PDA

View Full Version : Bob trailer or more panniers?

hokoman
06-23-2010, 01:08 PM
I did a search and read about peoples opinions on both... anybody have recent experience? I rode from SF to LA (493 miles, got lost a couple places) a couple of weeks ago right off the couch (literally 3 miles riding this year) with some rear panniers on my road bike.... Going to be riding from Portland to SF in August and will be carrying more stuff (my friend is coming along, and I want to make it as easy as possible since she hasn't done anything like this before).... I was carrying 28 lbs of stuff (needed some things for when I got to LA to wear, etc) - this time, I'm thinking it'll probably be close to 50lbs.

Instead of my road bike with 39/53 and 12-27, i'll be taking my cross bike with 34/50 and 12/27, but i'll be in much better shape. considering ordering a new tubus front rack that attaches to the canti brake bosses up front and some new panniers to take her stuff, or just get a bob trailer and tow it all.

Thanks in advance!

Augi aka Hokoman

goonster
06-23-2010, 01:16 PM
I would avoid the trailer unless you absolutely have to have it.

The trailer adds much more weight by itself, greatly affects handling (borderline unstable above certain speeds for me), and creates all sorts of other hassles. For some things (e.g. very bulky items, extending the maxed-out on-bike storage) the trailer is a great solution, but if you can extend your load to front panniers, I'd say do that first.

johnnymossville
06-23-2010, 01:22 PM
Panniers. If you need more than that you are packing too much

goonster
06-23-2010, 01:27 PM
Panniers. If you need more than that you are packing too much
How about answering the question that is asked? He wants to partially take on the load of another rider.

Somewhere I have a copy of Adventure Cyclist that discusses the issue in detail. IIRC, the conclusion was that you can carry a lot more stuff with a trailer, but it detracts significantly from the pleasure of riding.

johnnymossville
06-23-2010, 01:36 PM
How about answering the question that is asked? He wants to partially take on the load of another rider.

Somewhere I have a copy of Adventure Cyclist that discusses the issue in detail. IIRC, the conclusion was that you can carry a lot more stuff with a trailer, but it detracts significantly from the pleasure of riding.

OK. he should be able to take more than enough for both with panniers.

Pulling a trailer, like you said, will probably make the trip much less enjoyable.

hokoman
06-23-2010, 01:42 PM
just from the couple of replies i got, thanks! i'll stick with panniers. that was my initial thought, but just wanted to make sure i was doing the right thing. i will be hauling all of my friends stuff, well, i'll let her keep her saddle bag on her bike.

here are pics from my sf to la ride if anyone cares to look at them. didn't take as many pics as i wanted to, my handlebar bag didn't come in time and so getting it out of my pannier was a major pita.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4092881&l=f020720124&id=542178388

johnnymossville
06-23-2010, 01:47 PM
Hokoman, Having fun is the most important part, panniers give you a more connected and confidence inspiring feeling. Pulling a trailer is ok, but there's always a few times during a tour where you've gotta react quickly and,... you know how that goes.

I think if possible, you should let her have a small handlebar bag for convenience. It won't effect the ride much and will be very handy.

I've done thousands of miles of touring and have a bit of experience.

just from the couple of replies i got, thanks! i'll stick with panniers. that was my initial thought, but just wanted to make sure i was doing the right thing. i will be hauling all of my friends stuff, well, i'll let her keep her saddle bag on her bike.

here are pics from my sf to la ride if anyone cares to look at them. didn't take as many pics as i wanted to, my handlebar bag didn't come in time and so getting it out of my pannier was a major pita.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4092881&l=f020720124&id=542178388

johnnymossville
06-23-2010, 01:57 PM
of course, this guy makes a great case for the trailer. :)

http://www.bikeroute.com/TrailervsPannier.php

veloduffer
06-23-2010, 04:03 PM
In the most recent Bicycle Times, there is a one wheel trailer that is a 700cc wheel - the Extrawheel Voyager (www.extrawheel.com). Takes medium panniers but also can be a spare wheel if you needed one.

Since it carries less than a BOB trailer, handling maybe less of an issue. It weighs 8lbs and with panniers, about 12lbs total. Carrying capacity is listed at 66 lbs.

Seems a bit like a in-between solution. Just another option to consider.

palincss
06-23-2010, 05:16 PM
Your friend ought to easily be able to carry at least some of the load in a rear seat bag, something like a Carradice Nelson. Even six to ten pounds would make a noticeable difference in your load, and probably not so much to her. And besides, it would be fair.

Also, if you weren't camping 28 pounds (your load on the first trip) is rather a lot for motel touring. I think there's plenty of room there for improvement. What did you carry that you didn't end up actually needing? Where could you save weight?

If you could get your and your friend's loads down to 20 pounds each and you got her to carry 8 pounds of her stuff, you wouldn't be all that much heavier than you were on your original trip. I'll bet you'll enjoy that a whole lot more than 50 pounds!

