PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questionb WTB: Pedals

Skrawny
04-03-2005, 09:37 PM
Okay, this is a little embarrasing, but we're all friends here, right?

When I gave up running and bought my first road bike 2 yrs ago (I know, I'm the ubernewbie) I stuck the cheap SPD pedals on it from my mt bike. About 5,000 miles later (and now riding a legend) I'm still on the old pedals.

I'm researching getting new pedals but don't know much about the kinds, compatability, important qualities, float, etc. I have a history of runner's knee (when I was running) but have not had that problem much on the bike. If it is important: I am more of a spinner than a masher, and one of those fly weight climbers (hence the "nom de byte").

Any input would be helpful, I'm pretty clueless.

-s

MRB
04-03-2005, 10:26 PM
You have a lot of choices, including Time, Speedplay, Look, Shimano SPD road, Eggbeaters, etc. All have advantages and disadvantages.

The only ones that I have used are Look (actually shimano 7401) and Speedplay .

The Speedplay pedals are light, simple, and have a lot of "float". I have fouund that they are the easiest or quickest to get into, which is important if you are racing in a Criterium. Speedplays require a bit of maint. You have to lube the cleat as they can wear out fast, and you should grease the spindlle bearings.

The look system is pretty idiot proof, which is why I still use it.
If you like to walk around in your cycling shoes, you might consider Shimano's SPD Road.

HTH,

MRB

William
04-04-2005, 05:34 AM
MRB laid it out well. I rode SPD's for a few years and then switched over to Speedplays after some missed clips at the start of an important crit. Fool proof to cilp into and lots of clearence & float. Too much float for some people. I love the freedom though. Also, some people claim getting hot spots with them, not a problem I've experienced and I've been riding them since ~96.
The only draw back (similar to many pedal systems out there) is any walking on the shoes off the bike (clack, clack, ckack). That's the only place SPD's beat them...IMO.

William

Kevan
04-04-2005, 08:11 AM
The drillings in your shoes. SPD and Look-type cleat mountings are the most common but have different bolting patterns. Your shoes, assuming you wish to continue with them, may dictate the type of pedal system you select. Course, some shoes have interchangeable plates to address this concern.

The current trend for a lot of pedals is the Look-style drilling.

As for which pedal to buy, there's a lot to choose from and you need to find the set that works for you.