PDA

View Full Version : Another build for everyone to enjoy...

Dlevy05
06-20-2010, 06:11 PM
Hi everyone, I just wanted to share my very first road build with the forum. I hope you like it. This is a bike I'm planning on riding every day, clocking up many miles on, and keeping for a nice long while. The bike would have to endure everything from the common short ride around the neighborhood, to the occasional century and triathlon. One key factor worth mentioning is that I didn't want to purchase anything I could outgrow.

The process has been an interesting and difficult one, but I'm finally nearing the end. I thought I would share with everyone here, an account of my findings including the prices I came across for the things I purchased (something I think should be an open discussion, and is too often left out.) Anyway, let's begin!

The Frame:

I knew I wanted titanium - for comfort, durability, and looks. I started my search for a litespeed, and because of my build (longer legs, shorter torso), was considering an '03 Veneto. The one I was after sold for on e-bay for 650 (a great price, I think) but I wasn't the winning bidder. I realized soon after that the differences in the Veneto's geometry and fit were so close to that of a Tuscany, that I was ready to jump on an '05 Tuscany on craigslist for 750. But alas, by the time I saw the ad, the frame had been sold.

Distraught and fed up, I thought I'd never find a frame.

I posted an ad here looking for a ti frame, and got many great responses. (Thank you to everyone who offered me a bike.) Around the same time, however, I came across a 1999 Litespeed Vortex in pristine condition, on ebay classifieds. The asking price was 850 (high for such an older bike, but the seller was open to negotiation, as he had his eyes on a newer Vortex). I talked him down to 700, including an ouzo pro fork, a Chris King Headset, and Easton Carbon Seatpost. I'm willing to admit that it is a lot of money, but I justified it by focusing on the exceptional condition of the frame, the uniqueness of the build (6/4 titanium), and the fact that it came with the king headset and easton carbon seatpost.

Components:

I originally bought an Ultegra 6500 9spd groupset for 350, because I wanted to stay on a strict budget and come out under 1k, and this was the cheapest I could find one. At the time, this was a good price but I think prices have fallen since I bought, and I'm taking a bit of a loss now that I'm selling it.

I decided shortly after, that the components weren't fitting for the frame, and I should spring for a dura ace 7800 set. I am VERY satisfied with my decision. The parts arrived in the mail yesterday, and look great. A BIG thanks to theprep, for his help. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another product from him.

The parts cost me 550, and I spend another 50 on a new, in box 6600 Ultegra cassette.

Just to be clear, I do not regret going back on my decision to buy the 6500 set. I simply came to realize that it was not worth it to me to buy anything I thought would de-value my frame, or simply take away from its beauty. Because of this, I love the 7800 set, and wouldn't consider anything else. The difference in weight, between the two sets, is astounding too.

Additionally, I found a brand new Stella Azurra Stem and Handlebar (alloy, but astonishingly light) for 20 bucks, also off of craigslist. I had never heard of this company but I see their bars and stems retail for around 100 bucks each.

Wheels:

Lastly, the wheels. I had already gone over my budget by about three or four hundred dollars, so I was scrounging the market for a decent wheelset for under 200, that would last me. I had heard great things about open pro's and ksyriums and was fairly certain that's the route I wanted to go.

Craigslist in my area (the bay area) was very limited, so I turned to e-bay. I found open pros laced to ultegra or dura ace hubs going anywhere from 100 to 200 dollars, but every time I factored in the shipping, I felt I was overpaying for the item, and simply couldn't justify the purchase.

In terms of ksyriums, I was thinking of either equipes or elites, and even found a set of elites for 250, brand spanking new on e-bay. They were bought before I could make my move. However, I found a set of equipes shortly after. The asking was 175, and I bought them for 150, with continental tires. I figure they'll hold me down until I can afford to build a set of open pro's myself.

Conclusion:

So that's that. At a grand total of 1470, I finally have my first road bike. I tried my best to find the lowest prices I could, but I've realized that what was most important, was finding out what worked best for ME. I got caught up in a convoluted search for the best parts at the best price, that I had lost track of what I valued in what I was buying. My advice to anyone looking to build anything is to decide what's best for you, regardless of what's best for others, and lastly (if it's even a priority) searching for the best deal you can.

And lastly, even if you do wind up missing out on a deal, and even if you will never find a deal as good on as perfect of a product, you can ALWAYS find something else out there that will serve its purpose just as well, and you can be just as happy living with.

