PDA

View Full Version : why cantilevers on cross bikes?

vqdriver
06-22-2010, 12:18 PM
i know the road levers don't have the proper cable pull. but considering the additional power of v brakes and the lack of heel clearance issues, is there a good reason not to just run problem solvers?

fourflys
06-22-2010, 12:32 PM
i know the road levers don't have the proper cable pull. but considering the additional power of v brakes and the lack of heel clearance issues, is there a good reason not to just run problem solvers?

lots of people in areas that aren't so muddy run v-brakes all the time... they're pretty popular in SoCal as there is no mud to speak of...

as far as heel clearence, the touring canti's take care of that...

redir
06-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Typically you don't need a whole lot of stopping power in a cross race and canti's fit the bill just fine while giving plenty of clearance for those muddy days. The UCI just aloud disk brakes so this ought to be interesting. I wanted to run disk brakes but didn't because of UCI rules but I'd love to not so much for the stopping power but because you won't grind the alloy off your rims, wear down brake pads, and you can keep on truckin with a bent rim.

130R
06-22-2010, 12:57 PM
i think stopping power has to do with pads.

different brakes however, in my opinion, offer different feelings of modulation

canti's don't offer very much modulation, but the brakes bite down hard and you'll get catapulted forward in an emergency stop for sure.

i have first hand knowledge of this :rolleyes: