, actually, I brought my new BF Pocket Rocket Pro-I bought the frameset on BF's Black Friday 15% off sale and sold my PR. As a side note, I can ride this bike no handed.

You deciphered my "code" perfectly. I was trying to be subtle for the benefit of those who find the mention of this place "controversial".

At what elevation do you live. lets see some day shots of the same area, when you have a chance.

Thought i saw 2 bicyclists climbing in one of your pictures.
The elevation here is Sea Level. The lake in the picture is below Sea Level. I'm about to head out after dropping the kids at the pool, I will take some more.

goonster
06-28-2010, 10:42 AM
those who find the mention of this place "controversial".

I'm pretty sure those people are gone. :beer:

William
06-28-2010, 11:07 AM
I'm pretty sure those people are gone. :beer:

The cabal has left the building..... :confused:

Nice photos...looking forward to seeing more...and the bike your riding. :)

William ;) :)

Climb01742
06-28-2010, 11:45 AM
if beauty is controversial, we're all in deep dodo. :beer:

SEABREEZE
06-28-2010, 01:58 PM
Ray, actually, I brought my new BF Pocket Rocket Pro-I bought the frameset on BF's Black Friday 15% off sale and sold my PR. As a side note, I can ride this bike no handed.

You deciphered my "code" perfectly. I was trying to be subtle for the benefit of those who find the mention of this place "controversial".

The elevation here is Sea Level. The lake in the picture is below Sea Level. I'm about to head out after dropping the kids at the pool, I will take some more.

Thats strange on a mountain plateau, and its at sealevel...

DreaminJohn
06-28-2010, 02:33 PM
Amazing.

Please post more.

93legendti
06-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Thats strange on a mountain plateau, and its at sealevel...

The plateau is quite interesting. In the south it barely rises up - ~ 100 meters. In the north, it rises steeply for over 1000 meters.

Last year, it was 45 deg C in our village. We drove to the very northern spot on the plateau and took a chairlift to the top of the ski mountain. It was 15 deg C at 2:00 pm.

Have you ever done a double take while climbing a mountain in 100 degree weather? I did 2 yrs ago when, after climbing for 15 minutes, I saw the "Sea Level" sign. It took a lot of effort. :) The climbs onto the plateau all start below sea level. Then, there are extinct volcanoes that dot the eastern border of the plateau. (In between all that, there are deep gorges, streams, rivers, waterfalls, springs, hexagon shaped natural swimming pools, Crusader era fortresses, hot sulphor springs and much more.)

As I understand it, the valley and lake in between the mountain ranges to the east and west are part of the African-Syrian rift. It seems at one time the region was mostly flat and the Rift opened up a great, yawning chasm.

I'm working on more pics...

It was about 95 degrees at 5:00 pm.

SEABREEZE
06-28-2010, 04:01 PM
HOT HOT HOT

Thats makes sense, because it starts at below sea level

retrogrouchy
06-28-2010, 08:55 PM
HOT HOT HOT

Thats makes sense, because it starts at below sea level

Sort of related, but that makes me think of Denali (the mountain, not the pimped-out SUV!).
Denali is the tallest mountain in the World, because it begins (slightly) below sea level.... :cool:

P.S. That's awfully far to go, just to get away from the coyotes!

William
06-29-2010, 04:22 AM
Sort of related, but that makes me think of Denali (the mountain, not the pimped-out SUV!).
Denali is the tallest mountain in the World, because it begins (slightly) below sea level.... :cool:

P.S. That's awfully far to go, just to get away from the coyotes!

http://www.foodmessalert.com/cliff-claven-200w.jpg

Actually….It’s a little known fact….

That Denali is the highest mountain, but not the tallest. Mauna Kea is the tallest mountain on Earth. Measured from top to its base below sea level, Mauna Kea beats Everest by 4,436 ft. (over 3/4 of a mile). What is the difference?

The peak of the highest mountain is the furthest away from sea level.
The peak of the tallest mountain is the furthest away from the base of the mountain.

Although Mount Everest, at 29,035 ft (8,850m) tall, is often called the tallest mountain; Mauna Kea, an inactive volcano on the island of Hawaii, is actually taller. Only 13,796 feet of Mauna Kea stands above sea level, however, if you measure it from its base, which is below sea level, it is 33,465 feet. If you stand Mauna Kea and Mount Everest next to each other, Mount Kea would be 4,436 feet taller!

The Hawaiian name "Mauna Kea" means "White Mountain." It’s also home to an obscure tribe of albino women of that enjoying getting together to hunt coyote, cycle, ice fish and rub sunscreen all over each others glistening, pure, naked bodies....or so I'm told.

