PDA

View Full Version : Knee replacement

mnoble485
06-25-2010, 08:10 AM
Just back from a visit with my Ortho M.D. Good news bad news. Left knee was drained and I was told it should be OK, right knee not so much.

I will be going in for a TKA (Total Knee) in about three weeks. I know with our demographics that I am not the first one here to have this done. What I am curious about is :

1. Anything I can do in the next three weeks to prepare?
2. How bad is it REALLY going to be.
3. How long will I be out of commision?

My wife says I am more worried about riding than work... I told her I had my priorities in order!

Thanks,

Mike

ahumblecycler
06-25-2010, 08:41 AM
My mom just had her knee replaced. She was not physically fit going into the surgery, but she did on a regular basis walk on the treadmill and such for 30 minutes. Nothing great but it was the best I could get her to do at age 59.

She was out of work for a little over 3 months. Her job responsibilities requires majority of time on her feet and navigating across different levels.

I spoke with her yesterday and she is back on the treadmill (has been for a while). She is pushing herself more than before, and she is pain free. She was not pain free in the beginning months. The first 6 weeks required a walker, and I had her purchase walking sticks after that (she hated the idea of a cane and walking sticks are easier to get in/out of vehicles). She was walking mostly unaided by 8-9 weeks.

Please keep physical fitness in perspective. The one mistake she made was pushing herself too much and expecting healing to be quicker. She regularly cried to me about how her bend angle was not where it should be. What she failed to ever account for was that her MCL was repaired simultaneously.

Consider what I have written and assess your personal level of fitness and willingness to endure pain. PT is never pleasant. The most progress occurs at the threshold of bad pain and good pain ... but at that point all pain feels bad. I can only sayyou will come out of this much better and if you keep the big picture in front you I suspect the time will fly by ... except that last week you are counting down to get on the bike.

On a final note, my mom's PT involved resistance cycling ... the old fashion, 1970's fashion.

Acotts
06-25-2010, 10:32 AM
Just remember, the key to a good custom knee is fit.

And dont try to shave grams here either. A durable knee will make you faster than a light knee.

false_Aest
06-25-2010, 10:58 AM
Hey man. Good luck with the replacement. For serious!

I started a poll for you.

I want you to be able to select that replacement with confidence. Having the people of the Serotta forum weigh in is the best way.

:beer:

SoCalSteve
06-25-2010, 11:18 AM

And dont try to shave grams here either. A durable knee will make you faster than a light knee.

Post of the day! Maybe even post of the week!

Very, very funny!

To the original poster, good luck with the knee!

Steve

jimp1234
06-25-2010, 12:33 PM
A few random thoughts. First the saying "don't ask a barber if you need a haircut" definitely applies to surgeons. Related to that and probably more importantly to you is that surgeons will almost always only recommend the one "method" or option, that they do in their practice. Now that's not necessarily bad given that surgical outcomes are related to how many procedures of a certain type a surgeon has done over time. (I'm assuming you've asked the basic question of your Doc about how many knee replacements of the type he's recommending he's actually done). However, if you are a candidate for a partial knee replacement, an osteotomy, or some other procedure, you may not find out about that option from your current surgeon. Unfortunately you have to do your own research and then find the Ortho who's doing the specific procedure that you think might be worth exploring. Btw, what's wrong with your knee(s)? For myself I have OA in both knees, and up to now I've elected to cut down on my activities including cycling rather than go under the knife. If at some point I need to get it done I'd opt for a PKR (partial) given that these seem to allow for quicker recovery, more ROM, and better for sports. (you may or may not be a candidate for this type of procedure). Here's a website you might check out (in particular take a look at the bulletin board). Good luck.

