PDA

View Full Version : O.T. Headphone recommendations

Stefan
06-26-2010, 06:40 PM
I'm interested in buying noise canceling headphones and would like your thoughts and recommendations.

Thank you.

m.skeen
06-26-2010, 07:04 PM
Do they have to be noise canceling? How about isolation? JH Audio JH13s is what I have:

http://www.jhaudio.com/promusic/

Highly recommended.

regularguy412
06-26-2010, 07:10 PM
There are a couple other threads on the forum besides this one. Check it out.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=37357&highlight=noise+cancel

Mike in AR:beer:

Stefan
06-26-2010, 07:32 PM
I would use them most often when flying. Which is better, isolation or NC?

AngryScientist
06-26-2010, 07:42 PM
the two best names in headphones are grado and sennheiser. any of the headphones made by these two are going to be excellent.

m.skeen
06-26-2010, 07:54 PM
the two best names in headphones are grado and sennheiser. any of the headphones made by these two are going to be excellent.

I think both are great in certain applications and types of music. However to the OP question, Grado does not offer a noise-canceling headphone and Sennheiser has a few models. I can't comment on any of them though.

GuyGadois
06-27-2010, 12:04 AM
Not noise canceling but my Grado's are insane and under $100

xjoex
06-27-2010, 06:14 AM
Whatever you do, do not buy LE noise isolation headphones. I got a pair and they sound ok, but the cord breaks very easily.

-Joe

SEABREEZE
06-27-2010, 07:11 AM
OP do yourself a favor go to http://www.head-fi.org/forum/list/103
you will get great answers to your question there.

Its like the serottas forum for bike entusiasts. you will always get a correct answer to your question, same with head fi...those guys live headphones.

There is a senn phone i use with my portable amp thats attached to my i pod
its is closed which cancels out any outside noise

model senn HD 25-1 II

victoryfactory
06-27-2010, 08:10 AM
I would use them most often when flying. Which is better, isolation or NC?

Isolation 'phones require insertion into the ear to work properly.
This can be uncomfortable for long periods for some people.
They are much smaller and easier to pack. They do work well.

Noise canceling use a technology that doesn't require insertion, they
are much more comfortable but are bigger and require a battery.
I've used the original Bose over the ear style for years.
New models are more compact and don't cover the whole ear,
I haven't tried them yet.

I've used both on long flights, I can't tolerate the isolation type for very long.
The large size Bose are super comfortable but can interfere slightly with the
typical squirming and twisting to find a comfortable position in an airline seat.

VF

stephenmarklay
06-27-2010, 09:28 AM
Consumers reports has a "little" test in the newest issue August 2010

m.skeen
06-27-2010, 11:08 AM
Isolation 'phones require insertion into the ear to work properly.
This can be uncomfortable for long periods for some people.
They are much smaller and easier to pack. They do work well.

Noise canceling use a technology that doesn't require insertion, they
are much more comfortable but are bigger and require a battery.
I've used the original Bose over the ear style for years.
New models are more compact and don't cover the whole ear,
I haven't tried them yet.

I've used both on long flights, I can't tolerate the isolation type for very long.
The large size Bose are super comfortable but can interfere slightly with the
typical squirming and twisting to find a comfortable position in an airline seat.

VF

This is why i went the custom in-ear route. I can wear mine for hours without any problem.

scrubadub
06-27-2010, 11:42 AM
I second the recommendation for checking out the Head-fi forums. The last time I looked they leaned towards the isolation-type headsets but check it out for yourself. It's dangerous to look through the forum though - by the time you're done you'll be convinced that you should also buy a portable amp, upgrade to the highest-end headsets, etc. Sounds like another forum I frequent...

I ended up buying a set of Etymotics ER-6 (their budget headset). It took some time to stuffing my ears with the foam but now they don't bother me at all. I find the size (same as normal portable ear buds) to be a big plus since I prefer traveling as light as possible.

Britishbane
06-27-2010, 01:16 PM
I second the recommendation for checking out the Head-fi forums. The last time I looked they leaned towards the isolation-type headsets but check it out for yourself. It's dangerous to look through the forum though - by the time you're done you'll be convinced that you should also buy a portable amp, upgrade to the highest-end headsets, etc. Sounds like another forum I frequent...

I ended up buying a set of Etymotics ER-6 (their budget headset). It took some time to stuffing my ears with the foam but now they don't bother me at all. I find the size (same as normal portable ear buds) to be a big plus since I prefer traveling as light as possible.

Good info there.

I had (until puppy ate them) ultimate ears super-fi 5 pro's. Excellent sounding in ear monitors with good noise isolation. I've yet to hear noise canceling headphones that sound as good as a decent in ear monitor.

rbtmcardle
06-27-2010, 01:21 PM
As someone previously mentioned, do a search of the forums... I used Bose noise canceling headphones for years... and grew tired of carrying another bag on my trips (mostly Europe and China). After many recommendations I moved to the Ultimate Ears in ear monitors. I have very small ear canals and often have difficulty with ear buds for phones etc.. I am very happy and comfortable with the UE10s though, also, while trying to sleep on a flight they are much more comfortable while leaning your head on a pillow or headrest...

http://www.ultimateears.com/_ultimateears/store/products/triplefi10pro.php

Stefan
06-28-2010, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the advice.