PDA

View Full Version : Very excited to start riding regularly again...

batman1425
06-25-2010, 07:58 PM
Well, after almost a year of preparation, I passed my graduate school qualifying exam. Riding time has taken a big hit over the last year, being replaced by extra time preparing for the exam. Its finally over. I passed , so I can now just focus on completing my research, getting a few papers out and then defending my thesis. I'm still expected to be chained to my lab bench, but at least now I can ride in my free time instead of 20-40 hrs a week of exam prep. Its sad to think how fit I would be if those hours were spend riding :(

I don't think I've ever been more excited to get the miles in and I now finally have time time. :beer:

jlwdm
06-25-2010, 09:27 PM
Congratulations. Get in a great ride tomorrow.

Jeff

stephenmarklay
06-25-2010, 10:06 PM
Great for you. Good job! I did just an undergrad physics and I was pretty dedicated. I used to get 50 miles in once in a while and it was heaven.

Ralph
06-26-2010, 06:58 AM
Congrats! You made wise choices.

rwsaunders
06-26-2010, 09:32 AM
Good on you...now you can enjoy the ride time. :beer:

flydhest
06-26-2010, 01:49 PM
I am aghast to say how long ago it was that I was in your shoes. I raced with my school's undergrads for the next two years, but had to bail on cycling again when the dissertation had to get done.

best of luck.

What field?

batman1425
06-26-2010, 09:18 PM
Thanks for all the nice words everyone! I'm going for my PhD in Microbiology. The first year wasn't so bad. Lots of course work and teaching requirements to fulfill, so my PI was more flexible on how much time I was supposed to spend in lab which gave me more time to do "other things" a.k.a. have a life. The second year was more course work, more teaching, LOTS more research, and prepping for the exam, which left no time for riding, sleeping, eating, etc... Average time to a degree in my program is 5.5-6 years, so I should have 2 ish years of somewhat regular riding before things get too crazy again.