Cliff

soulspinner
06-29-2010, 04:25 AM
Great pics, thanks 4 sharing.

Ray
06-29-2010, 05:09 AM
I'm about to head out after dropping the kids at the pool, I will take some more.

I hope you meant that literally. Otherwise, TMI (but I hope it was a good dump). :)

I forgot there was a ski area up there - seems so thoroughly unlikely. I don't think mentioning where you were can be controversial. But talking about that African/Syrian rift is getting into sensitive territory. Just don't mention the Israeli/Syrian rift and we should all be cool. :cool:

-Ray

djg
06-29-2010, 08:22 AM

I like the photos.

I'd like to think we can see more photos from Israel without much political controversy.

93legendti
06-29-2010, 09:00 AM
I hope you meant that literally. Otherwise, TMI (but I hope it was a good dump). :)

I forgot there was a ski area up there - seems so thoroughly unlikely. I don't think mentioning where you were can be controversial. But talking about that African/Syrian rift is getting into sensitive territory. Just don't mention the Israeli/Syrian rift and we should all be cool. :cool:

-Ray
I did, u lost me....

I didn't think it's controversial, but I have been informed in the past that some people here think that way.

The ski area is unlikely, but on weekends in the winter the roads to the resort are jammed with thrill seekers from the center looking to ski/snowboard.

I'm about to go for another ride-I mean that literally.

Last nite's pics were too large to upload-I will try again.

retrogrouchy
06-29-2010, 01:39 PM
http://www.foodmessalert.com/cliff-claven-200w.jpg

Actually….It’s a little known fact….

That Denali is the highest mountain, but not the tallest. Mauna Kea is the tallest mountain on Earth. Measured from top to its base below sea level, Mauna Kea beats Everest by 4,436 ft. (over 3/4 of a mile). What is the difference?

The peak of the tallest mountain is the furthest away from the base of the mountain.

Although Mount Everest, at 29,035 ft (8,850m) tall, is often called the tallest mountain; Mauna Kea, an inactive volcano on the island of Hawaii, is actually taller. Only 13,796 feet of Mauna Kea stands above sea level, however, if you measure it from its base, which is below sea level, it is 33,465 feet. If you stand Mauna Kea and Mount Everest next to each other, Mount Kea would be 4,436 feet taller!

The Hawaiian name "Mauna Kea" means "White Mountain." It’s also home to an obscure tribe of albino women of that enjoying getting together to hunt coyote, cycle, ice fish and rub sunscreen all over each others glistening, pure, naked bodies....or so I'm told.

Cliff

Awesome!
Duly noted.... :rolleyes:

Thanks, Cliff.

retrogrouchy
06-29-2010, 01:40 PM
I like the photos.

I'd like to think we can see more photos from Israel without much political controversy.

+1.

93legendti
06-29-2010, 02:16 PM
At 5:00 pm it was 100 degrees. By the end of my ride, the water in my bottle was warm enough to make tea.

These aren't the best photos-only the ones small enough to upload...

William
06-29-2010, 02:42 PM
Thank you for sharing Adam. :cool:

William

93legendti
07-01-2010, 02:30 PM
My pleasure!

Today I did the climb to the Mt. Hermon ski station, the highest point in the country. Normally, the climb starts in Majdal Shams, but the locals were burning trash in the garbage dump and the wind blew the noxious fumes over the 1rst 1/4 km of the climb. So, I started a little higher up, in cool air and without the aid of an easy warmup.

Mt. Hermon is called the windy mountain and it lived up to its name. With pitches of 4-18% and the wind in my face the whole way, it was a tough climb. In fact, the 18% pitches were in the 1rst 1-2 kms.No pics, I had my hands full and the ascent's views are unremarkable. We wanted to take the chair lift to the top, where the views are striking, but they closed the lift as we asked about buying tickets.

While I rode, the family did the metal slide they have for summer fun. the locals call it a Maslool. They rode it 5 times-it's a wild ride.

They also sell tickets to mtn bikers to ride the lift to the top and there are 2 seperate tracks to descend.

For those who have been to the country and know the area, we started at the Ein Zivan chocolate factory; had brunch on Har Bental (and extinct volcano, there are 36 on the Golan)-where it was cold!; we toured Tel Facher/Golani lookout; walked the trail at the Banias to the rushing water and then went to Mt. Hermon. We ate dinner at the Aniam artist village and had dessert in Katzrin. We saw more wind turbines than last year...
Full day.

SEABREEZE
07-03-2010, 12:20 PM
QUOTE Actually….It’s a little known fact….

__________________________________________________ _______________

Thats why I like this site, you learn something new every day

Thank you William