PDA

View Full Version : Commuting Help Needed

Keith A
04-03-2005, 10:00 PM
Well my wifes beloved van left us high and dry this weekend and I spent almost 5 hours waiting on a tow, instead of having fun at the beach with my 10 year old -- I even took Friday afternoon off to be with her :crap: It turns out to be a major problem -- the crankshaft actually broke. As I have discovered after doing some checking, this is a weak spot for several years of the Nissan Quests. The van is getting up their in years and I'm not sure what I'm going to do (repair or replace).

So my wife is going to be driving my GTi and I'm going to start commuting. I have always wanted to commute, but the lack of showers at my office is a big drawback. So I'm coming to you for some advise. I'm already planning to bring in some clothes and leave them there to change. But what do you do without a shower? My current plan is to take in the necessary bathroom essentials and bathe off as best as I can in the sink. I really don't see any other alternatives. Are there any other tips you might have?

Bradford
04-03-2005, 10:30 PM
Baby wipes work well to clean up. Also, try not to put on your work clothes until you cool down or you will start to sweat. I either stay in my cycling clothes for a while or put on a t shirt and shorts while I check my email. If you're office is casual enough, you can get away with it.

M_A_Martin
04-03-2005, 10:33 PM
Keith,
How far are you commuting?

Check in the neighborhood for a local gym or university.

My office doesn't have a shower, but I have four places within three miles of my work where I can go and for a nominal fee (or free at the college, I haven't checked the university) snag a shower then soft-pedal in to work, then I do a little baby-wipe magic after I cool down completely.

Sponge baths in the bathroom sink aren't really that bad...just make sure you're cooled down before you start otherwise it will be somewhat pointless.

Good luck! Sorry to hear about the van. (I'm glad to know that's an issue, I'm starting to shop mini vans so I can drive with my bikes inside...)

Climb01742
04-04-2005, 05:36 AM
i just went through the search for bike-friendly vehicles. two that stood out for very different reasons: honda element, rather enemic performance but amazing interior bike room and priced really well; and toyota 4-runner sport. which drove really well, actually deserved the "sport" attached.

William
04-04-2005, 05:44 AM
Sorry you broke down Keith. Glad everyone is OK.

Ditto on the baby wipes. They work. MA's suggestion is a good possiblity as well. Though, then there is the whole lock the bike up thing while you get cleaned up. All depends on convienence and how much time you can allow yourself.

William

Keith A
04-04-2005, 08:29 AM
Thanks to everyone for the replies thus far. The cool down issue is certainly something that I will need to deal with. Fortunately, my office is pretty casual and could get away with bike clothes for a little while -- especially if my door is shut. The baby wipes is also another good tip.

MA -- my commute isn't that far, only 7 miles one way. But I will be working this into my regular riding schedule, so 3 or 4 mornings will be longer rides. There is a facility that I might be able to use for a real shower that is pretty close and will check into this.

Climb -- Thanks for the input on the vehicles. However, this is my wife's transportation and the vehicle we use for road trips -- so people hauling is the first priority with gear hauling coming in second spot. With three kids still at home (for a little while longer), I think another van would best fit our needs.

BURCH
04-04-2005, 08:55 AM
I have the same situation here. No shower, but a casual office...

Baby Wipes are the key. Unless covered in mud, they will have you feeling clean and fresh....and smelling fresh too.

They are also great for backpacking trips!

Kevan
04-04-2005, 09:12 AM
This is how I've dealt with it...

The clothes swapping is the most difficult, but being only 7 miles away makes a swing by the office to pick up/drop off clothes a lot easier than my 25 miles.

If you don't want to join a gym nearby how about trying to workout a deal for using just their showers? That's what I do.

Wipes are good. Short hair and sink shampoo rinses generally work.

The under my desk space usually becomes my clothes line for the kit riding back home.