I tend to bring everything but the kitchen sink when I tour and don't have any lightweight off-the-bike clothes as some tourists do -- for example, my long pants weighed almost 2 pounds! -- and I manage fine on tour with 20 pounds, and that includes a spare tire, a small camera, 3 tubes and a rain jacket as well as clothing and toiletries.

hokoman
06-23-2010, 07:33 PM
Also, if you weren't camping 28 pounds (your load on the first trip) is rather a lot for motel touring. I think there's plenty of room there for improvement. What did you carry that you didn't end up actually needing? Where could you save weight?

i did camp, but i didn't bring a tent. as noted, a lot of the weight was my clothes i needed in los angeles for when i got there. walking around in mtn bike shoes and my kit wasn't going to work. this time around, i'll have my small 2 person tent, and some other things to make it bearable for her...

also, i think i would be able to deal with the extra weight better than she can - even if it's 8 lbs. she's tiny, and training hard but just want to make sure she has a great time. i know i will regardless of how much i'm huffing and puffing up the hills.

AngryScientist
06-24-2010, 07:16 AM
i'll echo the masses and say forget the trailer.

make sure to rethink everything you're carrying and brainstorm on what could do the same function, but LIGHTER. choices for street clothes probably have the biggest potential impact on the load carried.

if i may ask since i am an aspiring novice tourer, how many miles per day did you do from SF to LA? how many hours sleep? what type of camping? (in other words, as much as you care to expand on the touring "experience" - i would be very interested in)

good luck!

sg8357
06-24-2010, 07:25 AM
Can you UPS the civilian clothes to LA ?

Have you ridden the bike with panniers loaded with all your stuff ?
Some "touring" bikes handle like wet noodles when loaded, so
the trailer might be the lesser of two weevils.

hokoman
06-24-2010, 09:42 AM
My ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles was a total of 496 miles with my detours and getting lost riding out of Santa Cruz! I left on a Tuesday, and pulled into the Santa Monica Pier on Saturday. Basically, I doubled the mileage that the book "Riding the Pacific Coast" has routed. So 5 days, the longest day being 117 miles, and the shortest being 90. I didn't feel like I was riding too much, nor was I ever rushed. I slept in, until I woke up... no alarms. I actually only camped one night. In Santa Cruz and Santa Barbara, I stayed with friends. Just south of Big Sur, I camped, and in Pismo - they do not have camp bike sites anymore, so instead of paying $35 for a campsite, I paid $51 for a hotel room even though I had full intentions of camping.

It was such an amazing experience, I decided that I wanted to do the Portland to SF ride - the best part of the Pacific Coast Ride. A friend from Brazil who was visiting at the time got really excited and asked to join me. We're pinpointing dates, but I think I'll allocate 2 weeks to travel the 803 miles in the book with her. I think with detours it'll probably be closer to 900 miles, and originally I told her that 10 days would be enough... but I want to make sure she enjoys it, hence the additional days just in case.

I could have sent my clothes to LA via USPS and saved myself 25% of my weight, but it was such an impulse start, that I didn't even get to think about it. After Big Sur, I was going to stop at the post office if I saw one on the road to send my sleeping back, tarp, and sleeping pad home - but that would have only saved me less than 4 lbs, and by that point, I was feeling really strong.

When I started my ride, I only had a 3 mile mtn bike ride in this year. I did it off the couch with no base miles, but 3 days in, I was feeling really strong. The first day I thought I was going to have a million cramps.... luckily none I had to pull over for.

My only regret on this first trip down I have is that I didn't take more pictures... damn you handlebar bag! btw, i don't have a touring bike, I used my Bontrager Road Lite with a Tubus Fly rack. For Portland, I'm going to ride one of my cross bikes. Should be a much better ride.

AngryScientist
06-24-2010, 10:00 AM
thats really impressive as far as i'm concerned to go from the couch to daily century rides.

i plan to be in the san diego area for vacation in the beginning of august, and i'd like to get in at least a few looong rides to see the area on a rented bike.

Polyglot
06-24-2010, 04:04 PM
The basic rule to bicycle touring is to set out everything that you think that you need out on a bed and then throw away one half. At the end of the ride you will find that of the 50% you end up taking, you haven't used half of the stuff. I recall going touring for 8 months with less that 28 lbs of gear (and I needed dress clothes for a few special events), notwithstanding bivouac sac and other camping gear.

Sending things ahead is also a fantastic suggestion.

hokoman
06-24-2010, 04:09 PM
riding 100 miles isn't that hard if you're not hammering the whole time. the day goes by really quick, especially when you are taking in the views.

i'm a very light backpacker, so i know when people overpack etc, but everything that fit into my bag was used a couple times, if not everyday. i left my stove, cooking stuff in santa cruz once i realized that there are a ton of restaurants/stores along the route....

csm
06-24-2010, 05:02 PM
speaking of loaded touring.... has anyone seen this blog?

http://gdrwithsalsa.blogspot.com/

xjoex
06-24-2010, 07:40 PM
I have used both . My preference is for a trailer. When you start carrying a lot of weight in panniers, your bike handles like crap.

But with a trailer your bike handles much better loaded.

I really like the burley nomad.

-Joe