PDA

View Full Version : Probikekit greymarket?

merlincustom1
06-27-2010, 11:38 AM
Probikekit is super cheap. Anyone know if they're grey market, or if a US buyer will wind up with a European warranty?

Dave
06-27-2010, 11:48 AM
If you're talking about Campy parts, you can forget about warranty, unless PBK will handle the transaction for you (doubtful).

I buy all of my Campy parts from the UK these days, but I never expect to need or receive any warranty service. I buy from Ribble or Shiny Bikes.

I've only had one trivial repair that could have been done under warranty in 15 years, so it really does not concern me to have no warranty.

oldpotatoe
06-28-2010, 08:03 AM
Probikekit is super cheap. Anyone know if they're grey market, or if a US buyer will wind up with a European warranty?

Don't expect to have a US warranty when buying Campagnolo from the places in the UK. Don't know if it's grey or black but it doesn't come from a more 'normal' European distribution channel.

Polyglot
06-28-2010, 08:24 AM
European law obliges any seller to offer a two year warranty. The seller can then turn to the person/company who sold to him/her and so on until it ultimately reaches the manufacturer. You are however obliged to return things to the seller that you bought from. So it is never a case of "No Warranty" but rather a less handy warranty requiring a bit more of a hassle...

Pete Serotta
06-28-2010, 10:22 AM
With the Euro weaker lately and the EU economy some of the buys in EU will be a better buy against $$ but there is not a US warranty.

THe YEN has been strong so the Shimano ones are not the screaming deal of CAMPY.

SoCalSteve
06-28-2010, 10:41 AM
Shimano doesn't care where you buy their product from...they will warranty it....and, they don't fix it, they just replace with new.

Excellent company to do business with!

Ozz
06-28-2010, 12:15 PM
Shimano doesn't care where you buy their product from...they will warranty it....and, they don't fix it, they just replace with new.

...and they make nice fishing reels too.... ;) :rolleyes:

SoCalSteve
06-28-2010, 01:14 PM
...and they make nice fishing reels too.... ;) :rolleyes:

And I bet their warranty replacement policy is just as good on their fishing gear as it is on their cycling gear.

Truly a great company to do business with!

thwart
06-28-2010, 04:23 PM
Lickton's Bike has Alloy Athena for $799.

Take that, UK online retailers! :D

jlwdm
06-28-2010, 04:39 PM
Although Shiny is $676 but a little more shipping.

I just bought from a LBS.

Jeff

Dave
06-28-2010, 05:34 PM
I'd gladly buy from US based dealers if they could get close on price, but most are not. I never bought Campy from UK dealers until the 2009 parts came out in late '08 and they jacked prices sky high (but only to the USA).

Lickton's is now competitive. If they can do it, then why can't the many other sellers who are still asking far higher prices?

Lickton's price on SRAM Red is ridiculous. It should be about the same as Campy Record.