PDA

View Full Version : Rim Depth

Steve K
06-22-2010, 07:09 AM
Hi:

I'll be buying a carbon wheel set and looking for opinions on what rim depth to go with. I'm ~198 pounds, live in Denver, ride the front range foot hills and mountains. Other areas of interest between rim depths; durability, rim heat. Trying to decide between 46 mm and 66mm looking for advice.

Thank you - Steve

regularguy412
06-22-2010, 08:58 PM
I've only owned my Easton EC 90 SLs for a very short time, but they are light and stiff. Also,, no weight limit. Rim depth is 38mm. Claimed weight of approx. 1250 grams for the set.

I researched for quite a long time before deciding on these wheels. So far,,I'm not at all disappointed.

Mike in AR :beer:

jmc22
06-22-2010, 09:53 PM
Being that you are in Colorado, as I am, I would not recommend anything over a 46mm for a better climbing/decending wheel depth and less issues in the afternoon winds if you want to make them an everyday wheelset.

I have a set of Reynolds DV46C that I break out in April when the roads are clean and run them straight thru October...great wheelset if you ask me, 3 yrs and 0 problems.

Jack Brunk
06-22-2010, 10:00 PM
For me there's a noticeable difference between a 45 mm and 68 mm wheel. If i had a choice I'd own nothing but edge 68's on all my road bikes. Stiff and compliant all in one package at 1200 grams is pure bliss.
One mans opinion. Oh and the aero benefit outweighs the cross wind issue. Again one mans opinion.

bigreen505
06-23-2010, 12:34 AM
I think it depends where you ride, but in general I would say it's probably best to stick with the 46 or smaller in the front. You might be able to get away with the 68 in back. Boulder and the Foothills get the goofiest wind. There aren't that many places I have ridden in the mountains where you are exposed and that gets big cross winds. Boulder and Golden are a very different story and I tend to be a little conservative after nearly getting blown into an oncoming car riding down NCAR on a lunch ride. Riding around places like Cherry Creek that seem to have a head wind all the way around the lake beg for a 68.

You also have to decide whether these are summer or year round wheels. Summer and fall winds are relatively constant. Winter and spring winds are gusty and swirly.

redir
06-23-2010, 07:58 AM
Oh and the aero benefit outweighs the cross wind issue. .

True but in CO the cross winds can be down right dangerous.

Steve K
06-23-2010, 08:17 AM
Seasonal wind patterns, That's a good point to consider.

Anyone have rim heat issues on descents. Sometimes you can't avoid having to bring the speed down. For example coming down Lookout Mtn into Golden you come up to a stop light for a highway. It is a half mile of 6-8% and you need to come to a full stop. I wonder what happens to rim breaking hard (even on/off) then layer in a 90+ degree day.

jmc22
06-23-2010, 09:25 AM
Seasonal wind patterns, That's a good point to consider.

Anyone have rim heat issues on descents. Sometimes you can't avoid having to bring the speed down. For example coming down Lookout Mtn into Golden you come up to a stop light for a highway. It is a half mile of 6-8% and you need to come to a full stop. I wonder what happens to rim breaking hard (even on/off) then layer in a 90+ degree day.

I don't ride Lookout Mtn just for the sake that there always seems to be so many other riders on the hill either trying to prove themselves or don't know how to get out of their own way.

I tend to ride Bear Creek up to Evergreen, Deer Creek to Conifer, Mt Evens, etc and have never experienced issues with heat buildup....while it's true Carbon does not dissipate the heat as readily as aluminum – I think you would have more of a concern it you elect to run tubular tires where you have to worry about softening to adhesive to the point of rolling a tire.

As with breaking with any rim, moderation is the key along with good pads.

Charles M
06-23-2010, 09:52 AM
Aero trumps weight

True but in CO the cross winds can be down right dangerous.

I agree with both...

I have to say that the latest version Zipp 303 might be the nicest all round wheel on the market in carbon tubulars...

Good review recently on Cyclingnews about em (which sucks because I just finished a review and now have to say basically the same stuff...)

VERY durable, very light (which has some importance) and the new shape is Aero performance competitive with older 404 Zipps and it's fantastic in cross winds. The new hubs are stand alone among the best in the market right now as well...

They are stiffer than anything Zipp have produced at or near that depth and they are strangely enough a very smooth riding wheel as well.

If I were buying a complete tubular wheel set today, it would be the base level 303 for anything hilly or rolling.

Rolling to flat, with a bit less concern about cross winds and there are a few deeper offerings I would take first