PDA

View Full Version : Zero Stack Headset woes...

rice rocket
06-26-2010, 09:25 PM
This is my first time dealing with a zero stack headset, I was wondering if you guys could help me out w/ the final assembly process. It's a Ritchey Zero Stack headset.

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/milewidesports/ritchey_internal_hs_1.jpg

Everything fits well, nice and snug on the cups and the dust cap is very snug on the steerer. Problem I'm having though, is the split compression ring doesn't seem to hold the steerer in the upper bearing.

Maybe I'm not applying enough force? Should I pipe and hammer that compression ring on before I slide on the dust cap? Right now, I'm just using the stem to push down on it to compress the whole stack, and I'll tighten the allen bolts on the stem while trying to bear all my weight down on it. Fully assembled, I can still feel a couple thousandths of movement at that upper bearing.

Any clues?

Thanks.

TAW
06-26-2010, 09:35 PM
You should be able to use the top cap to compress the headset down tight before you tighten the stem bolts. Make sure that your star nut is holding while you are tightening the top cap, or you won't get a snug fit. Forgive me if you've already tried that. :)

Peter B
06-26-2010, 09:45 PM
Umm...I hope you're not using that star nut with a carbon steerer.

rice rocket
06-26-2010, 09:58 PM
Ah, maybe that's the key...

I was assembling it without a top cap and only me bearing down on the stem to hold the stack in place; I don't have a compression plug yet (as it's a carbon steerer and I only received a star nut w/ the headset).

I'll give it a try when the top cap/compression plug comes in, thanks.

Peter B
06-26-2010, 10:29 PM
That'll do the trick.

stephenmarklay
06-27-2010, 09:13 AM
If it does not work... I have a Specialized Tarmac that I put on a Cane Creek 110. It need 3mils of spacers. The bearing races are positioned such that it is not "standard". Hey Specialized "Mindset" is not smart.

rice rocket
06-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Worked great.

I used a Kore top cap/compression plug from my local Performance Bike, it needed quite a bit of force to hold in place without sliding up the steerer. Hopefully my steerer doesn't crack.

http://www.kore-usa.com/image/products_image/elite_kis_top_silver.jpg