PDA

View Full Version : weather in Rochester, NY in Sept?

eddief
04-04-2005, 10:34 AM
A local club is considering a tour of the beloved Finger Lakes in Sept 2006. Being from CA, I was wondering what the humidity tends to be like in the Lakes Region in the Sept timeframe? I hate it when the Lycra sticks like glue.

dbrk
04-04-2005, 12:14 PM
Humidity is not much concern here in September, not at all. We often have very beautiful days though they are, by this time, cut short. It will be getting dark by 7ish (while at the heights of light we can have enough to get home as late as 9:40pm...). So it can be cool in the evening once the sun starts to get low on the horizon. Some might say that September is the most beautiful month in the Finger Lakes.

dbrk
not good for much, on an airplane all night...

Sandy
04-04-2005, 12:37 PM
Don't you and Mira, the wonder dog, control the weather in that neck of the woods? :)

Sunshine Showers Sprinkles Snow Sandy

davids
04-04-2005, 12:53 PM
I'm a frequent visitor to the area (my wife's family is in Rochester), and I have no trouble believing dbrk's statement about September in the Finger Lakes.

I took a long solo ride late last August, from Rochester out to Honeoye Lake and back - 50 miles of rolling farmland, beautiful vistas, and open roads. One of the highlights of my riding year!

BarryG
04-04-2005, 01:17 PM
Yeah, September is about THE best time of year to tour upstate New York.

mavic1010
04-04-2005, 01:33 PM
The only problem I encountered @ TdFL were my allergies. Never really had allergy problems here in So Cali, but by the last day, my nose was running like a faucet and my eyes were watery like there was no tomorrow. My suggestion...bring claritin...That is if you have allergies.

eddief
04-04-2005, 01:36 PM
and get a mucus report. Perhaps a case of TMI.

Thanks all for the encouraging info about FL in the Fall.

Kevan
04-04-2005, 02:05 PM
I thought the tears and runny nose was because of our parting as roomies.

djg
04-04-2005, 02:36 PM
The sledding is usually pretty bad in September. I'd wait a month.

I spent a good part of my childhood in the Rochester area (and finished high school there). Dbrk sounds exactly right to me, although I might add that, as with elsewhere in the northeast, it's partly a matter of luck--although September tends to be pretty nice, a given couple of days or so might be considerably gloomier, or chillier, or more rainy than average.

Ray
04-04-2005, 03:14 PM
The sledding is usually pretty bad in September. I'd wait a month.

I spent a good part of my childhood in the Rochester area (and finished high school there). Dbrk sounds exactly right to me, although I might add that, as with elsewhere in the northeast, it's partly a matter of luck--although September tends to be pretty nice, a given couple of days or so might be considerably gloomier, or chillier, or more rainy than average.
He's not kidding. The area can be beautiful in September and even into October, BUT I've experienced a couple of the coldest, wettest Labor Day's you could even imagine in the Rochester area. Just pure misery and not prepared for it - had to go buy all sorts of sweaters and warm pants and such.

-Ray

hypnos
04-04-2005, 04:17 PM
My favorite month!!!

dbrk
04-04-2005, 09:08 PM
He's not kidding. The area can be beautiful in September and even into October, BUT I've experienced a couple of the coldest, wettest Labor Day's you could even imagine in the Rochester area. Just pure misery and not prepared for it - had to go buy all sorts of sweaters and warm pants and such.
-Ray

Ray is correct. We are a four season town: Almost Winter, Winter, Still Winter, and Construction.

You all think that I use a handlebar bag _just_ because I'm a phred? Wool.

dbrk

soulspinner
04-04-2005, 09:13 PM
Just after labor day can be very nice or very cool....sometimes it seems like someone just turns the thermostat down outside. You never know what youre gonna get around this area.

SGP
04-05-2005, 06:35 AM
you are likely to have either a beautiful day, or a cold rainy one. some days will be both. too early for much of the fall color changes...