If someone asks, "What's that funny smell???"

the answer is, "I dunno!!!"

spiderman
04-04-2005, 09:23 AM
1) cool down with email before changing...
typically for me...after checking email,
i'll put scrubs on over my biking gear
do rounds at the hospital
and come back to my office to change
2) slow pedal the last mile or two
3) baby wipes work but i like the antibacterial gels the best!
4) roll your clothes when you pack them in daily...
5) if you bring your own coffee, cover the opening
with saran wrap and screw the lid on over the top...no leaking!

M_A_Martin
04-04-2005, 09:29 AM
Yeah, I don't *belong* to any of the facilities I shower at...

I'm formulating a plan to avoid the hunt for a morning shower in the area. I've found that the busses on some routes have bike racks on the front. The bus stop is about 2 miles from home, and I think I could get dropped near a rail trail that passes near work so I can cut my morning commute from 15-17 miles to say...5 or 6 total...and I could do that with just a baby wipe cleanup, not a full shower situation. Then I could take the long way home.

If I weren't commuting in a really congested area, I wouldn't consider the bus...but I am.

flydhest
04-04-2005, 10:29 AM
switch jobs and come work with me. We have a full locker room/gym in the basement.

Know much about macroeconomic policy?

weisan
04-04-2005, 10:40 AM
Keith-pal, sorry to hear about the recent loss of your family regular workhorse. With three kids in tow, I can understand the hassle. Just on the side, a hail-storm came by Austin area a week ago and every car dealership in town was hit by it, that dropped the price of their entire fleet . A friend of ours got a new Honda Odyssey for $19K, down from $25K. I thought that was a pretty good deal. Our 99' Caravan which only has 50K miles on it is receiving the royal treatment because we don't ever want to get stranded on the road and we expect it to run for at least the next ten years or so...for a Chrysler minivan, yeah right! :rolleyes: It had some transmission hiccups recently, I just pop open the pan this morning to drain off the fluid and putting in new ones. Hopefully that will fix the problem or else we are facing a $5K transmission rebuilt...for a car that has ONLY 50K miles, that's a joke. :crap:

M_A_Martin
04-04-2005, 10:46 AM
Fly: No. But I can write about anything without knowing anything about it...why should macroeconomic policy be so different?

I'm THERE!

(can I sleep in your basement??)

Keith A
04-04-2005, 10:49 AM
flydhest -- I'm not sure they taught us macroeconomics at the UF Engineering department. BTW, does DC have any surf?

weisan -- Thanks for the concern. Apparently the Dodge/Chysler minivans are well know for their transmission problems. I have several friends who have experienced this first hand. I also know a mechanic that worked at a Dodge dealership and he said they keep a stock of transmissions because the problem is so common.

flydhest
04-04-2005, 10:58 AM
Fly: No. But I can write about anything without knowing anything about it...why should macroeconomic policy be so different?

I'm THERE!

(can I sleep in your basement??)

Heck, you can have the second floor of the house.

Keith,

. . . Charlie don't surf

weisan
04-04-2005, 11:02 AM
Keith-pal...yep I am well aware of the infamous Chrysler's transmission scam.
If only I can be as savvy when it comes to purchasing a family van as I would in buying bikes. Oh well, it's all too late now and one can only hope.

If there's a competition out there for the most cared-for used minivan, I think ours will win hands-down with the amount of time and maintenance I put it personally, it's just ridiculous.

Trav
04-04-2005, 12:32 PM
Keith,
sorry to hear about the car but at least you're not totally stuck. my only opinion through experience is really about equipment. I like to use thick tires so i don't have to worry about a flat (common on my dirty abused roads). Also, if rain is a factor be ready. camelback makes a great pack for commuting and it comes with a raincover. I don't know if Schwinn still makes em but they did have Schwinn messenger bags that were waterproof. I used one for 3 years and never once had a rain issue. They were also the really cool old school fabric that they used to put on the banana seats.

weisan
04-04-2005, 01:21 PM
I am sure you have seen this already, Keith-pal, but no harm quoting it here again:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=6770&highlight=commuting