PDA

View Full Version : F1 fork longevity

troymac
06-27-2010, 10:06 PM
Just bought a CSi 56 square frame with a F1 fork was wondering what kind of life span would that fork have .... as far as I can tell it's in very good shape no visible damage or cracks and the frame looks arrow straight.

Louis
06-27-2010, 10:34 PM
If the bike hasn't had a major crash or a minor (or major) head-on and the frame and fork appear to be in good condition there's no reason to worry.

My daily driver has a Kestrel EMS (steel steerer, CF blades) and over the last six years or so it's been down a number of times, but nothing major. The clear coat has a few scratches. I just keep riding it. No problems.

Unless it's been abused in some manner, I bet your fork will last as long as the frame.

dave thompson
06-27-2010, 10:44 PM
Serotta's F1 fork has a great reputation for being one tough SOB. Absent any visible damage, chances for many long years of riding it are good.

regularguy412
06-27-2010, 10:56 PM
Only thing I know of, is to check for loose dropouts. The way I understand the issue: back then, they hadn't really devised a good way to make sure the titanium dropouts stayed planted securely in the carbon fiber fork blades. When I sent my CSI back for a repair of the cable stops, the factory noted a loose dropout on the F1 that came on my 1996 model. Serotta replaced that fork with a brand new Ouzo Pro (at no charge to me -- how's THAT for customer service?? )

Otherwise, as others have said, if no crashes -- it's a very good (albeit slightly heavy by today's standards) fork.

Mike in AR:beer:

troymac
06-27-2010, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the info ... Ill start to post pics of the build when she gets more together

Ahneida Ride
06-28-2010, 01:42 AM
F1's have a SOLID reputation.

Just check dropouts.

David Kirk
06-28-2010, 09:10 AM
There were a small number of early forks whose dropouts came loose allowing them to rotate in the blades. They would not and could not come out but they did rotate and make a hell of noise. The dropout design was changed and this eliminated the issue. This is the only issue with them that I know of.

So grab the dropouts with the hand and give them a twist and if they move the fork is toast. If they don't you will be able to pass it on to your grandkids.

Dave