PDA

View Full Version : Saddle rotated off the centerline?

duke
06-21-2010, 09:47 AM
http://www.cobbcycling.com/cart/V-Flow_HC170_C1P6.cfm

Referencing the above link, does anyone have experience, good or bad, with rotating your saddle off the centerline as J. Cobb recommends on his website in the "Sit Chart". I don't think it would take long to wear out one side of my bibs with this set up but I am always looking for ways to be more comfortable.
duke

jmc22
06-21-2010, 09:59 AM
I don't think rotation of a saddle off it's centerline is the best solution for correcting the cause of you wearing out your shorts on one side vs the other.
Sight unseen if your saddle is straight (as it should be) your issue may be caused by a leg alignmnet issue for which either of these 2 products can help correct this:

Footbed wedges:
http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=In+The+Shoe+Wedges&vendorCode=BIKEFIT&major=5&minor=6

Cleat wedges:
http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=Wedge+Shims&vendorCode=BIKEFIT&major=5&minor=6

Birddog
06-21-2010, 10:23 AM
Back when I had OCD and was entering triathlons I did this. It works as described if you're down on the aero bars most of the time. Move the saddle the opposite of the way you "dress".

Richard
06-21-2010, 10:29 AM
Back in the days or yore, this was a tried and true method of dealing with misaligned pelivis's, leg length discrepency and other structural issues. Often the genesis would be a recurring saddle sore in one spot over time. A rotation of a couple of degrees often made the bike more comfortable and would relieve the area of the sore. Solutions such as this went out of favor (I think) with the proliferation of zillions of different saddle choices and the ability to sell expensive custom bike and fitting process to people who were uncomfortable with trial and error methods.

jlwdm
06-21-2010, 12:02 PM
I don't think rotation of a saddle off it's centerline is the best solution for correcting the cause of you wearing out your shorts on one side vs the other.

?????????????

The OP said it seems like this method my cause you to wear out one side of your shorts.

The OP does not mention that he has an issue.

Jeff

duke
06-21-2010, 01:13 PM
Nope, no issues just wondering who had any experience with this.
Thanks,
duke

spamjoshua
06-21-2010, 01:19 PM
I am still messing with cleat placement.

One of my legs is longer than the other.

One of my feet is longer than the other.

My flexibility needs improvement.

My seats have been cocked 3 degrees left of center for 20 years... I am more comfortable that way.

DRB
06-21-2010, 01:51 PM
A very timely comment! Do you remember how that wisdom went? So if a rider had a "recurring saddle sore in one spot over time" would you rotate the saddle a degree or two to the side of the sore or the opposite?

rustychain
06-21-2010, 02:02 PM
I ride with my saddle slightly off. Been doing so for ten plus years. No saddle wear. No issues at all. Much more comfortable for me. FYI I averaged 12000 miles a year for the last three year and around six to ten thousand a year before that. IMO it's an individual issue and also a saddle specific issue. I use a saddle that's slender in the nose section. Junk left saddle right. I'm 54 years old and can still pee so it can't be to bad ;)

Birddog
06-21-2010, 02:27 PM
Junk left saddle right
One man's junk is another man's treasure, er jewels.

Richard
06-21-2010, 02:40 PM
DRB -- My memory ain't what it used to be, but if I remember correctly, the answer still is to the opposite of how you dress. I've got a 50/50 chance here.