PDA

View Full Version : chamois cream

vqdriver
06-27-2010, 02:10 PM
is there any benefit to using it if you're not experiencing any discomfort other than the normal saddle soreness?

is it for chafing/skin irritation?

stephenmarklay
06-27-2010, 04:55 PM
and "hot spots". I am not symmetric on the saddle and put more pressure on one side it while I have never had any real issues it does make things a bit more comfy and stops the skin from becoming raw.

Doing hard intervals in the garage were not very comfy after a while so now I use body glide which is not at all messy and works. I use the standard not the chamois stuff (health nut - and the original is fragrance free)

Lots of products to try.

Avispa
06-27-2010, 05:12 PM
Lots of products to try.

I think with the advancement of chamois technology, chamois creams have become some sort of a marketing gimmick...

With that said, however, I must say that in the summer these chamois creams tend to be more useful than using nothing.

These are some of my favorites:

1) DZNuts
2) Elite Protect Cream
3) Mad Alchemy's Pro Plus and Euro Pro

Others tend to be a bit more expensive than they need to be.

When using a cream see that it is thick and viscous; a light cream is just going to get absorbed by your skin very rapidly and you will not get as much benefits from it.

I have discovered that the type of detergent one uses for the shorts AND the way you dry your shorts, has an impact on the chamois comfort, durability and subsequent feel in your rear end.

Cheers!

false_Aest
06-27-2010, 06:06 PM
Don't try to fix something that doesn't need fixed. (pittsburgeeeese)

ultratoad
06-27-2010, 10:19 PM
I have had saddle sores and chaffing-- don't let it happen! I use Assos because it works for me. I put it directly on the skin instead of the chamois because it saves on product. A good chamois and a good cream is imperative in my mind.... Try it for yourself-- the only true answer!

Peter P.
06-28-2010, 06:00 AM
false Aest gets it.

I only use it on rides where sweat and long saddle times are known to have caused discomfort in the past. I'm talkin' 5 hours or more, or rides like D2R2.

Two of my riding companions this weekend confirmed during our 9 hour ride what I recommended-Bag Balm WORKS, and is CHEAP.

rwsaunders
06-28-2010, 07:55 AM
It's been said before but the original Assos set the standard imho. With it no longer being on the market, I've tried a few products out there.

Based on some testimonials from some long distance cyclists on the Forum, I purchased Smooth Ride Chamois Cream from www.unconmed.com and it preformed very well. I'm anxious to try their Leg Salsa embrocation in the Fall, but until then, I'll keep the bottles separated.

Tom hit it on the head, yinz don't need no fix for somthin' that ain't broke.

gone
06-28-2010, 08:24 AM
I never use anything on rides up to 100 miles but when doing multiple 100+ days in a row the combination that works best for me (and I've tried lots of others) is bag balm applied to my butt and chamois butter (or Assos) applied to the chamois. The combination seems to work better than either product alone, the bag balm sticks better and doesn't sweat off, the chamois butter lubricates and both disinfect to some degree.