Enjoy the pic below. I'll post another when the parts are all on it, too. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks, and happy/safe riding to everyone.

Dlevy05
06-20-2010, 06:14 PM
Unfinished, in all her glory...

Dlevy05
06-20-2010, 06:23 PM
I just realized I wrote a novel. My apologies for not making it more concise. Also, I took the old litespeed stickers off of the fork with a blow dryer and a business card, along with some acetone-free nail polish remover. Worked like a charm.

rnhood
06-20-2010, 07:26 PM
Great job and the bike looks excellent. You can spend thousands more and not get any better bike. I'm sure it will ride superbly. Ride the h*ll out of it.

fourflys
06-20-2010, 07:40 PM
Looks great! I have a Litespeed Xicon myself and Love it... Ride Hard!

bobswire
06-20-2010, 09:05 PM
Looks sweet and great choice of components. You'll never regret the decision and if and when you should ever sell it you'll find it keeps its value well but your couch will look better with my frame. :D

avalonracing
06-20-2010, 09:17 PM
Nice job on the inexpensive build up on a good bike!

Dlevy05
06-20-2010, 09:25 PM
Haha! Very true, if only I had an orange frame!

The couch actually is from the '50s, from Brazil. I replaced the foam inside it and cleaned it myself...whew, that was a job...

Thanks for the words of encouragement, everyone.

Karl Lee
06-20-2010, 09:34 PM
Wow, you did great! NICE frame, I used to have almost the same exact one, a 57cm and it was a fantastic bike, I rode that thing everywhere including dirt roads. You did a good job with the wheels, too. Great bike, excellent investment! Have fun on it.

jlwdm
06-20-2010, 09:51 PM
Nice bike.

I disagree with you on everyone telling what they paid for bikes and components.

I would prefer to hear how a bike rides or components are working for you.

Jeff

Dlevy05
06-20-2010, 10:15 PM
Ah, yes. I'll definitely comment on the ride once it's built. And I usually am more interested in it, too. But I meant to comment on the price, only to offer a perspective on my buying process for others that may be in a similar situation (looking to buy, or those who have just bought). Only because that's what I have to offer, until it's built.

SEABREEZE
06-20-2010, 10:26 PM
Looks sweet and great choice of components. You'll never regret the decision and if and when you should ever sell it you'll find it keeps its value well but your couch will look better with my frame. :D

Holloween baby, I dig it..

I too own a orange pearl frame IF, but I was born on Holloween

SEABREEZE
06-20-2010, 10:33 PM
Delevy, you can post your bike in the custom bikes in this forum

fogrider
06-21-2010, 02:16 AM
I've always liked the vortex...when I was looking for a ti frame, it was one of the ti frames on my list along with the merlin extralight, moots and I ended up with a legend ti. the thing about ti bikes is that they have a industrial chic to them. ti bikes are not about flash.

soulspinner
06-21-2010, 04:55 AM
Very well done. :beer:

Dlevy05
06-21-2010, 11:36 AM
Thanks everyone.

I suppose the one thing I'm missing out on is the integrated headset (which made it's way into the market shortly after my frame was made).

So I'm wondering, what's the difference? I'll admit, I do like look of a beefy headtube with an integrated headset.

54ny77
06-21-2010, 12:02 PM
I'll admit, I do like look of a beefy headtube...

here you go.

http://www.vintageseattle.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/meat_market_03.jpg

Dlevy05
06-21-2010, 12:22 PM
Heaven,

I'm in Heaven,

Dancing cheek to cheek....

nahtnoj
06-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Ride report?

You did a hell of a job getting all that for $1470.

I owned a Vortex briefly. Bought it knowing that it was too small, but got it cheap enough that I wanted to ride it for a bit to see what it was all about. A very interesting bike, but not a ride that I would describe as comfortable.

John M
06-21-2010, 04:18 PM
I suppose the one thing I'm missing out on is the integrated headset (which made it's way into the market shortly after my frame was made).

So I'm wondering, what's the difference? I'll admit, I do like look of a beefy headtube with an integrated headset.

Functionally, no difference--I've ridden both types extensively. My opinion is that you are better off with a standard press-in headset, because over the long run parts for the integrated might become unavailable.

avalonracing
06-21-2010, 05:50 PM
Yes, you are better off with the standard headset. Bombproof and lots of color choices!