PDA

View Full Version : Pedal question

gasman
04-03-2005, 05:56 PM
I have used speedpaly frogs for my Mtn bike and my commuter. I wanted to try something that will let me release a bit more positively and give me some float. Well I should have talked to Matt Barkley beforehand. i bought some Time spd-compatable mtn pedals from my LBS. The pedals have some lateral float but very little rotational float. They feel secure and are reasonable in their release but after 2 weeks of commuting and sitting on the trainer (while on call) my knee ached all this last week. I rode hilly 80 miles yesterday with my speedplay X1s and the knee was suddenly fine. I even survived a high speed downhill blowout of my rear tire on a sharp corner- just slid a ways but stayed under control in part by getting my inside foot down and sliding. No problems with release. I didn't even have to think about it, this does not happen with my frogs.
Can someone reccomend a pedal with at least 10 degrees of rotational float that will hold well and release when it should ? It will be for my Mtn bike and my commuter

Your pedal needing guy.

gdw
04-03-2005, 07:13 PM
I use the Crank Bros Candy SL's and like them. They have 6 degrees of float but it seems like more. I tried Time Atacs for a couple hundred miles of riding and experienced knee pain but haven't had any complaints with the Candy's.
https://shop.crankbrothers.com/crankbrothers.html
You can buy new pairs on Ebay for under $65.00.

Frankwurst
04-03-2005, 07:27 PM
I use crank bros pedals on my mountain bike,road bike,and utility bike so obviously I like em. I'd do a little research on them,buy a good used pair on ebay,give em a try and if they don't work resell them and your not out a bunch of cash just some time. Good Luck :beer:

gasman
04-03-2005, 10:56 PM
Thanks guys for the replys.

Mary Ann if you see this how much rotational float do you get with the shimano pedals ?

M_A_Martin
04-03-2005, 11:18 PM
Hmmmm. I did see it...but I got rid of my frogs and ride crank bros egg beaters (which are candy's without the platform)...I like them better than Atacs or spds...but I don't know their numbers...

shinomaster
04-04-2005, 12:12 AM
I don't quite understand why you don't like the Frogs? I raced cross on mine last year and I never really popped out. I did have a hell of a time getting back in with all the mudd though...
Do you desire a "pop" when you release? :banana:

Dustin
04-04-2005, 06:22 AM
Bebops maybe? They've got 20 degrees of free float like the frogs, but I'm not sure whether the retention mechanism requires a more positive click to get in and out of or not.

gasman
04-04-2005, 09:20 AM
I don't quite understand why you don't like the Frogs? I raced cross on mine last year and I never really popped out. I did have a hell of a time getting back in with all the mudd though...
Do you desire a "pop" when you release? :banana:

I must be a klutz because I have difficulty unclipping when I'm going down on my Mtn bike. I have used the pedals for years and still stay clipped in when I don't want to stay clipped in, like when doing an endo. I have no problem with my speedplay X2's on the road and the Time Atac's don't seem to be a problem either, my knees just hurt after using them. The final reason to get rid of them was a buddy who shattered his elbow commuting when he went down using frogs because he couldn't unclip.

Kevan
04-04-2005, 09:53 AM
Simple... strong... small cleat... reasonably priced.

Kane
04-04-2005, 11:51 AM
Try the older version of Time mtn pedals. There is 12 to 16 degrees of float on them.

Kane