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/

mnoble485
06-25-2010, 01:26 PM
A few random thoughts. First the saying "don't ask a barber if you need a haircut" definitely applies to surgeons. Related to that and probably more importantly to you is that surgeons will almost always only recommend the one "method" or option, that they do in their practice. Now that's not necessarily bad given that surgical outcomes are related to how many procedures of a certain type a surgeon has done over time. (I'm assuming you've asked the basic question of your Doc about how many knee replacements of the type he's recommending he's actually done). However, if you are a candidate for a partial knee replacement, an osteotomy, or some other procedure, you may not find out about that option from your current surgeon. Unfortunately you have to do your own research and then find the Ortho who's doing the specific procedure that you think might be worth exploring. Btw, what's wrong with your knee(s)? For myself I have OA in both knees, and up to now I've elected to cut down on my activities including cycling rather than go under the knife. If at some point I need to get it done I'd opt for a PKR (partial) given that these seem to allow for quicker recovery, more ROM, and better for sports. (you may or may not be a candidate for this type of procedure). Here's a website you might check out (in particular take a look at the bulletin board). Good luck.

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/
Thanks. I have been considering this for several years.

I have had numerous operations allready and am pretty much bone on bone. the Doc that I am using is well respected in his field and I have the added benifit of working at the hospital where the surgery will be done.

Believe me I have explored all options but I am not a candidate for a partial. Estimates have me out of work for 4 to 6 weeks .

Mike

Volant
06-25-2010, 02:15 PM

:D - good post!

---

Good luck on the surgery. A good surgeon and how much you put into PT/recovery will be key.

dekindy
06-25-2010, 03:20 PM
My father's doctor told him to defer surgery as long as cortisone shots kept the pain away. Initially the shots lasted six months and eventually only lasted a few weeks, bone on bone as you say. The key to recovery appears to be using a machine and physical therapy right after surgery to keep the tissue flexible and prevent flexibility hindering scar tissue from forming. My father's first knee replacement got infected which prevented him from keeping the knee moving and it took a long time and lots of effort to regain flexibility. The second one had no infection and he knew what to do and it went smoothly. Good luck.

gone
06-25-2010, 07:01 PM
One of the questions you asked that no one has answered yet is how long you could expect to be out. I know someone who did a century on 1/10, had knee replacement on the left knee on 1/13, was riding again on 1/31 and did another century on 2/20. He then did centuries in March-May when he had the other knee replaced and will be shooting for at least one century in June.

You can come back pretty quick.

Edited to add: Update - he did his June century today.

wc1934
06-25-2010, 08:46 PM
I know a dude who had a total replacement - the recovery period was tough, did experience pain etc, but was committed to the pt schedule - don't know how long he was on the shelf but he now rides like a beast - you would NEVER know that he had a replacement - he wishes he had done it sooner.

Dave
06-26-2010, 12:03 PM
I wonder if any of these guys riding on replaced knees have any idea how long they will last. I'm probably facing knee replacement in the future. I'm getting the news on my latest MRI of the left knee on Tuesday. I expect to have my third surgery on that knee, sometime in July.

JohnC
06-27-2010, 11:25 PM
I had a partial replacement last October at 57 years of age. Three and a half weeks later I was on a bike riding. No clips and I had to "limp" with each pedal stroke but I could do 25-30 easy miles. I still have some swelling and soreness in it but it is almost at 100% and no doubt I will get to 100%. The arthritis pain is gone. I can climb and I can hammer (relatively speaking :D ).

I couldn't be happier with my decision to have it done. Without surgery the pain was going to limit my riding to little climbing and no hammering without huge pain. Whatever years I have left I'm living the best of them now. I wasn't going to wait so they could replace it when I no longer needed it to enjoy life.

Everybody's recovery is different but your an active person so I wouldn't worry about it. Whatever it takes you will be extremely happy with the outcome.

Best of luck to you.

I Want Sachs?
06-28-2010, 01:07 AM
[QUOTE=Acotts]Just remember, the key to a good custom knee is fit.
QUOTE]
So make sure you bring your bike to the surgeon and make sure he/she fits the knee to your bike geometry and crank length.

No seriously, find a good surgeon who has had good results within your community, and communicate what you want to be able to do afterwards as your goal for the surgery.

Start early with the rehab to regain mobility and prevent muscle shut down.